Dear Visitors

If your confirmation email doesn't arrive, give us some time while we manually approve your account. Support ticket is not necessary, we are checking new registrations regularly and approving if registration requirements are met.

Please read Rules & Guidelines before posting around Forums. Information we seek is minimal and in the end saves us a lot of time and we are able to provide solutions faster.

Please consider supporting us via Contributions for all the work we are doing. Contributing even with the smallest amount, will remove ALL AD's and unlock some nice features like being able to be Tipped for providing help, or file etc.

Great to find a C4D community after so long

11 minutes ago, Macmangan said:

Batteries not included, Flight of the Navigator, explorers ( I built a huge miniature of the explorers junkyard over covid), Short circuit and iron giant.

Gods, your mind is like mine. 😉

I've got the soundtrack of Explorers - great music.

What 8-bit machine did/do you own then? Surprise us!

I knew it!

I myself got 5 22" Eagle kits a while ago - still building them.

And two weeks ago I received my 1984 8bit Elan Enterprise computer - new in the box straight from an obscure storage depot in Cairo, Egypt. My plan is to model it in 3D soon.

Afraid I am still going through a nostalgia-driven phase right now...

Enterprise64.jpg.c2053e4ce925f03700ce58cf47187218.jpg

There was a certain innocence to those 1980 backyard adventures.  It was at the time when VFX techniques were being developed and everything was new.  You look at the final shot of Explorers back then and go "How did they do that?"  Well...it was pure craft (fiber fill clouds glued to large crystal clear lexan sheets placed over over backlite graphics and shot from above).   Today you just go "It was done in the computer".

I also think that lack of knowledge of the old techniques hampers the younger generation using CGI.  100% of the challenge with the old techniques was "how do I make it look real?" which soon led to the adage that "you need to add detail that you would only notice if it was NOT there".   So I submit that lighting miniatures with real lights better prepares you for accurate light set-ups for models in the computer.  Real world experience automatically tells you what color the shadows should be on snow (they should have an element of blue in them) or how bright should the rim light be on a ship in space (you set the exposure for what is in the shadows of that rim light).   Today, you just shove everything under and HDRI dome and move on.

It is one thing to understand what is needed -- that is half the battle.  But another thing to understand how to achieve those missing elements in the computer.  That is where the knowledge of the old methods provide the best training.  Why did fiber fill clouds work so well (they allowed self shadowing and depth and you can feather the edges differently between each motion control pass to get that natural wispy effect).  Simple craft that really allowed innovation through experimentation rather quickly.

I miss the old days.  Don't forget Cocoon, Gremlins, Enemy Mine (great matte paintings), or Krull.  All the Lucasfilm movies -- the Spielberg movies and the James Cameron movies.  

Dave

Sorry...but I simply do not have enough faith to be an atheist.

Yes, I agree - Cocoon, Gremlins, The Last Starfighter, Ghostbusters (original), Explorers, Krull, Flight of the Navigator, and so on. There was a certain fun factor that is mostly missing in today's productions. Not always - there are exceptions. But overall, yes.

And I also agree that knowing how real physical models work can be a boon in CG. Heck, I was 12 when I got a super-8 camera with still shot capability for Christmas, and made my first Sci-fi set and movie with an Eagle moon landing kit. Frame-by-frame. 😀

Didn't the makers behind The Orville use a real model instead of pure CG?

@3D-Pangelyes I love all of that.  And those 80’a movies had some special magic.  That made me want to dream.

When I originally moved to California in 95, I wanted to make models and animatronics but was told that industry was dead, so I decided to look into the CG side of things.

but I still love the old ways and want to learn more which is why over the pandemic I built that for miniatures for a title sequence for explorers 2!  Lol. Still compositing the live actors into the shot.

DDCABF3E-C4D9-4F18-BCA4-DB68FE4D433A.jpeg

98579487-6531-4E73-9924-3EA088EFBAB3.jpeg

Oh wow, that is amazing. I initially thought your Explorers film is CG-made, but I doubted my eyes, because it felt too "not-perfect" and I was wondering how you got the CG to look like that.

Which explains it! Awesome. Thanks for your insight.

Real models and stop-motion are not dead at all. I've seen it used in several movies and other broadcasting work. But it is 'niche' indeed.

On 9/7/2021 at 1:43 AM, Igor said:

Here is the idea for the future. As you have a shape you are happy with, you can now simply retopologize the geometry and get all quads, or ar least much more decent and friendly topology. :cowboypistol:

He is, he was in the police club, ask him, I didn’t invent the term, he and @VECTOR did. 😄 

Always late to the party 🥳 as judge dredd would say " I am the law! "