Cinema R25 Release

Guest Igor

12 hours ago, Cairyn said:

That's interesting, I thought R23 was the last great addition of animation stuff?

What would you say are the functions you'd consider indispensable in terms of animation in S24/R25? So far, I see:

R25 Track Modifier tag

R25 Range Marker for Key Selections function

S24 Tween Tool

S24 Animation Tracks as loops

S24 New tangent interpolation

S24 additions to retargeting character solver

S24 Timeline filters

that’s pretty much it, plus s24 got curve - track highlighting, so when you are working on a curve the corresponding track gets highlighted and vice versa. in 25 they also added this for the dope  sheet editor. and 24 got geo only playback, i used a script before for that, but having it built in is much more convenient... also both versions got improvements for the toon rig, in 24 a more flexible spine among other things (i have a video about it on my vimeo page), and in 25  optional basic limbs, without the bendy and scaling functionality for better performance if you are not in need of those features.  

edit: oh, and spline selection in the vp got improved a bit in r25... still not perfect, but a little bit better than before.

On the topic of F-Curves and the Timeline Graph Editor, one thing that is greatly missing that Maya has, is a way to normalize the graph of different parameters so you can work on them effectively at the same time. For instance if you have a curve who's values are between 0-1 and another curve who's values are between 0-100. In Maya you can see a normalized view of them in the same graph, whereas in C4D you get a shallow line next to your larger curve. I've been experiencing more and more cases where this makes C4D's graph editor feel completely useless. These are the kinds of improvements they really need to work on.

To be honest, I wasn't expecting much from R25, I don't follow releases in general, I tend to pay attention when I hear about an new feature that sounds useful; like when fields came out, or when they finally revamped the UV Editor. It's been my impression this past year they've been working on pushing their VFX products, developing their Maxon One subscription model, and integrating Redshift into the fold. I don't fault them for that, it's not like there isn't plenty to use with the software as it is. I'm sure there will be better updates in the future.

6 hours ago, DaveW said:

Then stay on R17 and nobody here is angry. You’re argument makes no sense. This user was responding to the comment that there hasn’t been any huge updates since R17. Which is ridiculous. 

Just because you don’t use fields doesn’t mean it wasn’t a good update… and the most recent updates will of course be smaller as the release cycle is now sped up. 

Release Cycle is speed up but perpetual upgrading price stays the same or rises 😁

38 minutes ago, JThreeD said:

On the topic of F-Curves and the Timeline Graph Editor, one thing that is greatly missing that Maya has, is a way to normalize the graph of different parameters so you can work on them effectively at the same time. For instance if you have a curve who's values are between 0-1 and another curve who's values are between 0-100. In Maya you can see a normalized view of them in the same graph, whereas in C4D you get a shallow line next to your larger curve.

There is an option to shift and scale f-curves of individual tracks visually to do what you want, but it's manual, no automatic normalisation.

Capture.JPG

20 minutes ago, Xeotroid said:

There is an option to shift and scale f-curves of individual tracks visually to do what you want, but it's manual, no automatic normalisation.

Capture.JPG

Ok, well that's marginally better, but manually adjusting the curve scale as you jump from one parameter to the next in a complicated project becomes tedious pretty quick. Thanks for pointing it out.

You know what, I dug around a little more and there's actually an 'Auto Relative' function I never noticed before. It's a little convoluted to use, but at least it works:

2021-09-18_20-48-14_Cinema_4D-1.jpg.e166d9e7a1d14c7775deee00b4d3f65a.jpg

1. Select the parameters

2. Select a keyframe of the curve you want to normalize

3. Go to F-Curve > Auto Relative

4. Click 'Frame All' (H)

2021-09-18_20-50-36_Cinema_4D-1.jpg.e84f13661a279664b6ce881bb5327783.jpg

It would be nice if it were just a single button you could press like in Maya, but there you go!

• Guest changed the title to Cinema R25 Release

Copyright Core 4D © 2023 Powered by Invision Community