Cinema R25 Release

Guest Igor

Capsules opens up a lot of opportunities, and in my overview video I talk a bit about the way they came about. It's actually the result of some of the excitement we saw from users when we introduced the Scene Manager in S24. The limited set of capsule assets we delivered there - like Greeble, Dual Mesh and the 7 Segment primitive - provided folks a glimpse of the flexibility and power of Scene Nodes and the asset system. There was lots of excitement about that, but it was tempered by the things that aren't yet possible in Scene Nodes and the Scene Manager - like MoGraph, Volumes and Dynamics. We recognized that it's still going to take time to get those things rolled into the Scene Nodes core, but there was an opportunity to combine things now. There's not a lot of capsules yet, but we plan to start building more, and we hope the opportunity for others to more easily tie in capsules with classic C4D features and workflows will encourage more interest. Scene Nodes definitely still needs more time to mature, but the capsules provide little pieces of plugin-like functionality without necessarily needing to get down and dirty with Scene Nodes.

Other than that I'll just say that it's been a very short time since S24 - our development cycles are not evenly balanced. I'll also say that we're well aware of many of the areas where artists want to see Maxon add not just functionality but our secret sauce for playful and procedural workflows. Those aren't being forgotten or ignored I assure you.

wow my face is big up there.

20 minutes ago, RBarrett said:

Other than that I'll just say that it's been a very short time since S24 - our development cycles are not evenly balanced. I'll also say that we're well aware of many of the areas where artists want to see Maxon add not just functionality but our secret sauce for playful and procedural workflows. Those aren't being forgotten or ignored I assure you.

wow my face is big up there.

Rick,

I understand and appreciate the difficult position a release like R25 puts you in as the front pitch man for C4D.  Thank you for providing your input to the Core4D crowd.  Something to consider though (as I have stated this earlier in the thread) you really should have held off releasing R25 until there was more to it.  if Maxon came forward and said "Hey, we got R24 released a little later than anticipated which leaves us less time for R25 to be all that we envisioned should we hold to our traditional September release date.  Therefore, to insure that we make each release meaningful, we are delaying the release of R25".  Honestly, I don't think anyone would be upset with that announcement...or at least less upset than they are now.

One other question:   Do you really have a glowing Maxon logo in your office...at least I hope that is your office.  If you have that at home...well....errr...I think a St. Pauli Girl beer sign would have been a better choice in your man cave.😆

Dave

Sorry...but I simply do not have enough faith to be an atheist.

2 hours ago, FLima said:

Also, it is so amazing to watch Blender's announcements. There is literally a conversation between the devs and the userbase, a horizontal comunication "Yes, this feature people have been asking, but we had to postpone to improve this other one.." and their enthusiasm... it is night and day compared to the darkness of a communication and constantly ignoring its userbase that Maxon does so well.

Grass is greener until you look closer and see the sculpting developer, amazingly talented Pablo Dobarro, just left because blenderites are toxic and lack of communication between developers.

6 minutes ago, 3D-Pangel said:

Rick,

I understand and appreciate the difficult position a release like R25 puts you in as the front pitch man for C4D.  Thank you for providing your input to the Core4D crowd.  Something to consider though (as I have stated this earlier in the thread) you really should have held off releasing R25 until there was more to it.  if Maxon came forward and said "Hey, we got R24 released a little later than anticipated which leaves us less time for R25 to be all that we envisioned should we hold to our traditional September release date.  Therefore, to insure that we make each release meaningful, we are delaying the release of R25".  Honestly, I don't think anyone would be upset with that announcement...or at least less upset than they are now.

One other question:   Do you really have a glowing Maxon logo in your office...at least I hope that is your office.  If you have that at home...well....errr...I think a St. Pauli Girl beer sign would have been a better choice in your man cave.😆

Thanks Dave.

Just so y'all know I'm not just the pitch man. The responsibility for this product is on me - not just the marketing but moreso the decisions in what we do. I'll tell you it's a lot harder than it looks from the outside. But I stand behind the release and the tremendous effort that went into it.

I understand the thoughts about timing. There's a lot of factors that go into the decision about when we ship our products, increasingly so as we work to tie together the various technologies in the Maxon family. And regardless of your feelings on the Everyday movement, I think it's shown that there's value in consistency. I mentioned how hard the decisions are in this job, but the frequency of releases actually helps. I knew I could get Illustrator/SVG import, Track Modifier, Capsules and more into your hands now without you waiting another 6 months. By the same token I know you won't have to wait a year for the next set of goodies. In fact, thanks to Capsules and the Asset System we're able to deliver quality content much more frequently - without even needing a product release. We've put out a steady stream of assets in May, June, July and August, and we'll be continuing to do so. Hopefully we'll be able to add some Capsules in the mix as well.

And to your last question - I guess both? I do normally work in Maxon's Thousand Oaks office, but I've been mostly at home in my garage since the start of the pandemic. So what you're seeing is my garage, which I guess could be called a man cave. I do have a TV, fridge and a bunch of LEDs out here though it lacks air conditioning.

20 minutes ago, 3D-Pangel said:

should have held off releasing R25 until there was more to it

If they had waited then everyone on R23 perpetual would not have any way to get access to the features of S24.  For an R23 perpetual user this update includes all the S24+R25 features.

3 hours ago, luchifer said:

Grass is greener until you look closer and see the sculpting developer, amazingly talented Pablo Dobarro, just left because blenderites are toxic and lack of communication between developers.

An individual worker or contractor is unhappy ~ergo~ Everyone and everything at company/foundation is toxic. 

says Lucifer

Who would doubt such a sensible narrative from such an unimpeachable source? LOL.

image.png.597a1dee45a03043eb9a177f12c5aa89.png

Another important detail in the interface - replacing drop-down lists with buttons. It saves a second when you know exactly which plane you should select. And when you don't know which option you want, it saves seconds. And if you count how many times a day you need to press these lists, it adds up a huge amount of time which may add up to a solid amount of time in a year. Which in terms of money ... Curious to make statistics - how much time/money can be saved by the new interface?

https://skr.sh/vA3Xpan9CwS

4 hours ago, luchifer said:

I was actually pretty saddened to hear that he has left. I often wonder how well they treat their developers there. Was be being funded at all by the blender foundation or was he doing it totally on his own just to get tools in that he himself wants to use. His Patreon was only $125 a month. I do not know how the blender foundation operates at all. But his leaving is a great loss for the community. 

4 hours ago, RBarrett said:

Thanks Dave.

Just so y'all know I'm not just the pitch man. The responsibility for this product is on me - not just the marketing but moreso the decisions in what we do. I'll tell you it's a lot harder than it looks from the outside. But I stand behind the release and the tremendous effort that went into it.

I understand the thoughts about timing. There's a lot of factors that go into the decision about when we ship our products, increasingly so as we work to tie together the various technologies in the Maxon family. And regardless of your feelings on the Everyday movement, I think it's shown that there's value in consistency. I mentioned how hard the decisions are in this job, but the frequency of releases actually helps. I knew I could get Illustrator/SVG import, Track Modifier, Capsules and more into your hands now without you waiting another 6 months. By the same token I know you won't have to wait a year for the next set of goodies. In fact, thanks to Capsules and the Asset System we're able to deliver quality content much more frequently - without even needing a product release. We've put out a steady stream of assets in May, June, July and August, and we'll be continuing to do so. Hopefully we'll be able to add some Capsules in the mix as well.

And to your last question - I guess both? I do normally work in Maxon's Thousand Oaks office, but I've been mostly at home in my garage since the start of the pandemic. So what you're seeing is my garage, which I guess could be called a man cave. I do have a TV, fridge and a bunch of LEDs out here though it lacks air conditioning.

The Asset Manager looked nice at first - but the fact it renames everything to conform to some internal structure means, it's essentially locking my stuff in. 

I couldn't get my stuff out the Asset manager in any reasonable way. And I learned the hard way never to trust my files any third party manager.

Now that you removed the content manager (which I used a lot and left my stuff intact), I just can't follow you guys beyond S24.

So for me R25 is just a complete no-show. 

Please, reconsider Asset Managers invasive lock-in 😞

• Guest changed the title to Cinema R25 Release
  • Guest unfeatured this topic