Proposal of new Tagging System & integration of C4D - Blender - Houdini

Guest Igor

I think this is a great idea as more people are using more than just C4D here or are transitioning to other software for certain projects. I am working on a C4D project now but I plan the next one, for example, to be in Blender as that is the only way I will fin ally learn to use it. I will be sure to be taking note on what works for me better in C4D or in Blender. 

Great to see people are genuinely interested. I also think this could be super nice if done correctly. Ill make a first draft for myself tonight and then will try to setup forums tomorrow. 

Thanks for the ideas, I might include voting for this topic! ☺️

8 hours ago, hikarubr said:

Jokes aside, I think it's a great idea!

I remember when CGTalk used to be an important place for the 3D community and they had this rule against software vs software threads, which I always thought was silly. Yes, there is a danger of such threads becoming flame wars, but with good moderation the information could be priceless for beginners.

I hate when veterans tell beginners that "it doesn't matter the software you use". Well, it does matter professionally. My last three full time positions specifically asked for someone with Maya knowledge. I would not get them just with my Cinema4D skills.

Also, some programs ARE better than others in some areas. Maya is miles ahead of any other general 3D software for character animation, rigging and skinning. Cinema 4D used to be miles ahead in Mograph and easy of use (not so much anymore), Zbrush is still king for sculpting (even though I like 3dCoat a lot), 3ds Max works much better with Revit and other engineering/architect software, Houdini is the king of parametric modeling, and so on and so forth.

So yes, I think this new forum idea for software comparison would be great. I don't think you need the sub-forums though. 

I would agree with everything you said except that we don't need the sub-forum. For what I am thinking of doing, yes we do. Especially if you want to make things clear to everyone what this will be and how it will work and in the end it should be easy to reach knowledge base. 

1 minute ago, hikarubr said:

I think I wasn't clear. I think we need the general sub-forum (the software vs software one) but not the sub-forums inside that (modeling vs modelinig, rendering vs rendering, etc...). I think people will participate more with just one big sub-forum. Just my 2 cents, it's up to you, of course.

Its really not that easy. When you start think about it a bit more, it becomes a bit harder than just lets do it and it will be like this or that. Gets even harder is you try to organize it so its easy to follow and reach and pretty much self explanatory. People are often confused so its really a key to make things clear as possible. 

I already started to make two example which I am not sure will I be able to finish today but for tomorrow Ill definitely have something to show, then we can go from there.

I have two different places and two different schemes how we could do this so its clear and easy concept to understand.

• Guest changed the title to Proposal of new Tagging System & integration of C4D - Blender - Houdini

Copyright Core 4D © 2023 Powered by Invision Community