quadsdamage Sketchbook Vol 01 - Beginner Journey

quadsdamage

So, it's been a while that i'm browsing the core. After some time, I think it's time to share some pixels, right?
Not great pixels yet, because I'm still learning. But, I'll try to add some humor and notes of each mindset I was at the time of creating that piece and what I've learned since then. 

So, here we go:

Rubik's Cube
rqKNpMR.png

Mindset on doing it: 
It was pretty clear that I wanted to do a rubik's just because of the MoGraph/Cloner on C4D. At that time, I was extravagant on the bevel levels. 
What I've learned:

Just about anything/model can it start with a simple cube. 

Greek Pillar
fkcImCu.png

Mindset on doing it: 
This was my introduction with creating something without checking tutorials. And my introduction to volume modeling (Which I didn't used much after. More on that story later)
What I've learned:

Volume modeling pretty rocks when it's used for snow, paint brushes, liquid and those tiny details. 

The Biiiird

VCul7h7.png

Mindset on doing it: 
This low poly start actually was because of Blender tutorials. Tried to follow the workflow of how each part could be united just because of the symmetry. 
What I've learned:

Reference image on the background can do wonders

The Well

PNpfKqG.png

Mindset on doing it: 
This one is pretty famous among the Blender folks. The Classic Grant Abbitt Well. It was so fun doing it and really opened the doors for trying more stuff like that on the future. 
What I've learned:
- Placing each pieces in different nulls was amazing to organize  

- Not everything needs to be realistic and low poly can be pretty as well  

Hitchcock Movie Titles

ysoM9Wm.png

Mindset on doing it: 
I was completely lost on the terms/functions/settings that involved GI as a whole. But my eyes started to shine just like this picture, when I was trying it out each render.  
What I've learned:
- Pure black is a NO NO on materials. 

- GI is the Photoshop of Models  for some scenes. It really gives a great look. 

Rim Wheel
Kt0kZT6.png

Mindset on doing it: 
Why this tutorial is just keeping one tiny piece of the whole object? OHHHH, Radial symmetry. I get it, I get it!  
What I've learned:
- Modeling is hard

- But modeling is awesome. Sooo awesome. 

I'll post more when I have the time. Thanks and have a great day/night! 

Well, I would say well done for your first adventures. I really like the well and a bird...working with low poly is not easy, its usually harder to get it right as you have a limited amount of polys you can use, especially if done for game einiges. All in all, well done. Only things that's missing are some wireframes of those same models, here at Core we tend to like those too...:cowboypistol:

On top of that, I love how you described your insights on the specific tasks... 🙂 Great example for others, including myself!!

Great start and so cool to hear about your Intentions along the way. Keep going, just keep making as much stuff as you can. The process of making things is how you learn, even if the end product is not great (this happens to all of us). Try some material and lighting studies too - there are millions of free models online you can use for practice if you want to work with more complex geometry for this. Keep going! 

evanalexander.com     Abusing chromatic aberration heavily since 2011....

23 hours ago, Igor said:

Well, I would say well done for your first adventures. I really like the well and a bird...working with low poly is not easy, its usually harder to get it right as you have a limited amount of polys you can use, especially if done for game einiges. All in all, well done. Only things that's missing are some wireframes of those same models, here at Core we tend to like those too...:cowboypistol:

On top of that, I love how you described your insights on the specific tasks... 🙂 Great example for others, including myself!!

Thanks Igor! Well and Bird really is a good mix, isn't? 
Yeah, I'm learning that low poly / high poly could be the same if you really wants to put nice details all around. 
I'm glad you like the insights. They are fun, because of the recollecting of the mindset at the time. Thanks again! 

23 hours ago, EAlexander said:

Great start and so cool to hear about your Intentions along the way. Keep going, just keep making as much stuff as you can. The process of making things is how you learn, even if the end product is not great (this happens to all of us). Try some material and lighting studies too - there are millions of free models online you can use for practice if you want to work with more complex geometry for this. Keep going! 

"Keep making as much stuff as you can" is one the things I've learned after some good weeks. Because there are so much to know and thinker around, you need to forget about settings/tutorials and create some stuff yourself to really get to learn.

Lightning and material is two big topics on my watch. I know I really need to deep dive on those. That saying lightning make or break the render is so true.
Problem is having a mac as a computer and not having a great graphics card. So my learning on lightning and material is not instant and it takes a few seconds with the Physical render (even with the progressive option). It would be cool to have a render like Blender does, that give some realtime rendering.
My future plans is to get a new computer and dive into lightning/materials/nodes/CPU-GPU renders. 
Thanks again, Alexander! 

16 hours ago, VECTOR said:

Gimmie all the wireframes baybaaaaaaaaay 😄 in addition, nice start there, you'll be up and about in no time 😄

Wireframes coming in hot! 
Thanks, Vector! 

Thanks for all the feedback, guys!

Here we go again:

Jack-o'-lantern

kUmP1LH.png

ULpQwkn.png

Mindset on doing it: 
As you can see, I didn't have a clube about what modeling was or the good topology could be. But with the basics, I tried my best. 
What I've learned:

- Preparing before and doing lots of tests with extrusions. With some modeling drafts, you won't get in the middle with a huge problem. 
- Light can be so much fun when you add step by step. 
- It's a confusing world when you add one line across the whole mesh an everything changes. But after you get that, you start to add cuts with more precision.

Magnemite

1jbvXlu.png

Mindset on doing it: 
Let's pick the most parametric Pokémon as possible, just in case I don't wanna get frustrated trying to do a Charizard.
What I've learned:

- That noise on low settings is not a problem when you can use a denoiser. Use denoiser! 

Chess Set

N38aG3P.png

Mindset on doing it: 
I'll just use the Loft on all these and baaam, job's done. But no no no, there is some good cuts between the bishop and the horse looks like a seahorse because it's hard to do modeling on him.
What I've learned:

- Best way to model the horse is with some sculpting! 

Umbrella on the rain

OndkzzQ.png

Mindset on doing it: 
"I'll just add the water drops with a cloner. It will be easy!" Wait a second, why my drops are not on the orientation I want? AHHHHH
What I've learned:

- Selection tags are an important way to organize, and at same time, apply effects where you want them.

Kitbash exercise 

MTOXLKj.png

Mindset on doing it: 
I remember being fascinated on how adding cuts was changing the model. So many lines, but for a reason!  
What I've learned:

- Even segments on the model is the way to go, if you want to have a tight and precise model. 

Technical Modeling

gYJoXF9.png

Mindset on doing it: 
This little fella might be the reason I've started to love modeling. Let me tell you that I did give up modeling him like 4 times or so. 
"It's too hard to make this into a single mesh/model" 

But here's a spoiler: 

Spoiler

A4wGs0P.png

I did it! 

What I've learned:

- Perseverance is such a beautiful word

Game Boy 

QQBptmx.png

Mindset on doing it: 
Like the previous model, I did give up a few times on this one too.
But after some good old days with coffee, I finished and it became the first project that I was really really proud of!
I tried to do the whole game console. All the details on the front, on the back, the sides. Even the cartridge and a paper for maintenance from Nintendo. 

Looking at now, the lightning and materials looks "washed", but it is still a good render. 
Btw, I was so focused on modeling that I didn't even separated the buttons with Split or something. It is part of the whole case. Hahaha 

What I've learned:

- References, references, create a folder with references you would think that you won't need. But details are there. 

- Use real measurements if possible and put cubes with those sizes

- Different approaches usually occur when you stop modeling and try to look at the whole model

- Forget about materials and lightning, finish the model first and make it look great. 

Wireframes baaaaabe:
ezdMcoB.png

u5upDBL.png

LgGSHL2.gif

Thanks guys!

24 minutes ago, EAlexander said:

Just throwing this out there: Corona and Arnold are Cpu based renderers that are amazing and run well on macs. Corona is my favorite. These come with a cost, of course, but just know that being on Mac doesn't take you out of the conversation for 3rd party renderers.

Thanks for the advice, Alexander!
Both Corona and Arnold looks amazing. I'll look into it. 
Did you made the switch for a new computer soon or stayed learning a little bit more before going ballistics on buying i7 / GeForces with mountains of TFLOPS? 
I'm planning to read some books about photography. Many people say they learned lightning with photography basics. 

1 hour ago, quadsdamage said:

I'm planning to read some books about photography. Many people say they learned lightning with photography basics. 

You will definitely learn a lot about lighting and more from studying photography. There are so many resources to learn from, even just doing a basic google image search on photography lighting will give the basic knowledge of 3-point lighting, (key, fill & rim). The size of the light and distance will affect the softness of shadows. Another more advanced topic is how fall-off effects the contrast of the light, so in the end you are balancing the distance of the light (contrast), with the size (shadow softness), and exposure (brightness). Artistic elements can include color and flagging (framing the light with cards).

It's certainly easier said than done, but getting a chance to see a real world example of a lighting crew on a live shoot will teach you a lot. They are constantly moving lights, changing the colors, flagging, and communicating with the DP (director of photography) to craft the final look for the camera.

The easiest way to get more experience is picking up a camera and going out and shooting. With our phones this has become ubiquitous, though a camera with basic manual functions like aperture and zoom (focal length) can teach you a lot about depth of field, angle of view, and lens distortion. Have fun! 🙂

5 hours ago, EAlexander said:

Just throwing this out there: Corona and Arnold are Cpu based renderers that are amazing and run well on macs. Corona is my favorite. These come with a cost, of course, but just know that being on Mac doesn't take you out of the conversation for 3rd party renderers.

Just to add that Arnold is also GPU renderer too. And I find it very straight forward and really easy to learn. 

13 hours ago, quadsdamage said:

"Keep making as much stuff as you can" is one the things I've learned after some good weeks. Because there are so much to know and thinker around, you need to forget about settings/tutorials and create some stuff yourself to really get to learn.

Lightning and material is two big topics on my watch. I know I really need to deep dive on those. That saying lightning make or break the render is so true.
Problem is having a mac as a computer and not having a great graphics card. So my learning on lightning and material is not instant and it takes a few seconds with the Physical render (even with the progressive option). It would be cool to have a render like Blender does, that give some realtime rendering.
My future plans is to get a new computer and dive into lightning/materials/nodes/CPU-GPU renders. 
Thanks again, Alexander! 

Wireframes coming in hot! 
Thanks, Vector! 

😛😛😛😛

12 hours ago, quadsdamage said:

Thanks for all the feedback, guys!

Here we go again:

Jack-o'-lantern

kUmP1LH.png

ULpQwkn.png

Mindset on doing it: 
As you can see, I didn't have a clube about what modeling was or the good topology could be. But with the basics, I tried my best. 
What I've learned:

- Preparing before and doing lots of tests with extrusions. With some modeling drafts, you won't get in the middle with a huge problem. 
- Light can be so much fun when you add step by step. 
- It's a confusing world when you add one line across the whole mesh an everything changes. But after you get that, you start to add cuts with more precision.

Magnemite

1jbvXlu.png

Mindset on doing it: 
Let's pick the most parametric Pokémon as possible, just in case I don't wanna get frustrated trying to do a Charizard.
What I've learned:

- That noise on low settings is not a problem when you can use a denoiser. Use denoiser! 

Chess Set

N38aG3P.png

Mindset on doing it: 
I'll just use the Loft on all these and baaam, job's done. But no no no, there is some good cuts between the bishop and the horse looks like a seahorse because it's hard to do modeling on him.
What I've learned:

- Best way to model the horse is with some sculpting! 

Umbrella on the rain

OndkzzQ.png

Mindset on doing it: 
"I'll just add the water drops with a cloner. It will be easy!" Wait a second, why my drops are not on the orientation I want? AHHHHH
What I've learned:

- Selection tags are an important way to organize, and at same time, apply effects where you want them.

Kitbash exercise 

MTOXLKj.png

Mindset on doing it: 
I remember being fascinated on how adding cuts was changing the model. So many lines, but for a reason!  
What I've learned:

- Even segments on the model is the way to go, if you want to have a tight and precise model. 

Technical Modeling

gYJoXF9.png

Mindset on doing it: 
This little fella might be the reason I've started to love modeling. Let me tell you that I did give up modeling him like 4 times or so. 
"It's too hard to make this into a single mesh/model" 

But here's a spoiler: 

Hide contents

A4wGs0P.png

I did it! 

What I've learned:

- Perseverance is such a beautiful word

Game Boy 

QQBptmx.png

Mindset on doing it: 
Like the previous model, I did give up a few times on this one too.
But after some good old days with coffee, I finished and it became the first project that I was really really proud of!
I tried to do the whole game console. All the details on the front, on the back, the sides. Even the cartridge and a paper for maintenance from Nintendo. 

Looking at now, the lightning and materials looks "washed", but it is still a good render. 
Btw, I was so focused on modeling that I didn't even separated the buttons with Split or something. It is part of the whole case. Hahaha 

What I've learned:

- References, references, create a folder with references you would think that you won't need. But details are there. 

- Use real measurements if possible and put cubes with those sizes

- Different approaches usually occur when you stop modeling and try to look at the whole model

- Forget about materials and lightning, finish the model first and make it look great. 

Wireframes baaaaabe:
ezdMcoB.png

u5upDBL.png

LgGSHL2.gif

Thanks guys!

Damn man this is impressive progress 

Copyright Core 4D © 2023 Powered by Invision Community