Cinema R25 Release

Guest Igor

I had high hopes, and saved some cash on the side for this one. but nah, I will stick to my R21.
I would rather grab a 2year  Houdini indie license for a fraction of the cost. before Sidefx turns into another Maxon :(

1 minute ago, foxtuon said:

I would rather grab a 2year  Houdini indie license for a fraction of the cost. before Sidefx turns into another Maxon 😞

SideFX is private company and not shareholders company, which make a lot of difference. It also have Indie license for decade now I think and if I remember correctly. So I dont think this will happen any time soon or ever. 😉 

I am just watching RocketLassos video

The GUI stuff is nice and all, but after 6 minutes he already has to show how cool it is to change the layout and palettes... two times... which I was able to do exactly the same way with R7. Then there is some other stuff which is not exactly exciting (ok, this is extremely subjective and I guess there are people hwo might find them usefull), but there are two nice things:

- Presets: being a programmer myself, I don't think this is a big thing, but it seems extremely usefull. Nice!

- Track modifier seems pretty powerfull

- Capsules: this seems to make the nodes realy usefull and it seems there are new nodes as well (sphere packing). But what strikes me is the extreme similarity to how this is implemented in Blender (even the new spline nodes are more or less the same what was recently shown in Blender 3). But this is not a bad thing. The nodes are realy the only thing that makes me sad I am stuck with R21

So these things are nice, but given that the whole node stuff is still a demo, and each step on the raod to being a real feature is now called a feature on its own, this is still really thin. 

31 minutes ago, Cairyn said:

I have removed CollieSymmetryHelper from Gumroad, as this was a C++ plugin. Seems my programming plans have finally met an end.

Keep your plugin up. Just state what versions of C4D it is compatible with. It will still be useful to perpetual users who won’t go to R25.

49 minutes ago, contrafibbularities said:

Also, the 3D Motion presentation (I only watched some of )the beginning of it)  seemed  oddly unprofessional, like they couldn't even spare the money for decent mics... 

Yes, I really could not believe this. We are all media professionals. Appearances matter!! We work in an industries where appearances mean quite a lot. With the pandemic well into its second year, everyone has had ample time to acquire a decent webcam and make their backdrop somewhat presentable, even if not a perfect 10 on Room Rater.  Instead it all reminded me of zooming with the grandparents who aren't quite sure how everything works or where to look, or if the thing is even on. The whole thing was just shambolic. And personally, I don't get any joy or excitement of anticipation from 15 minutes of commercials. Do they think because many of us make commercials that we also like watching them? No one in their right mind likes commercials. Just get to it already and spend the extra time showing what's new or something. 

the new interface is more compact - you will work faster once you get used to it.
a lot of points have really been put in better places in the interface.
but you have to fix a lot of things that don't work and Maxon screwed up here.
I came from Blender 2 months ago. I felt that s24 was the tipping point and now it's time for C4D.
Now I see that Maxon is not changing. I've been familiar with them since version 9. Always the updates have been perplexing and frustrating. Maxon never listens to users.
However, you can't work in Blender with its horrible Cycles+Filmic, you can't get over using the horrible outliner.
Maxon will continue to reap the rewards of good decisions made long ago. But C4D isn't worth the money Maxon is asking for it when Blender is around. 
It's only a matter of time before geonodes grows into an addon that replicates most of the functionality of Mograf. And with the release of that addon, things could change. 

26 minutes ago, christianS said:

- Capsules: this seems to make the nodes realy usefull and it seems there are new nodes as well (sphere packing). But what strikes me is the extreme similarity to how this is implemented in Blender (even the new spline nodes are more or less the same what was recently shown in Blender 3). But this is not a bad thing. The nodes are realy the only thing that makes me sad I am stuck with R21

When Scene nodes were introduced last year the big feature was speed and ability to handle large numbers of objects. Remember that demo video with millions of swarming objects?  Remember also that 'Scene nodes are incompatible with the object manager' etc?

It seems to me that 'Capsules' are just a temporary mash up to stick the two things together. What's the likely result? The speed and capacity of the old Object Manager - not Neutron. Overall value: zero.

1 minute ago, Mike A said:

When Scene nodes were introduced last year the big feature was speed and ability to handle large numbers of objects. Remember that demo video with millions of swarming objects?  Remember also that 'Scene nodes are incompatible with the object manager' etc?

It seems to me that 'Capsules' are just a mash up to stick the two things together. What's the likely result? The speed and capacity of the old Object Manager - not Neutron. Overall value: zero.

Yes, Capsules allow nodes to work with the old object manager, but with none of the speed and improved handling ability as of yet. But nodes and capsules do give the user a great deal of flexibility and power to create that exists nowhere else in Cinema, so in that respect I think it is very valuable to have during the interim, and will allow users to learn and incorporate nodes into the their workflow even if they don't yet deliver on their full promise. 

1 hour ago, contrafibbularities said:

In any case, as things are now, I am not surprised that even people like Toby Pitman, the author of MILG11, which still is the best SDS training ever made, have recently made a complete switch to Blender, or went from publishing C4D tutorials on YouTube to releasing Blender videos instead, or are doing at least a mixture of both now. The writing seems to be all over the wall. 

To be fair, Hard Surface Modeling isn't Maxon strength. On the other hand, Pablo Dobarro taking a break of Blender is more impactful because he was a developer, and sculpting is a big deal in Blender.

Why do they keep talking about features? I mean, how can they pretend that a new UI is a new feature? And they dare showcasing capsules as if this tech was production ready. It’s half baked stuff and yet they call it « features ». To all the Maxon guys on this forum, please raise your voices and tell us what’s wrong. R25 has been  the weakest release since I started using the software from R11.5. Not even Adobe is at this level of hypocrisy. 

22 minutes ago, Mike A said:

It seems to me that 'Capsules' are just a temporary mash up to stick the two things together. What's the likely result? The speed and capacity of the old Object Manager - not Neutron. Overall value: zero.

Well, it may hit performance walls at some point yes, but for some uses it might still be usefull. And as I said I do not consider this a feature yet. It is still just something to play around, but since I always wanted C4D to move forward with resopect to procedural modelling, this is still the most interesting stuff that happened to C4D in a long time. I didn't say this justifies raising the version number by a full digit 😉

• Guest changed the title to Cinema R25 Release
  • Guest unfeatured this topic

Copyright Core 4D © 2023 Powered by Invision Community