Very Basic Question - Make it editable

Go to solution Solved by Cerbera,

Hello everyone,

I am extremely new to Cinema 4D. Please also forgive my English, I am French.

Here is my problem.

I want to convert my surface subdivision to a polygon object. I put my cube as a child of my subdivision, then click on C, but 3 times out of 4, it doesn't work and I convert it to a null object ... And without understanding why sometimes it works! Could not solve this problem, and yet I desperately search!

Thank you for your help.

Léa

Edited by Cerbera
Moved to correct section (see edit history)

Welcome to the Core 🙂

You do indeed make things editable by selecting them in the Object Manager and pressing C, or the make editable button in the interface.

However, when something this simple fails you need to make video of it failing for you for us to be able to know what is going wrong here.

Without that we can't know what you may be doing wrong to cause this...

CBR

Not saying this can be helpful in this case, but it is also important to know where the mouse cursor is hovering over when you press a key.

It took me years before figuring out that when selecting polygons and pressing the delete key that the whole object got removed from the scene, instead of the selected polygons.

Reason was that -inadvertently- my mouse cursor was hovering over the Object Manager when I pressed DEL, and this seems to indicate Cinema4D that your intention is to delete the currently selected object in the Object Manager. Keeping the mouse over the 3D viewport when pressing the DEL key does what was supposed to.

So, be aware where you're pointing at when doing things 😉

Firstly, thank you very much for your answers, I didn't expect to get such quick and kind feedback with such a basic question.

2 hours ago, Cerbera said:

Welcome to the Core 🙂

You do indeed make things editable by selecting them in the Object Manager and pressing C, or the make editable button in the interface.

However, when something this simple fails you need to make video of it failing for you for us to be able to know what is going wrong here.

Without that we can't know what you may be doing wrong to cause this...

CBR

It is noted thank you ! Here is my vidéo. In the first try, it's what I wanted, but in the second it doesn't works

1 hour ago, dast said:

Not saying this can be helpful in this case, but it is also important to know where the mouse cursor is hovering over when you press a key.

It took me years before figuring out that when selecting polygons and pressing the delete key that the whole object got removed from the scene, instead of the selected polygons.

Reason was that -inadvertently- my mouse cursor was hovering over the Object Manager when I pressed DEL, and this seems to indicate Cinema4D that your intention is to delete the currently selected object in the Object Manager. Keeping the mouse over the 3D viewport when pressing the DEL key does what was supposed to.

So, be aware where you're pointing at when doing things 😉

Thank you so much, I think it will helps me in the future for sure 😂. I'll try it on this problem right now.  

Well that is very odd. Seems like you are doing the same things both times, yet I am unable to replicate here in the same version. I seriously doubt this is a problem only with the trial version, but I am struggling to think what else this could be... 

What is inside the null that sometimes gets created ?

CBR

I feel like I saw the difference, but I still don't understand the problem.
The only difference is that for the second cube I move it. I just tried again and indeed, when I move the cube it doesn't work. But if I increase its size for example, no problem. I can't understand the logic of the trick ...

In the null there is my cube, that's all.

Yep, can reproduce this in R23 as well. If the SDS and child-object do not have the same coordinates it results into a null

Same in R21 and R20

Wait a minute ... this seems to be intentional, as it happens in R19 as well. So many versions, can't be unintentional.

I think they decided to put the cube into a null, since the origin of the SDS is different from the origin of the child object.

Which makes sense to keep the child object with its origin, and provide the origin of the SDS as a parenting null.

When you both move the child object and the parent SDS with the same amount, both origins are identical, and then no null is created.

Yeah I am sort of thinking that myself - after all it is no great hassle to delete (without children) the null, and I can see how it would be helpful...

But I also checked the help for Make Editable which makes no mention of it, so will perhaps suggest that as an improvement they could make to decrease new user (and old beta tester !) confusion !!

And HOW I had never noticed this before using it as much as I do was intriguing ! But on reflection, I CAN see why I haven't seen this before - whenever I add a parent SDS I do it using the alt modifier so that is is created exactly where the child is.

And  I guess that would be the advice to give Leadlrr if she would like to avoid this going forward ! 🙂

CBR

32 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Yeah I am sort of thinking that myself - after all it is no great hassle to delete (without children) the null, and I can see how it would be helpful...

But I also checked the help for Make Editable which makes no mention of it, so will perhaps suggest that as an improvement they could make to decrease new user (and old beta tester !) confusion !!

And HOW I had never noticed this before using it as much as I do was intriguing ! But on reflection, I CAN see why I haven't seen this before - whenever I add a parent SDS I do it using the alt modifier so that is is created exactly where the child is.

And  I guess that would be the advice to give Leadlrr if she would like to avoid this going forward ! 🙂

CBR

Yesss thank you for the advice I didn't know this shortcut 

You're welcome 🙂 Cinema is full of little weirdnesses and eccentricities, some of them very helpful, others less so, and some merely surprising, and all fine once you know about them ! Don't worry that Cinema looks massively intimidating initially - all DCCs this powerful do ! Learning this software could take a lifetime if you let it, so never feel guilty or inadequate for being apprehensive about that...

Just get in there, start using it, do simple little things initially, and allow the program to open up to you slowly over time. The manual, and YouTube are great, and we are always here to help with things that those guys can't answer !

The trick is to enjoy the learning journey, and there is lots of joy to be found if you just stick with it past the difficult first bumps in the road !

CBR