Clarisse iFX

hobbyist

On 9/9/2021 at 3:50 AM, Igor said:

Best is to learn in the morning when you are totally fresh.

Depends on your circadian rhythm, IMO. My mind is anything but fresh in the morning. Takes me 2 hours before the head clears. Been that way since I was a boy.

I was captivated by Clarisse about five years ago. Considered it. The conclusion I came to is that it's really best for movies, which isn't my thing. Maybe I'm wrong but I decided it would be a distraction.

Plus Unreal can handle massive scenes now.  But always fun to see another artist's journeys and explorations.

Neuro-plasticity is a real thing.   The more you continue to learn, the easier it will be to keep learning. 

I used to watch tutorials with C4D open in front of me and and constantly hitting the pause button to try new things.  What I found though is that nothing was really "sinking in".  I try what I learned, figured I had it down and then hit play again and go onto the next thing.

Well, in order to fit training into my daily routine I made a change only possible due to the pandemic.  When the gyms shut down, I canceled my gym membership.  When the world shut down, I canceled all vacations for two years.  As my wife, daughter and I exercise regularly, I put all that money into a gym in the basement -- including a 50 inch 4K TV with an ethernet hard line connection to my router (using ethernet over powerline).   That TV sits right in front of the Echelon bike and you can see quite clearly the UI interface on the TV while on the bike.   Also, having purchased the Udemy Blender Encyclopedia at a deal (48 hours of training for $12), they do allow you to download the courses (about 48 Gb worth).  That has been downloaded to a USB drive that the TV can play from.

What I have found while cycling, is that just listening and watching, without stopping to follow along in the DCC app, does get things to "sink in" better...particularly if I decide to re-watch the same tutorials as you do need to pay attention to the bike's exercise routine as well.  Then, once that is done, you go to the PC and you try what you have learned.   This is where you may struggle a bit, but it is in that straggle where things "sink" in and then permanently "set" in.

You couldn't do that at the gym so now that they are open, I am not going back.

Sorry...but I simply do not have enough faith to be an atheist.

2 hours ago, 3D-Pangel said:

I put all that money into a gym in the basement -- including a 50 inch 4K TV

Oh, what a great idea.  I did the opposite.  I turned my huge coffee table into a workshop space along with the kitchen table since I figured no one was coming over for a few years.  Ate ice cream and worked on projects.  Lol.  Got a lot of things done but also gained 90 pounds!  Haha Dobt!

I have spend quite a few hours watching some tutorials in order to get an idea what to expect if I would invest in this application.

First impressions are that this application would be a welcome addition as a tool for environment building I was planning in a few of my animated shorts (if I ever get the story completed to my liking).

However, most (if not all) tutorials and reviews I have been watching only talk about single images.

I have only seen a single tutorial where baked animations were imported. As of yet I have no real good idea what to think of this application in terms of animations.

I mainly followed their "A beginner's journey with Clarisse iFX" tutorial series, available on their website. While it was helpful to get to know the basics and the UI, I found it a terrible tutorial to follow. I have watched a few other youtube videos on the subject, but have yet to find the one(s) which show the workflow of creating assets, animating them, importing into Clarisse, build the scene, render the animation.

I still am unsure where to animate the camera? Is this an asset that needs to be animated in your 3D DCC and imported as an asset into the scene building? Or do you animate the camera inside Clarisse.

Still confused!

I would try the PLE if the saved files would be compatible with the purchased version. So I can actually use the work I created and not have to make it all over again once I had decided to purchase the product. Not sure I would have enough time learning from the PLE and not miss the discount-code deadline.

• Customer
4 hours ago, dast said:

I have spend quite a few hours watching some tutorials in order to get an idea what to expect if I would invest in this application.

First impressions are that this application would be a welcome addition as a tool for environment building I was planning in a few of my animated shorts (if I ever get the story completed to my liking).

However, most (if not all) tutorials and reviews I have been watching only talk about single images.

I have only seen a single tutorial where baked animations were imported. As of yet I have no real good idea what to think of this application in terms of animations.

I mainly followed their "A beginner's journey with Clarisse iFX" tutorial series, available on their website. While it was helpful to get to know the basics and the UI, I found it a terrible tutorial to follow. I have watched a few other youtube videos on the subject, but have yet to find the one(s) which show the workflow of creating assets, animating them, importing into Clarisse, build the scene, render the animation.

I still am unsure where to animate the camera? Is this an asset that needs to be animated in your 3D DCC and imported as an asset into the scene building? Or do you animate the camera inside Clarisse.

Still confused!

I would try the PLE if the saved files would be compatible with the purchased version. So I can actually use the work I created and not have to make it all over again once I had decided to purchase the product. Not sure I would have enough time learning from the PLE and not miss the discount-code deadline.

Yeah it took me a while to wrap my head around the workflow. I'm still figuring it out but from what I found is:

All animation is done in DCC of choice e.g. C4D, Blender etc. Bake out that animation in Alembic and bring into Clarisse.

Cameras are also baked out and brought in this way too. 

All shading and lighting is handled in Clarisse. you can also do shading through Substance. There's a lot of customizing that can be done with Python scripts. A lot of users write and share their scripts for their workflows. 

I've only scratched the surface so haven't become very knowledgeable of it yet but that is some of what I think is workflow