Cinema R25 Release

Guest Igor

4 hours ago, MarcoVN said:

1) The top toolbar distracts the fast access of the menues. While it's great to copy things between projects via tabs, it is a thick bar on the top and all the menues are below it which makes ist harder to access (probably not on Mac - I'm on a PC). So, I would like a preference setting to switch the top toolbar on and off.

This has to be the worst design decision ever. While nice in some cases, it contradicts normal application GUI design (at least on Windows), and occupies space, unnecessary. You can always switch between projects via shortcut keys. (Assign a key to Next project). So there definitely is a need to turn this off. I don't have R25, and it is unlikely that I will purchase yet another C4D. I will stick to my ten C4D versions.
But if I had, I am sure it would annoy the hell out of me.

-Ingvar

12 minutes ago, luchifer said:

haha, yeah Im not sure why MazurBR mentioned Zbrush on the interface discussions, when It would be easier to talk about 2.79 to 2.80 Blender changes.  

Truth be told, I really think most people complaining about UI changes are people who make a living selling tutorials. I really wouldn't touch an old tutorial to teach newcomers because you cant really ask people to watch obsolete workflows just because the UI remains the same.

What do we got during these two years I lost because of covid? UDIM I think? I did this cool looking robot using UDIMs, a workflow I learned during quarantine.

187472554_10160088341596554_5741849670983195003_n.jpg

OMGGG... did you make that in Zbrush? 
This is so beautiful! 
Everytime I try to do some hard surface object... I give up on 5% completion.

10 hours ago, Cairyn said:

I'm not the Kwisatz Haderach, I don't know what will be. But I can't see Maxon getting into the paid training business at the moment, and Cineversity is one of the Subscription benefits, so at least for the near future, I don't really see that changing. As for the far future: changing the UI now for a possible paysite that may or may not be would be a bit too speculative.

I see issues with Cineversity tutorials less because of changed icons or toolbars... but more because of really changed functionality; either modified or overridden or even removed. That makes some older Cineversity tutorials obsolete. (I don't know if Maxon has a strategy to remove or redo those obsolete tuts.) Remember that we already had a major icon overhaul, from the colorful Amiga-look ones to the later color-coded flat ones, and that did not really make every tut in existence useless. (But I admit that changes in the GUI do make following tuts difficult.)

Actually I'd prefer to criticise Maxon for what they do / have done, not for hypothetical stuff in the future. There is enough of that stuff to fill the thread.

you might not be Kwisatz Haderach but one needs to be a mentat to figure out whats going on

8 hours ago, RBarrett said:

This should work exactly like that - it does here. Shift changes x10 and Alt x0.1

yes, you are right.  I didn't noticed it, because you have first to decide what you want, then pressing shift or alt and then click and drag.  It sould work on the fly like in After Effects: First click and drag and change the sensitivity while holding or releasing Alt and Shift.

8 hours ago, RBarrett said:

. BTW if you don't know the preview for RS Node Materials is a little better than the Xpresso-based materials.

I know, thanks, but the Nodeeditor still has some way to go for redshift....

Thanks for hearing me and your answers!

9 hours ago, RBarrett said:

Sometimes this isn't ideal - if you shut down and lose internet access (or hop on a plane). We do make it really easy to deactivate (remotely) via my.maxon.net

Maybe sometimes (I don't hop that often on a plane, but more often to another workstation). But for most of the time it would be better to just release the license. And as MarcoVN said: Make it an option! Please, +1000 ... And I agree, it's easy to reallocate licenses. But I have to re-enter my account details very often (it seems whenever every license is blocked). It's one click vs. re-entering and clicking about.

Next time you hop on a plane and accidentially loose your license, please, give me a call, when in risk of butching a job because of this. Day and night. As I'm pretty sure this will never happen 😉

Btw, don't give too much an analytics. I always switch them of. No, wait. I will turn them on now, immediately. I never thought someone is using analytics seriously.

42 minutes ago, Babumbol said:

Maybe sometimes (I don't hop that often on a plane, but more often to another workstation). But for most of the time it would be better to just release the license. And as MarcoVN said: Make it an option! Please, +1000 ... And I agree, it's easy to reallocate licenses. But I have to re-enter my account details very often (it seems whenever every license is blocked). It's one click vs. re-entering and clicking about.

Next time you hop on a plane and accidentially loose your license, please, give me a call, when in risk of butching a job because of this. Day and night. As I'm pretty sure this will never happen 😉

Btw, don't give too much an analytics. I always switch them of. No, wait. I will turn them on now, immediately. I never thought someone is using analytics seriously.

100% this. I switch machines all the time - It's a right bother. Nobody does 3D work on a plane, or bus or train I'd guess. Even better - just let the licence run on two machines at the same time just like my Adobe licence lets me run PS in two locations!

1 hour ago, Babumbol said:

If i remember correctly Rick refers to something that really happened when a customer jumped on a plane for an important project presentation. It worked out somehow, but it nearly cost dearly. I talked about how single user feedback can change things, that was one of them.

And yes, we are actually using analytics as much as we can, they are the most unbiased source of actual user interaction with our software. This is not a gimmik but an important  tool for PM and UX. Switching them on helps us to hear you.

Is there some sort of UI scale preferene I am missing? I'm using it on a 1920x1080 15in laptop monitor and I'm finding it pretty straining on the eyes whereas I haven't had that issue with the previous UI (or Blenders, which I'm just throwing in there because people keep comparing it to Blender's UI).

1 hour ago, srek said:

If i remember correctly Rick refers to something that really happened when a customer jumped on a plane for an important project presentation. It worked out somehow, but it nearly cost dearly. I talked about how single user feedback can change things, that was one of them.

And yes, we are actually using analytics as much as we can, they are the most unbiased source of actual user interaction with our software. This is not a gimmik but an important  tool for PM and UX. Switching them on helps us to hear you.

Maybe c4d could just fetch the license if it is not used on another computer? If I understand correctly that would solve the problems? 

I can imagine, that these analytics are very interesting. But it also explains some things for me if you use them as a information what gets used and what not. If you try to determent which features are obsolete, or are not worth improving, because they don't get used. Don't forget, that people just might not use them because they are old and not state of the art anymore. for example pyrocluster. I bet people would love to render nice looking fast fog or clouds, but pyrocluster is appoximately 15 years old and because people don't use a outdated part of c4d doesn't mean that there wouldn't be a demand for a state of the art version. other examples might be thinking particles, teamrender, cloth or sketch and toon. As you know there are quite some parts of the software, that have aged (or are not that good implemented as we are used to from maxon as teamrender) I am quite shure, that Analytics is not the only reason why they don't get love, but just because they don't get used, doesn't mean there wouldn't be a demand.

48 minutes ago, Jops said:

Maybe c4d could just fetch the license if it is not used on another computer? If I understand correctly that would solve the problems? 

I can imagine, that these analytics are very interesting. But it also explains some things for me if you use them as a information what gets used and what not. If you try to determent which features are obsolete, or are not worth improving, because they don't get used. Don't forget, that people just might not use them because they are old and not state of the art anymore. for example pyrocluster. I bet people would love to render nice looking fast fog or clouds, but pyrocluster is appoximately 15 years old and because people don't use a outdated part of c4d doesn't mean that there wouldn't be a demand for a state of the art version. other examples might be thinking particles, teamrender, cloth or sketch and toon. As you know there are quite some parts of the software, that have aged (or are not that good implemented as we are used to from maxon as teamrender) I am quite shure, that Analytics is not the only reason why they don't get love, but just because they don't get used, doesn't mean there wouldn't be a demand.

Not using a feature is a clear indicator for either it being to hard to use, or not sufficient for the task. Either way it is good information to have.

17 minutes ago, srek said:

Not using a feature is a clear indicator for either it being to hard to use, or not sufficient for the task. Either way it is good information to have.

Third: Some people just don't know their way around the software. So analytics give a maybe unbiased look. But I guess, one very hard to decipher.