Perfect sphere from cube with «Spherify» modifier?

Go to solution Solved by Cerbera,

Hi, I'm currently learning how to model in Cinema 4D and everything seems to work, but sometimes you get stuck on things that in other software can be solved with a couple of clicks.

For example the creation of a sphere from a cube in Blender is pretty simple: first you create a cube, then apply the Sub-D modifier to it, but since the resulting sphere is still similar to the cube you need to apply the Cast modifier and the mesh takes the form of a perfect sphere.

Today I tried to repeat it in Cinema 4D: I created a cube, applied Sub-D, logically decided to add Spherize modifier, but the modifier turns out to be larger than its parent, and when reducing the size of the modifier, the object itself decreases as well.

How to use Spherize correctly I still don't understand, can someone please explain how to make it work?

изображение_2021-09-19_010217.png

Welcome to the Core 🙂

Pls complete your profile so we know which version you are working with. This question doesn't rely on us knowing that but others will !

There's not much to that deformer. You set it to 100% for full spherification, and then use the other control to specify the radius of the resultant sphere !

You may be confused because a cube is measured across its 'diameter', whereas spheres and indeed the spherify deformer specify a radius, which will obviously be correctly set at half the intended diameter. That is most easily demonstrable and clear if you spherify a hexasphere (no SDS) directly. If your sphere is 200 cm then your spherify would be set to 100 radius to achieve equal sizing.

CBR

A question: why are you trying to make a sphere from a cube : )

If it's to simply start modelling with that topology:

Create a standard C4D sphere and, with the sphere selected,  in the attributes manager select Type: Hexahedron.

Hit C to make it editable.

9 hours ago, Mike A said:

A question: why are you trying to make a sphere from a cube : )

If it's to simply start modelling with that topology:

Create a standard C4D sphere and, with the sphere selected,  in the attributes manager select Type: Hexahedron.

Hit C to make it editable.

I know that the standard sphere has several different states, that's not the question. The question is how to give the hexahedron the proportions of a real perfect sphere.

In the picture I showed the difference between a sphere and a hexahedron.

изображение_2021-09-19_115616.png

изображение_2021-09-19_115527.png

The difference is marked in red for the hexahedron and in blue for the sphere.
The hexahedron has more flattened poles and angles similar to a square because of the topology. 

I apologize for not explaining in detail at once, I always have problems with it 🙂

In general, my question sounds like this: how to keep the topology of the hexahedron, but smooth out the hexahedron sphere to perfection.

3.png

10 hours ago, Cerbera said:

Welcome to the Core 🙂

Pls complete your profile so we know which version you are working with. This question doesn't rely on us knowing that but others will !

There's not much to that deformer. You set it to 100% for full spherification, and then use the other control to specify the radius of the resultant sphere !

You may be confused because a cube is measured across its 'diameter', whereas spheres and indeed the spherify deformer specify a radius, which will obviously be correctly set at half the intended diameter. That is most easily demonstrable and clear if you spherify a hexasphere (no SDS) directly. If your sphere is 200 cm then your spherify would be set to 100 radius to achieve equal sizing.

CBR

Thank you for your answer and please read my latest messges in this post) Nice to see the community gives you advice, it is very very good!

No need to explain Igor ! Most of us know the difference between the various sphere types ! And no need to apologise - your original question was as clear as it needed to be ! Likewise no disrespect to Mike, who was presumably just checking you knew the other types were available ! 

CBR

OK - no problem, Sorry if I misunderstood. We get a range of users here from 'how do I create a cube' through to 30 year veterans - and it's not always easy to know where people are at : )

How about the 'Shrinkwrap' deformer?

Generate a conventionally tessellated sphere - high tesselation for accuracy.

Create a slightly smaller Hexa-sphere inside it and use the shrinkwrap deformer on that to target the sphere.

Does that fix it for you?

41 minutes ago, Mike A said:

OK - no problem, Sorry if I misunderstood. We get a rang of users here from 'how do I create a cube' through to 30 year veterns, it's not always easy to know where people are at : )

How about the 'Shrinkwrap' deformer.

Generate a conventionally tessellated sphere - high tesselation for accuracy.

Create a slightly smaller Hexa-sphere inside it and use the shrinkwrap deformer on that to target the sphere.

Does that fix it for you?

Hi, thx for answer! Yeah many people dont know about magic power of google i guess) I tried method that you described, but unfortunately this only affects size of sphere, i attached picture with result.

Also i attached screenshot from blender, which i found in one of topics on stackexchange. They use Coat modifierto achieve what im looking for in Cinema.

The last screenshot shows the result of applying Shrink Wrap with a high-polygonal sphere as a target object. It shows the deformation at the poles of the sphere, i marked it with circles. And yeah, this is really the closest to what we need)

4.png

изображение_2021-09-19_132829.png

5.png

35 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Ok, so just to clarify / sum up, to replicate the Blender workflow, we do this..

image.png.54d454ebcf8b379a26accfee1da303a7.png

...which gives us this... a perfect sphere with no complex poles.

image.png.7ba5ec01ae89bfbd05aa7b9bd17d2215.png

So Igor, do you agree that gives you everything you need there ?! 🙂

CBR

Sorry, i dont understood your first message in right way... Instead of creating a group and placing Spherify above the cube, I put the modifier inside the object. My bad and sorry. What tag did you use on cube? Couldn't find it in tags menu.

изображение_2021-09-19_144723.png

Ah yes, sorry I did mine in R25, which is why it looks a bit different 🙂 Worry not - the tag on my cube is just what your phong tag looks like now !

And yes, we need to place the spherify in a group with the SDS because if you make it a child of the cube it can only deform to sphere shape as much as the segmentation of the cube will let it, which (assuming its 1x1x1) is not at all !!! 🙂 So by putting it all in a group, we can deform the SDS RESULT rather than the cube, which is why it works ! Make sense ?

CBR

Copyright Core 4D © 2023 Powered by Invision Community