Cinema R25 Release

Guest Igor

1 hour ago, srek said:

Not using a feature is a clear indicator for either it being to hard to use, or not sufficient for the task. Either way it is good information to have.

Absolutely, as long as seldom use is not seen as a sign that working on such features is not worth the afford.

15 hours ago, RBarrett said:

Sometimes this isn't ideal - if you shut down and lose internet access (or hop on a plane). We do make it really easy to deactivate (remotely) via my.maxon.net

I like having the ability to release the license via the my.maxon web account. But it seems like in addition to this,  there could be a default switch under preferences that allowed the user to set which way C4d handles the license when the application is closed. And you could still provide the File menu options which would always override the default switch. I don't know, maybe that's too complex for your license handling. Just thought I would throw this out there. 

3 hours ago, Jops said:

Absolutely, as long as seldom use is not seen as a sign that working on such features is not worth the afford.

Analytics never exist in a void. We're always interpreting them in conjunction with what we hear and see from customers. 

But as Bjorn said they do give us a picture of how people are actually using the software, and we are indeed looking at them so if you enable them it helps us take into account how YOU use the software (though completely anonymously and in aggregate).

On a slightly related note, we use Cinema 4D at work, with multiple licences on one account. It would be great if we could enter a name for each computer ie 'Graeme Work' or 'Alex Laptop'.

As it is, we have to maintain a list of all the auto-generated numbers & who they're assigned to

I have to give you maxon guys credit for the communication on the last view pages. For me It is a big difference to Maxons normal way of communicating.

You might not able to see it or to maintain it in the future, but the first 35 pages resulted in you explaining instead of just using the standard phrases like " we are listening to you" without any further explanation.

You gave more insights then normally in a year. And you try to make yourself understood by sharing information and reasoning.

Keeping this up would be a good step to a better understanding and less frustration.

That doesn`t mean, that I think everything is clear now, as unlogic und unexplained decisions by maxon still persist (big example being: sub vs perpetual pricing and features).

But this is supposed to be a compliment for a good start not the beginning of a new or continued rant.

It might be a Déjà-vu, but I think I already wrote something like this some years ago 🙂

I have watched this conversation, on GreyscaleGorilla. If you don't want to see it all, at least watch the last 15 minutes.
They both give R25 a rather lukewarm welcome, to say the least. Especially Chad Ashley has some very valid comments abut the new version. I am sure, even if it is not said directly,  that he (and maybe Nick Campbell too) fears that the new features, when ready for production, will come too late, and too wrong. And that he (they) do not like the direction things are taking.
In any case - this video convinced me that I should skip at least one C4D version. It is sad.    

-Ingvar

greyscaleg-r25.jpg

On 9/23/2021 at 5:34 PM, FLima said:

OMGGG... did you make that in Zbrush? 
This is so beautiful! 
Everytime I try to do some hard surface object... I give up on 5% completion.

Thank you. Actually that one I did it in Blender. I have others in Zbrush (like the one attached), I used cinema for uvmapping and moving the UVs into position for the Udim workflow, exported the parts to Substance Painter and then I was gonna render it back in Cinema with Redshift but my Redshift license ran out, so I had to go to Cycles, but I dont know how to do multipass in cycles to postprocess in after effects, so I never finished the scene.

Blender isn't the enemy, you guys can use both Blender and Cinema, because Blender has a fantastic modeler and Cinema not so much, and on the other hand, Cinema is fantastic for motion graphics and Insydium simulations are very easy to setup and is a lot less of a headache than learning Houdini ( I also ran out of Insydium subscription, else my mecha would be firing). 

Anyway, I dont want to derail the thread talking about a personal project. The one below I did it in Zbrush / Cinema / Insydium / Redshift a couple of years ago, when Covid wasn't here, and yes, it has a lot of errors but... It was fun and also Cinema multipass was crucial and easy to setup for post processing the image, and the floor and rocks were done with mograph cloner in a couple of clicks, and for the little experience I have I can humbly say that Cinema strengths really excels when you are in a rush and have to work fast when life gets in the way, and that is why I love working with it, even if I really, really hate modeling in Cinema.

edit I forgot to add.. on image below, hair was Cinema, and materials were cinema because I haven't learned substance at that particular moment.

30425332_10156848911831554_1868663350977231707_o.jpg.06e611d22c8760a9ef93743c832daf4d.jpg

I’m a couple of days into R25, and I like it; there is a lot to like. I’d just like to be able to delete objects from my object manager when in polygons, points, or line mode. Also, the polygon pen feels off to me; I keep deleting existing polygons when trying to drag new ones. 

44 minutes ago, HiFly said:

I’d just like to be able to delete objects from my object manager when in polygons, points, or line mode.

That should work. Where is your mouse when you press delete ? If it's over the OM, then the object should get killed, regardless of mode, whereas if your cursor is in the VP then any selected components would get offed instead.

44 minutes ago, HiFly said:

Also, the polygon pen feels off to me; I keep deleting existing polygons when trying to drag new ones. 

I haven't noticed that so far, other than the continuation of a slightly different (but related) problem I constantly have (back to R18) where when I try and use PP to drag out an edge it doesn't register the ctrl key I pressed first so moves rather than extrudes...

CBR

1 hour ago, Cerbera said:

That should work. Where is your mouse when you press delete ? If it's over the OM, then the object should get killed, regardless of mode, whereas if your cursor is in the VP then any selected components would get offed instead.

I haven't noticed that so far, other than the continuation of a slightly different (but related) problem I constantly have (back to R18) where when I try and use PP to drag out an edge it doesn't register the ctrl key I pressed first so moves rather than extrudes...

CBR

I use a Wacom 100% of the time. After your comment, plugged a mouse in and the problems I mentioned didn't exist. I think R25 is glitchy with the Wacom.