Great to find a C4D community after so long

Macmangan

3 hours ago, Igor said:

Retopology could teach you great things. Great exercise for any modeler. 🙂

If you could upload .fbx file I would be happy to retopo it in Houdini for fun. 🙂

Haha, you’re probably right.  I do my best to keep things clean from the beginning because I hate doing things twice.  Sometimes, you just need to retool, haha.  I would upload an FBX, but he would probably want to jump off a bridge.  When I made it, I made it in hopes to be 3D printed and turned into an animatronic as well.  Things got a little messy, but the print worked!  Lol.  I’ll have to post the project once I figure out the proper spot.  I read the rules, just gotta learn my way around.

This is quite an introduction.

First look at your project and my yaw drops to the floor.

Reminds me of "Batteries not included", but mostly "Explorers" and "Flight of the Navigator". Ah, those 80s ! Great memories.

Looking forward to your next results, both your 3D visuals as your 3D printed works.

Thanks for sharing, and welcome to the Ca ... to the Core4D.

39 minutes ago, dast said:

This is quite an introduction.

First look at your project and my yaw drops to the floor.

Reminds me of "Batteries not included", but mostly "Explorers" and "Flight of the Navigator". Ah, those 80s ! Great memories.

Looking forward to your next results, both your 3D visuals as your 3D printed works.

Thanks for sharing, and welcome to the Ca ... to the Core4D.

Speaking of 80's....anyone else catch the robot from Short Circuit on the base holding the clay sculpture?  Not sure if that is a toy, a 3D printed object and/or if it has any articulation to it, but I would love to have it on my desk as  well.

Funny that when he said he sculpted it in clay first before he did the modeling, I did not think that he "actually" sculpted it in clay!  

Nice!  Old school!  The old methods are just as valid (and sometimes better) than the new!

Dave

Sorry...but I simply do not have enough faith to be an atheist.

52 minutes ago, 3D-Pangel said:

anyone else catch the robot from Short Circuit on the base holding the clay sculpture

Nope, missed Johnny 5 as I only had eyes for the sculpt.

EVERYONE STOP POSTING TO THIS THREAD UNTIL YOU HAVE SEEN THIS:  (3) A Boy and His UFO teaser Trailer early test - YouTube

OMG!  And here we are looking at his wireframes and going "Gee...would have been great if not for the lack of quads in some areas".

Was this all done by you or did you have any help (other than Gene Wilder 🙂 who is the only other name in the credits)?

We will of course will want to know ALL the details:

Shot 1: 

1) Was the drone footage in the forest from a stock reel or did you shoot it yourself?

2) What software was used for the rotoscoping?  Motion tracking?  

Shot 2:  The bird that flies  in front of the robot in the second shot when he is on the road has to be animated.  I thought the road was just a background still until the bird flew by.  That gave the shot some much needed life.  Very well done.  Who did the robot sound effects?  Also very well done.

Shot 3: Was fluid sim's used for the clouds or was that again stock footage? If stock footage, the masking must have been painful.

Shot 4: Who is the little boy?  Was he lifted from another movie?

Shot 5:  Masterful.  I love the lightening.  Matching the lightning to the lighting on the robot is very well done.

Shot 6: More stock footage or did you go out and rent a truck?  Match moving the robot to the truck is well done but yet believable because you added a slight rock to the whole rig.    Not sure if the truck is CG as well....it looks too real.  Modeling the chains over the robot must have been fun.

Who did the overall sound mixing?  Again, great balance, mood and very well done.

In the face of this quality, we can forgive a few triangles in the modeling.

Dave

P.S.  And there is more at his YouTube Channel: (3) the CRAFTINATOR - YouTube

Sorry...but I simply do not have enough faith to be an atheist.

That's pretty cool.

It reminds me an awful lot of a mix of the classic Flight of the Navigator and The Iron Giant - which is a good thing. I loved both films.

@Macmangan Were you inspired by those?

There's even the truck trailer UFO carrying scene:

i153153.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

2 hours ago, hvanderwegen said:

It reminds me an awful lot of a mix of the classic Flight of the Navigator and The Iron Giant - which is a good thing. I loved both films.

I think @Cerbera posted a topic about how this was made. 🙂

Haha, wow , yes you guys caught the johnny 5, 3d printed.  I’m a huge 80’s kid adventure film nerd.  I started writing a script for a movie I wanted to make 7 years ago, and it took 7 years to get a design I liked for the ship.  Cute but still could look like a serious scifi ship.  It was absolutely inspired by Batteries not included, Flight of the Navigator, explorers ( I built a huge miniature of the explorers junkyard over covid), Short circuit and iron giant.

@3D-Pangelthis was all done by me and Gene and background plates from the PEXEL.com for testing.  I do have some people that will be helping make the movie once we shoot a full trailer then do all the effects.  The teaser was a proof of concept of how much could be done by one person.

Shot1

1)      Stock footage, and I motion tracked in after effects along with the bad compositing, haha.  Don’t look to close.

2)      All after effects

Shot 2

The bird I animated from a still image using after effects and lots of blur.  The BG is just a crappy HDRI with a shadowcatcher for the road.  Nothing fancy.

Shot 3

That was a still photo, I just cheated all cloud movement in after effects.  And just comped it in.  although the animation is not good, I was gonna fix it, but only had an hour.

Shot 4

The little boy I stole from… Super 8!  Test movie trailers trying to get funding often take from other movies for placeholders, but we are now looking to shoot the actors for the full trailer.

Shot 5

thanks!  Fun shot, super easy of course.  Did all the ship lighting effects in after effects.

Shot 6

The bg was from PEXELS.com as well.  The truck is CG from turbosquid.  I just had to texture it which for me is super tough.  All light done by HDRI.  I made the truck trailer a bit shaking back and forth, not that you can notice, but you can really tell when it’s not there.  The chains I used a spline and the object cloner, made it way easer to deal with.

Sound I did myself.  I’m an editor by trade over at WB animation. 

You guys are way too kind.  Thanks!  And always looking for advice.  Sorry if I’m overloading on this text.  Trying to cover the question haha.

oh here's a pic of adding a weld around the sign patch.  no one will ever see it, but it adds a tiny bit of realism.  In the story, kids a re rebuilding the ship and patching it up with old street signs.

weld 3.jpg

Copyright Core 4D © 2023 Powered by Invision Community