Push cloned objects with another object?

Go to solution Solved by Cerbera,

One of those topics where I don't know how to ask it or even what to search for.

What I'm trying to achieve is an object being pushed back  by another object passing by. In this current case, its a shark passing through a kelp forest and the kelp's pushed aside.

I've tried using the Collision Deformer and having a primitive be in place, but the cloned objects don't react to it,  and I'm not sure how else I can approach this since I'm still relatively green with Mograph right now.  I do have X-Particles as well, so if Mograph can't accomplish something like this I can research into that as a solution as well (Not that I'm much more experienced with XP)

Any thoughts?

• Solution

Collision deformer is almost certainly not the way to go here. That could not even begin to deal with a whole forest of kelp without grinding your system to a halt and cannot work within cloners.

You didn't say what your kelp was made from, but one idea might be to make it using hair and instanced geometry, That is relatively faster to calculate with a hair collider placed on the shark object for example, but you many run into issues with collisions failing if the kelp geo differs significantly from the hair driving it. It also has the advantage of being anchored at the base by default.

Otherwise you could also try regular dynamic collision, using dynamic connectors to anchor your kelp to the floor. That works with cloners !

Yet another plan would be to use cloth, and cloth colliders - that can be anchored via fix points, and if you turn gravity off, or make it positive, and use a turbulence or wind force you may be able to get some decent underwater movement into it as well.

CBR

42 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Collision deformer is almost certainly not the way to go here. That could not even begin to deal with a whole forest of kelp without grinding your system to a halt and cannot work within cloners.

You didn't say what your kelp was made from, but one idea might be to make it using hair and instanced geometry, That is relatively faster to calculate with a hair collider placed on the shark object for example, but you many run into issues with collisions failing if the kelp geo differs significantly from the hair driving it. It also has the advantage of being anchored at the base by default.

Otherwise you could also try regular dynamic collision, using dynamic connectors to anchor your kelp to the floor. That works with cloners !

Yet another plan would be to use cloth, and cloth colliders - that can be anchored via fix points, and if you turn gravity off, or make it positive, and use a turbulence or wind force you may be able to get some decent underwater movement into it as well.

CBR

Thanks for the advice - I neglected to mention that the kelp that'd be colliding with the shark were 2D planes with transparent images on them,  already using a Wind object to make them sway a bit so cloth or hair sound like they could work quite well. 

I saw someone use the Hair 'trick' to make a full fledged tree have its branches sway in the wind once - I'm surprised this didn't occur to me to try using it here too.  Not 100% certain how I'll approach that here though just yet, since I've never used Cinema's Hair before but at least I have some ideas to work off of now!

2 hours ago, Cerbera said:

CBR

I had a little luck with the Hair approach, don't know if something's wrong with the collider though or if I'm just doing something wrong  -  had to give up the placement MoGraph had setup with a Noise Shader falloff but a weightmap could probably achieve the same effect?

I know absolutely nothing about the Connectors dynamic so I passed by that one,  haven't given the Cloth approach a go just yet.

It's given me a lot of extra ideas for future projects though,  it's one thing that I loved about the old C4DCafe was seeing people's techniques and solutions to problems or obstacles that maybe someone didn't think of!

Copyright Core 4D © 2023 Powered by Invision Community