Cinema R25 Release

Guest Igor

5 minutes ago, BoganTW said:

Cutman sank into a thread of profanity at one point where I read his stuff and thread, jeez, I think that guy really is going through something, this explains a lot.

Whereas the only thing I am going through is the conundrum, where shall my money go this week, money for new Mac, or more chocolate and a good sit down in the local cafe with a latte while I scroll through Facebook and awkwardly flirt with the cute waitress?

You lost me at scrolling through Facebook. Eww

@BoganTW

yeah cutman.. such a nutjob... I remember trying to help him, asking for his specs because he went on every topic posting about how Arnold programmers wanted to burn down his computer. I just ask him for his specs so I can pinpoint what happened and the only responses was "Its a laptop, it has a keyboard integrated, It also has a mouse"

Back in the old days I was actively trying to help people, because they also helped me. I posted under my real name Luis Riera, because when I created my account I didnt knew people prefered to use nicknames, so eventually when I went here, I did it as Luchifer. 

I can see why you are a little cautious about Core4D following cgtalk footsteps (I believe trolls drove away Shrek and Leigh Van Der Byl), but worry not, Core people are fine people, some are little overexcited over Blender, buts thats understandable, its a great software, and healthy competition is good for us all in this business.

I fired it up just now.

First impressions are not bad at all! I do wonder about that toolbar that is positioned on the right in the middle of the viewport and outliner. Not a fan of that, so I moved it back to its "proper place".

Otherwise, I noticed the similarity to Blender, as others here did. I adjusted the ridiculous size of C4D's manipulators, and presto - side by side on my dual screen:

BROS.jpg.9e74505677ee7b1f9f41c7e0b5c88b85.jpg

BROS FOR LIFE! Sister apps? Spot the differences! Honestly, after a minute or so my brain actually had trouble identifying which is which. So funny!

LOL.jpg.0151f7fe92e17742c12388895aad7938.jpg

Seriously though, I don't mind the GUI change. It's a tad too dark, though, here and there. And I do agree that a number of icons are too similar compared to 24. I mistook the cube icon at the very top in the center of the screen for the cube tool, only to discover that is where the work modes are moved to. 🙂 Kinetic memory at work, I guess.

The default viewport lighting during modeling works (much) better in 25 - nice improvement. I do like that: way more contrast.

I do, however, question whether there was an immediate need to redesign C4D's GUI. Change for the sake of change? Not sure. Since I am not paying for this update myself (my employer does), I have little otherwise to say about it, but I can empathize with those here who feel this release falls a bit flat on its face in terms of value for money.

It looks pretty good. But then, I am biased towards B 😉

9 minutes ago, Chris Phillips said:

I wonder if HB_Modelling Bundle will get an update for R25. Cannot live without that.

I think it probably will, even if it's just an icon overhaul, but will check with Holger if I get a chance. As it is his existing scripts should work with R25, though of course old icons will persist.

CBR

9 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

I think it probably will, even if it's just an icon overhaul, but will check with Holger if I get a chance. As it is his existing scripts should work with R25, though of course old icons will persist.

CBR

I don't think it really needs an icon overhaul. It'll be different to C4D's new visual language but I don't think that matters, as long as the scripts run properly.

I agree - and indeed the icons I have in my regular layout look quite good on the right over there.

image.png.0404cbb1b04b2c8a508f8eba6b71d890.png

For your reference, when you first drag them into the layout a small bug means all the icons in the panel you drag to will go to maximum size, which you'll need to reset by right clicking the palette and choosing 'medium' size...

CBR

On 9/20/2021 at 11:06 AM, DMcGavran said:

Maxon is here and listening and talking to customers.   But the result is generally not a conversation.   It was said that we stopped selling perpetual.  I pointed out that is false.  You respond that that means absolutely nothing. 

This does generally make it hard for us to have a good conversation 🙂  

It is also relatively less conducive to a good conversation when you minimize the amazing and hard work of the team at Maxon.   Here is just the list of things done in the last 3 months and in only 1 of the many products we make.  Imagine if we added that for each product we updated in September.  I know it is really hard to wish of the internet in modern times but wouldn't it be nice if we went back to discussing? 

Cheers

Dave

hi Dave,

I am a hobbyist and was a long term C4D user with Prime. I dutifully paid my MSA because  the cost of skipping a version was higher than Prime MSA. then you did away with Prime and latter went to subscription. Doing away with Prime felt like a stab in the back, then a series of lackluster releases was deflating but subscription model pushed me over the edge and away from C4D. I am using Houdini Indie, pay $400 for two years, yeah you could call it subscription and it is BUT if I don't renew Houdini DOES NOT STOP WORKING, it reverts to Apprentice with is fully functional with a few limitations.  

I am sure there are things looking in your crystal ball you can't discuss and wish you and Cinema/Maxon well. I like to see how things are going in my old stomping grounds.

On 9/21/2021 at 2:55 PM, johanal said:

Seriously dude.. you've been harping on this one subject throughout this whole thread.  Rewording and retooling your argument isn't going to change the outcome.  Nothing is going to change.   In order for subscriptions to work, they need to cut out perpetual licenses, or make it so expensive or unbearable that people change, or they quit the software.   Subscriptions are staying.  More companies will go the subscription route, including other companies like Foundry and SideFX down the road.  It's just inevitable.      The bottom line is, if the subscription doesn't suit you, or you don't believe you're getting any benefit from it because the releases don't justify the cost, switch to something else.  If you've switched to something else, then there's no need to keep hammering on Maxon about their subscriptions because you've clearly already made up your mind.

This thread will hopefully evolve into one more meaningful regarding what CAN be added in future releases that were missing in this one versus the constant back and forth trying to drive around passive aggressive comments and overall hurt feelings.   The release is out.. it's done.  Let's focus on the future.

technically Houdini already is subscription, like my Indie license is $299 yr or $400 for two. one key difference is if I stop paying Indie reverts to Apprentice it does not become vaporware. another key difference is if I go a year or two with Apprentice and then switch back to Indie I don't have to sell the house or car to get to current version.  this may change then it might not

1 hour ago, Cerbera said:

I agree - and indeed the icons I have in my regular layout look quite good on the right over there.

For your reference, when you first drag them into the layout a small bug means all the icons in the panel you drag to will go to maximum size, which you'll need to reset by right clicking the palette and choosing 'medium' size...

CBR

Cool, thanks. Do the scripts still run ok?

Copyright Core 4D © 2023 Powered by Invision Community