Jump to content

Dear Visitors

If your confirmation email doesn't arrive, give us some time while we manually approve your account. Support ticket is not necessary, we are checking new registrations regularly and approving if registration requirements are met.

Please read Rules & Guidelines before posting around Forums. Information we seek is minimal and in the end saves us a lot of time and we are able to provide solutions faster.

Please consider supporting us via Contributions for all the work we are doing. Contributing even with the smallest amount, will remove ALL AD's and unlock some nice features like being able to be Tipped for providing help, or file etc.


Proposal of new Tagging System & integration of C4D - Blender - Houdini


Igor

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, hikarubr said:

Jokes aside, I think it's a great idea!

 

I remember when CGTalk used to be an important place for the 3D community and they had this rule against software vs software threads, which I always thought was silly. Yes, there is a danger of such threads becoming flame wars, but with good moderation the information could be priceless for beginners.

 

I hate when veterans tell beginners that "it doesn't matter the software you use". Well, it does matter professionally. My last three full time positions specifically asked for someone with Maya knowledge. I would not get them just with my Cinema4D skills.

 

Also, some programs ARE better than others in some areas. Maya is miles ahead of any other general 3D software for character animation, rigging and skinning. Cinema 4D used to be miles ahead in Mograph and easy of use (not so much anymore), Zbrush is still king for sculpting (even though I like 3dCoat a lot), 3ds Max works much better with Revit and other engineering/architect software, Houdini is the king of parametric modeling, and so on and so forth.

 

So yes, I think this new forum idea for software comparison would be great. I don't think you need the sub-forums though. 

I would agree with everything you said except that we don't need the sub-forum. For what I am thinking of doing, yes we do. Especially if you want to make things clear to everyone what this will be and how it will work and in the end it should be easy to reach knowledge base. 

U-Render Quality Assurance Specialist | Core4D Contributions

Link to comment
7 hours ago, Igor said:

I would agree with everything you said except that we don't need the sub-forum. For what I am thinking of doing, yes we do. Especially if you want to make things clear to everyone what this will be and how it will work and in the end it should be easy to reach knowledge base. 

I think I wasn't clear. I think we need the general sub-forum (the software vs software one) but not the sub-forums inside that (modeling vs modelinig, rendering vs rendering, etc...). I think people will participate more with just one big sub-forum. Just my 2 cents, it's up to you, of course.

Link to comment
1 minute ago, hikarubr said:

I think I wasn't clear. I think we need the general sub-forum (the software vs software one) but not the sub-forums inside that (modeling vs modelinig, rendering vs rendering, etc...). I think people will participate more with just one big sub-forum. Just my 2 cents, it's up to you, of course.

Its really not that easy. When you start think about it a bit more, it becomes a bit harder than just lets do it and it will be like this or that. Gets even harder is you try to organize it so its easy to follow and reach and pretty much self explanatory. People are often confused so its really a key to make things clear as possible. 

 

I already started to make two example which I am not sure will I be able to finish today but for tomorrow Ill definitely have something to show, then we can go from there.

 

I have two different places and two different schemes how we could do this so its clear and easy concept to understand.

U-Render Quality Assurance Specialist | Core4D Contributions

Link to comment

@Igor

I know the subforum titles are only a work-in-progress, but I would suggest not to include any number or names of DCC's in the title itself.

As this title might soon become obsolete as soon as a new DCC is added to the list.

So while "The beauty of 4 ..." might sound nice and to the point NOW, it might be already obsolete by tomorrow.

Just a suggestion.

 

Also, I am a bit afraid that the need to move requests to the appropriate sub-section might soon become a bottle-neck. Since you already mention that you don't have enough hours in a day, I feel that the need to move topics manually is a big no-no.

 

Can you provide a tag for each of the DCC to be discussed? This would require the user who creates a request to select the appropriate DCC-tag. This could help manage the different topics. And it would also avoid the need to include the DCC in the title (as your example illustrated).

On the other hand, when does one decide to move the topic? When does one tag the request as being "solved/done"? Who does this tagging?

I have more than once seen people ask question in the forum, with members providing one or more answers ... but no further actions or response from the original poster.

There needs to be some discipline from the requestor to tag the request, but there is no guarantee. Which will soon lead to a cluttered subforum.

And I don't think moderators have so much free time at their disposal to clean up after everyone lacking discipline, right?

 

Link to comment
27 minutes ago, dast said:

I know the subforum titles are only a work-in-progress, but I would suggest not to include any number or names of DCC's in the title itself.

As this title might soon become obsolete as soon as a new DCC is added to the list.

So while "The beauty of 4 ..." might sound nice and to the point NOW, it might be already obsolete by tomorrow.

Just a suggestion.

Indeed, I agreed...makes sense, Ill change it to something else.

 

28 minutes ago, dast said:

Also, I am a bit afraid that the need to move requests to the appropriate sub-section might soon become a bottle-neck. Since you already mention that you don't have enough hours in a day, I feel that the need to move topics manually is a big no-no.

I think we gonna be ok here, becaue I have 3 moderators and 2 more will join to help me with Houdini section. So I think it will be ok and managable. I dont expect much topics per day.

 

29 minutes ago, dast said:

Can you provide a tag for each of the DCC to be discussed? This would require the user who creates a request to select the appropriate DCC-tag. This could help manage the different topics. And it would also avoid the need to include the DCC in the title (as your example illustrated).

Yes I can, of course, Ill do that...

 

30 minutes ago, dast said:

On the other hand, when does one decide to move the topic? When does one tag the request as being "solved/done"? Who does this tagging?

I have more than once seen people ask question in the forum, with members providing one or more answers ... but no further actions or response from the original poster.

Moderators will do that once we have enough info on the topic or request, or we can take a request and make separate topic in DCC subforum and then mark request later as Done. SO in that case we would not move requests anywhere but simply marked them done once we fulfilled what is requested.

 

When I better think about it, its seems that it would be better if we simply have tags as statuses and make separate topics in corresponding DCC subforms . So no one would have to move requests, but as soon as request is fulfilled, request can be marked as Solved. 

 

35 minutes ago, dast said:

There needs to be some discipline from the requestor to tag the request, but there is no guarantee. Which will soon lead to a cluttered subforum.

And I don't think moderators have so much free time at their disposal to clean up after everyone lacking discipline, right?

Its hard to say, but we can try and see how it goes and adjust in the meantime. 

U-Render Quality Assurance Specialist | Core4D Contributions

Link to comment

Don't have time to review/critique tonight, but I'll briefly add one concern

 

UX designers talk about the importance of discoverability. Sometimes when forums try to add all kinds of separate rooms/sections...it breaks discoverability, forcing people to fish around for active discussions. It can also make navigation more tedious.

Link to comment
6 hours ago, Icecaveman said:

Don't have time to review/critique tonight, but I'll briefly add one concern

 

UX designers talk about the importance of discoverability. Sometimes when forums try to add all kinds of separate rooms/sections...it breaks discoverability, forcing people to fish around for active discussions. It can also make navigation more tedious.

Well that why I am asking for help and feedback. What we want to do here is to create a place where we could talk and discover workflows from DCCs like Blender or Houdini etc. 

U-Render Quality Assurance Specialist | Core4D Contributions

Link to comment

Igor - the first thing to say is thank you for your efforts in thinking how best to set this up and your proposals : )

 

However - for me the whole thing is too complex and too rigid. Personally I'd just have one forum. However I would make it essential that the original poster tags the post to make it searchable. Maybe you could set up tags for 'Home DCC' - eg: I'm doing this in 'C4D' and 'Target DCC(s) eg; I'm interested in how to do this in 'Blender' or 'Houdini' or 'Any'. And tags of course for the 'Topic area'

 

I think having all the subforums just makes it too complex, too hard work for moderators and too hard to discover for occasional users.

It also makes it difficult when a topic area falls outside of easily identifiable categories. For example, one area I would like to discuss is C4D 'Takes' - ie, does Blender or Houdini have something eqivalent to that functionality?  Where would that go?  It wouldn't fit anywhere and would therefore be easily lost.

 

As Dast suggests - I'd also drop any idea of a specific number of DCC's - there's lots of related tools and techniques that might come into play. For example a modelling request might best be solved with something like Zbrush, or MOI3d or something else that is not necessarily a full blown DCC.

 

So, in summary: I'd keep it simple. Very simple.

 

 

 

Link to comment
32 minutes ago, Mike A said:

So, in summary: I'd keep it simple. Very simple.

 

 

 

Agree 100%. Keeping it simple will allow it to be more flexible, fluid, discoverable. Great idea w/the tags. One forum for any comparisons of processes/different app....that's plenty. 

Link to comment

I think having sub-forums is useful to future viewers who will appreciate the categorization, but are cumbersome for more active/live viewers who just want to see anything that's new without digging any deeper. 

Link to comment
12 hours ago, Igor said:

Well that why I am asking for help and feedback. What we want to do here is to create a place where we could talk and discover workflows from DCCs like Blender or Houdini etc. 

Hi Igor. Thanks for all of your work. As I said before, I think the sub-forums are not the best idea, as the other users also commented. Keep it simple, just one forum for this kind of discussion and I think you'll be all set. 

Link to comment
  • Igor changed the title to Proposal of new Tagging System & integration of C4D - Blender - Houdini

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • LATEST ACTIVITIES

    1. 462

      Cinema R25 Release

    2. 3

      Angle difference between 2 matrices

    3. 462

      Cinema R25 Release

    4. 462

      Cinema R25 Release

    5. 462

      Cinema R25 Release

×
×
  • Create New...

Copyright Core 4D © 2021 Powered by Invision Community