Modelling Ribbed Glass ?

Go to solution Solved by Cerbera,

I'm looking for the best way to go about making this decorative area of a bottle model. Should I make a shape from a spline or a capsule and deform it...then clone it radially? What would be your method of achieving this? Thank you.

bottle_deformation.jpg

• Solution

Single rib is certainly one way to go, but I think I'd go for doing it all in one hit on a single cylinder based model. Small selection hit in having to grab every other vertical loop in order to do the extrudes (for that's all they are, and Preserve groups off doesn't help across multiple vertical loops !), but that really didn't take me long...

image.png.e31c023b3dca458e00b93ce887059a2b.png

Once I had done all the extrudes I thought a bit of Normal Scaling / Ironing was needed to soften it all up a little...

33283530_bottledecorationribs.thumb.gif.6966fff9befea9f5a44b34573f95067b.gif

And then we let SDS do the remainder of the work for us, which of course would make this not a hard surface model at all !!

So many ways to skin a fish, but the take home message here is that there is no need to get the splines out !  Even if I needed a lot more definition in the ribs than that I'd still do it with polys and on a single mesh so I saved myself all the faffing about with radial alignment and Connects, which very much interfere with our SDS on / off shortcuts (Q) while modelling ! 😉

CBR

• Cerbera changed the title to Modelling Ribbed Glass ?
1 hour ago, Cerbera said:

Single rib is certainly one way to go, but I think I'd go for doing it all in one hit on a single cylinder based model. Small selection hit in having to grab every other vertical loop in order to do the extrudes (for that's all they are, and Preserve groups off doesn't help across multiple vertical loops !), but that really didn't take me long...

image.png.e31c023b3dca458e00b93ce887059a2b.png

Once I had done all the extrudes I thought a bit of Normal Scaling / Ironing was needed to soften it all up a little...

33283530_bottledecorationribs.thumb.gif.6966fff9befea9f5a44b34573f95067b.gif

And then we let SDS do the remainder of the work for us, which of course would make this not a hard surface model at all !!

So many ways to skin a fish, but the take home message here is that there is no need to get the splines out !  Even if I needed a lot more definition in the ribs than that I'd still do it with polys and on a single mesh so I saved myself all the faffing about with radial alignment and Connects, which very much interfere with our SDS on / off shortcuts (Q) while modelling ! 😉

CBR

Now delete all but one of those low poly ribs, clone it radially, place the cloner under a connect object, and place the connect object under an SDS object. No alignment or figgiting necessary, and from then on you can adjust just a single rib and the adjustment will automatically propogate to the rest of the model. 

...yep, and then spend the rest of your modelling session with your vital Q control turning off the connect or the cloner rather than the SDS ! Also, should any modelling have to take place at the base of the rib then what follows is a painful and tedious making sure that we always maintain that radial alignment and equally on both sides of the rib so that you maintain geometric perfection around the model, and things don't start going squiffy !

But those small things aside I did also preface my entire post with the acknowledgement that your single rib suggestion would also be fine ! Certainly wasn't a criticism, or claim that my way was particularly better, or faster ! It's just another way ! 🙂

CBR