Clarisse iFX

hobbyist

• Customer

Hi all,

I came across Clarisse last year spending a weekend watching as many presentations as I could. It's something I'm very keen to get into my workflow particularly for large scenes. There are some old posts in this forum but no details really.

They sell a perpetual Indie version for very reasonable price so I bought it. They do have a learning version but with all the tools going subscription I kind of panic bought it before they ever decide to switch. 

The developers and owners are very accessible with daily interactions through the web forum and unofficial discord channel. Very helpful community like here too.

The last year or so I've been learning Redshift, Octane, Houdini, Clarisse, AE and will be spending few months with PS and AI next. It's not to be an expert in any of these but I want a familiarity with them in order to produce the content I intend to.

Trying to fit this in with a full-time IT job is a bit tricky at times, but nothings comes easy if want it enough I guess. 

Anyway ramble over, I saw Andrey Lebrov post a good brief overview of it along with a discount code (valid for 90 days) if anyone is interested. I've been chipping away at some Wingfox tutorials for it which have been great. Some of it is dated and subtitles not make much sense at times, but it's the actions on screen to follow.

Render is currently CPU thread count based with a viewport of CPU/GPU. GPU render "Angie" will be release at some stage hopefully this year.

Looks great, I was checking it few weeks back, but I don't have enough time in a day to tackle all of those DCCs. So one by one, at some point Ill probably at least try it out before going hard into it. 

• Customer
5 minutes ago, Igor said:

Looks great, I was checking it few weeks back, but I don't have enough time in a day to tackle all of those DCCs. So one by one, at some point Ill probably at least try it out before going hard into it. 

Yeah totally man. Time is the biggest challenge to manage. I'm always impressed by people who are working a job, parents and trying to fit in learning new skills. 

I used to think staying up late nights learning was the way, but that was the worst thing to do. It'd affect concentration the following days and take twice as long to learn stuff.

As the saying goes it's a marathon not a race. That's not to say you can't learn basics of something to get a certain task done. Lots of people learn that way. I guess each person has their own way.

Oh by the way @IgorI'm glad you re-enabled the reaction button to your posts! 😁

5 minutes ago, hobbyist said:

I used to think staying up late nights learning was the way, but that was the worst thing to do. It'd affect concentration the following days and take twice as long to learn stuff.

That is most certainly not the way. Best is to learn in the morning when you are totally fresh. But also a healthy lifestyle will help too. It might sounds silly but I went to extent where I stopped eating all the sugars, crappy foods and trying to cook fresh and my own as much as I can. And of course being consistent and not jumping around from one to another DCC's. As these topics are complicated, you can easily forget what you have learned. 

What I do at night before sleep, is watching tutorials if I dont watch Start Trek (at the moment I am watching Deep Space 9 😄 ) . Also, I often starting watching tutorials in the morning too if I get up to early before work and of course taking notes as much as I can. Writing down things is super useful. 

11 minutes ago, hobbyist said:

Oh by the way @IgorI'm glad you re-enabled the reaction button to your posts! 

I had to in the end, as many people asked for it 😄 

• Customer
2 hours ago, Igor said:

That is most certainly not the way. Best is to learn in the morning when you are totally fresh. But also a healthy lifestyle will help too. It might sounds silly but I went to extent where I stopped eating all the sugars, crappy foods and trying to cook fresh and my own as much as I can. And of course being consistent and not jumping around from one to another DCC's. As these topics are complicated, you can easily forget what you have learned. 

That's an awesome routine man. Agree with everything you say. I slip in and out of phases of eating/sleeping well. I still have bad habit with sugary snacks. Everyone I know that removed sugar from their diet has greatly improved their health.

2 hours ago, Igor said:

What I do at night before sleep, is watching tutorials if I dont watch Start Trek (at the moment I am watching Deep Space 9 😄 ) . Also, I often starting watching tutorials in the morning too if I get up to early before work and of course taking notes as much as I can. Writing down things is super useful. 

DS9 is amazing. So many great characters! 

Good point on the early morning learning. Definitely with you on that too whenever it's possible. I'm just after moving house the last couple of months so it knocked any routine a bit sideways. 

I take a lot of notes. I tried using a locally installed wiki to keep the notes but it was a bit too clumsy. Instead now I've got massive Word documents. It slows down the learning but is great for refreshing on something if I haven't gone back to it for a couple of months.

When people ask me what my hobby is, I reply: "Learning new stuff" : )

There's so much good stuff to explore. I was aware of Clarrise but not much more. It does look amazing especially for larger scale and environmental type work.

Thanks for sharing.

I purchased a perpetual license of Redshift before it went subscription to use with my R20. Still need to buy me a new computer with GPU to use it.

Knowing what I know now it seems I better had spend the money on Clarisse instead.

I had heard about Clarisse some years ago, but never paid much attention as it still was a lot of money ... next to the yearly MSA.

Now that I have settled with R20, I am more tempted to invest in this Clarisse. And with the current discount code, that might just be the final push to take the plunge (... figure of speech).

4 hours ago, hobbyist said:

DS9 is amazing. So many great characters!

You cant beat Odo's and Quark genius and relationship, and Ferengi's are such an abstract species in the series, its super funny and interesting, total opposite of hu-mans. 😄 Every time they mention Rules of Acquisition, its hard not laugh. 😄

• Customer
6 hours ago, Mike A said:

When people ask me what my hobby is, I reply: "Learning new stuff" : )

There's so much good stuff to explore. I was aware of Clarrise but not much more. It does look amazing especially for larger scale and environmental type work.

Lifelong learning is the way! 

Yeah it was exactly the larger scale scenes that attracted me to it.

It can be a bit of a trap getting distracted by too many tools. I'm guilty of that for sure.

I'd like to hit pause on updating or buying any new tools so Clarisse is the last one for a couple of years...maybe

• Customer
5 hours ago, dast said:

Thanks for sharing.

I purchased a perpetual license of Redshift before it went subscription to use with my R20. Still need to buy me a new computer with GPU to use it.

Knowing what I know now it seems I better had spend the money on Clarisse instead.

I had heard about Clarisse some years ago, but never paid much attention as it still was a lot of money ... next to the yearly MSA.

Now that I have settled with R20, I am more tempted to invest in this Clarisse. And with the current discount code, that might just be the final push to take the plunge (... figure of speech).

Good stuff!

Yeah it wasn't until I was doing the Lights Camera Render course that I realized I needed a tool like Clarisse to do what I was trying to force C4D to do. Actually I'm just realizing that was only 6 months ago and not last year.  Jeez my comprehension of time is way off.

Could certainly 'fake it' to a certain extent in comp but my C4D rig was seriously chugging on a scene that was a breeze in Clarisse. I'm a bit away from doing a finished piece in Clarisse but know it will be where I eventually get to. 

4 hours ago, Igor said:

You cant beat Odo's and Quark genius and relationship, and Ferengi's are such an abstract species in the series, its super funny and interesting, total opposite of hu-mans. 😄 Every time they mention Rules of Acquisition, its hard not laugh. 😄

Quark was a legend. I think Garak was one of my favorites.

So many great performances and strong storylines for so many of the characters really. 

• Customer
4 hours ago, Macmangan said:

Wow, never heard of Clarisse, but now im Super curious.  Probably hard to change pipelines partway through projects though, haha.

Oh god yeah I wouldn't advise on a switch to it mid-project! lol

There's a bit of a learning curve although I'd be on the slow end of that curve. Like anything I guess, some people would switch to it like a duck to water. I was struggling with getting shaders to import en masse from the likes of Kitbash 3D. There are scripts that are posted in the Discord but I didn't spend enough time on that yet.

Same with Substance Paint into Clarisse script. A few months ago I figured it out. But then when substance made a change to their license and I updated it wouldn't work. I'll be spending more time on it in a few months so will learn proper again.