Cinema R25 Release

Guest Igor

8 minutes ago, FLima said:

You mean, the community (user base) or inside the Blender team? 

I guess no company is perfect for sure. I actually had requested a feature (well, a lot of people did) about light linking for instance.. and felt really guilty about even asking it in the first place, since.. I paid nothing for the software. And there was a great response, and acknowledgement..  So I am only juding for this experience really, and how I see Pablo (the other Pablo) doing these live chats with Blender announcements.

But again, the bar that Maxon has set when it comes to this, is so, so low, that any company that better interacts and listents to its userbase is miles better.

Dev response in Blender is truly great, no matter if they are developers from Blender Institute or plugin developers. In a nutshell what happened with Pablo was, he explained on his blog his roadmap for sculpting improvements, and the community wasn't willing to wait, and they can be very vocal, as everyone that has ever crossed a blenderite in a C4D / Maya / 3dsmax / Zbrush / Houdini forum can tell.

4 minutes ago, luchifer said:

Dev response in Blender is truly great, no matter if they are developers from Blender Institute or plugin developers. In a nutshell what happened with Pablo was, he explained on his blog his roadmap for sculpting improvements, and the community wasn't willing to wait, and they can be very vocal, as everyone that has ever crossed a blenderite in a C4D / Maya / 3dsmax / Zbrush / Houdini forum can tell.

I am sad to hear that 😞
People are the worst arent they? Pablo is an extremely talented individual, both technical and artistic (his Genshin impact fan art sculpts are... something  I know I could never do!) Maybe this will be something that the blender devs will need to administrate better in the future, roadmaps are awesome, but being a free software, maybe they could be a little bit more vague.. dunno...  

8 hours ago, Dez said:

image.png.597a1dee45a03043eb9a177f12c5aa89.png

Another important detail in the interface - replacing drop-down lists with buttons. It saves a second when you know exactly which plane you should select. And when you don't know which option you want, it saves seconds. And if you count how many times a day you need to press these lists, it adds up a huge amount of time which may add up to a solid amount of time in a year. Which in terms of money ... Curious to make statistics - how much time/money can be saved by the new interface?

https://skr.sh/vA3Xpan9CwS

This has been available in C4D for quite some time. They just changed the default functionality. Can be changed by right-clicking a field and choosing a User Interface option.

I'll just reiterate what some other folks have said... the UI was the last thing that needed attention in this update. They've got time to update the general UI, but leave the xpresso UI untouched...

I reached out about upgrading my perpetual R21 license to R25 perpetual. How can I justify paying $2100 for that? I've compiled a list of features I'd be getting:

• Slight UV improvements
  • Organized viewport filters (geo only mode)
  • Character pose library
  • Magic Bullet Looks
  • Content/Asset Browser updates
  • Object placement tool
  • UI update

I know I've left out some other tools like gltf exporting, delta mush, timeline filtering, deformer indicators, scene nodes (not production ready), python 3, tween tool, etc. But honestly, none of these are absolute game-changers that can justify paying $2100 for.

I guess gone are the days of big releases like R20 when we got fields, CAD import, volume builder, node-based materials, updated gradient, etc. Just packed full of useful workflow integrations.

2 minutes ago, mrittman said:

This has been available in C4D for quite some time. They just changed the default functionality. Can be changed by right-clicking a field and choosing a User Interface option.

I'll just reiterate what some other folks have said... the UI was the last thing that needed attention in this update. They've got time to update the general UI, but leave the xpresso UI untouched...

I reached out about upgrading my perpetual R21 license to R25 perpetual. How can I justify paying $2100 for that? I've compiled a list of features I'd be getting:

• Slight UV improvements
  • Organized viewport filters (geo only mode)
  • Character pose library
  • Magic Bullet Looks
  • Content/Asset Browser updates
  • Object placement tool
  • UI update

I know I've left out some other tools like gltf exporting, delta mush, timeline filtering, deformer indicators, scene nodes (not production ready), python 3, tween tool, etc. But honestly, none of these are absolute game-changers that can justify paying $2100 for.

I guess gone are the days of big releases like R20 when we got fields, CAD import, volume builder, node-based materials, updated gradient, etc. Just packed full of useful workflow integrations.

No way it is justified to pay all that amount for only this abysmal update... 

Every new release is the same thing. The same old players complaining about it. You could copy - paste their posts...

I wonder, with all due respect, when they are really going to move on and stop bitching. If You are not satisfied, move on! Choose a better software, another company that satisfies your artistic needs. Have some courage and take the step.

The price is really enormous.
Can someone explain to me why you can't make the price tag affordable? Personally for me the current price is 10-17 times too much. I'm a normal working man, making good money normally. But the price Maxon is charging makes me always think of Blender. Seriously, I'd pay $10 a month. No more than that. Like for Miro, Trello, etc.

I think that the impact of capsules is hugely underrated. I really think that it is a gamechanger. It doesn't have the speed of scene nodes yet, but It still is as much of a thing as xpresso was (which by the way also needed years to be recognized as groundbreaking). 

I would love to update my R21, but for the price stated above (nearly two thirds of a full version) .... hello? R21 is the last but one perpetual Version! 

11 minutes ago, Jops said:

I would love to update my R21, but for the price stated above (nearly two thirds of a full version) .... hello? R21 is the last but one perpetual Version! 

Two thirds? That doesn't sound right; that would be significantly more than the sum of both yearly updates. Or has the upgrade price for a Perpetual risen that much with R25?

10 minutes ago, Cairyn said:

Two thirds? That doesn't sound right; that would be significantly more than the sum of both yearly updates. Or has the upgrade price for a Perpetual risen that much with R25?

We already had two prices in this chat for a update from R21 to R25. So I called my reseller and here comes the third one: their upgrade price for R21 to R25 is round about 1650€ netto (without vat) for germany. BTW for any version up to R21 as far as I can see. 

Toolfarm.com prices - which are generally very good:

For UK:

R23 to R25 Perpetual upgrade:  £799+VAT ( £958.80 inclusive of UK VAT)

Earlier versions to R25 Perpetual upgrade: £1,699+VAT ( £2,038.90 inclusive of UK VAT) =  62% of the cost of a new licence.

I've no doubt that Dave McG will pop in sometime in 2022 to tell us that perpetuals are no longer popular.

• Guest changed the title to Cinema R25 Release
  • Guest unfeatured this topic