What would be some general rules in rigging?

Guest Igor

2 hours ago, Igor said:

Guys, when do you usually create weighting, before setting up controls or before?

The rig should fully function regardless of the weighting so I prefer to concentrate of getting through any challenges that may arise without weighting in place.  Your going to be Keyframing controllers not joints so I make sure the rig is complete first.  Keeping in mind your going to mirror the joints, controllers and any expressions applied. 

If your making your own mesh and are not 100% sure the topo is good enough, or joint placement there is nothing to stop you adding some joints during the modeling to learn where joint placement is best put, but this is best done on different limbs if in that early learning phase.  I make a single leg or arm, maybe a head and rig just that to go through the process. Remember in C4D you can move joints and force the mesh to adapt to the new positions within the Weight Tag holding Shift +Set bind pose.

Thats the way I work it, but Im not sure if there is a hard and set rule.

Dan

ArtStation    Website 

29 minutes ago, Rectro said:

Remember in C4D you can move joints and force the mesh to adapt to the new positions within the Weight Tag holding Shift +Set bind pose.

Thanks Dan, but I am rigging within Houdini. :)

6 minutes ago, Igor said:

Thanks Dan, but I am rigging within Houdini. 🙂

Yea, there should be some method to move joints after a mesh has be bound to Skeleton without deforming the mesh.  I would seek out a good tutorial on rigging in Houdini for these subjects to come up.  Its certainly a big bite to take into Houdini as rigging can get so complex.  Being how Houdini is very modular I wonder how well you can adapt a rig to work similar to C4D character rig for future use.

Dan

ArtStation    Website 

21 minutes ago, Rectro said:

Yea, there should be some method to move joints after a mesh has be bound to Skeleton without deforming the mesh.  I would seek out a good tutorial on rigging in Houdini for these subjects to come up.  Its certainly a big bite to take into Houdini as rigging can get so complex.  Being how Houdini is very modular I wonder how well you can adapt a rig to work similar to C4D character rig for future use.

Dan

Ill keep you posted. As KineFX is a beginning of new rigging system in Houdini, even with it’s first iteration of the tool, there is lot to learn and understand. So far things are going well. 🙂 I also already watched few tutorials but even those dont cover all general aspects of rigging, thats why all these questions. I wish I knew more about C4D rigging so I can compare workflows and all other stuff. 

13 minutes ago, Igor said:

Ill keep you posted. As KineFX is a beginning of new rigging system in Houdini, even with it’s first iteration of the tool, there is lot to learn and understand. So far things are going well. 🙂 I also already watched few tutorials but even those dont cover all general aspects of rigging, thats why all these questions. I wish I knew more about C4D rigging so I can compare workflows and all other stuff. 

I wouldn't call myself a Pro rigger by any stretch of the imagination but I have done some rigging in 3ds Max, Messiah Studio,  Modo and finally over to C4D.

They all share some common things. Joint placement and correct alignment, Ik/FK with blending or switching, Pole vectors, some form of scripting or expression,   controler Rig, Constraints Then binding/Skinning, weighting and correctional morphs.  They all suggest a type of name convention even very specific ones. I know it may be back tracking away from Houdini but Brett Bays character rigging is very comprehensive, learnt so much from him.

The newer versions of C4D had some major additions for rigging which I think ar worth while at least up to r23.

ArtStation    Website 

@Igor perhaps it might be worth your while applying the basic biped rig to your character in C4D following the built in help tutorials to start with. It’s less complicated than the advanced or cartoon rig. Then you can make it editable and take a look under the bonnet so to speak.

Only problem with auto rigs though is that they don’t show the fundamentals of how a rig works and like anything if you don’t know the fundamentals you can struggle later on.

I learnt a lot from books back the 2000s but it has stood the test of time and was easy to follow. Just built on that over the years.

Copyright Core 4D © 2023 Powered by Invision Community