quadsdamage Sketchbook Vol 01 - Beginner Journey

quadsdamage

On 9/20/2021 at 11:30 PM, JThreeD said:

You will definitely learn a lot about lighting and more from studying photography. There are so many resources to learn from, even just doing a basic google image search on photography lighting will give the basic knowledge of 3-point lighting, (key, fill & rim). The size of the light and distance will affect the softness of shadows. Another more advanced topic is how fall-off effects the contrast of the light, so in the end you are balancing the distance of the light (contrast), with the size (shadow softness), and exposure (brightness). Artistic elements can include color and flagging (framing the light with cards).

It's certainly easier said than done, but getting a chance to see a real world example of a lighting crew on a live shoot will teach you a lot. They are constantly moving lights, changing the colors, flagging, and communicating with the DP (director of photography) to craft the final look for the camera.

The easiest way to get more experience is picking up a camera and going out and shooting. With our phones this has become ubiquitous, though a camera with basic manual functions like aperture and zoom (focal length) can teach you a lot about depth of field, angle of view, and lens distortion. Have fun! 🙂

I remember watching a video about Inverse Square Law and my mind was blown. Size and distance is something I really didn't much at the beginning. Like, I was even afraid to go over the 100% value for some reason. But for lightning is really all about experimentation and trying out 10000 times.

The example of a lightning crew is great. Because when you light the scene alone, you don't have a buddy to correct one of the 3 lights. You've to discover that yourself. Hahaha

I will try to take some pictures and observe the changes. Thanks JThreeD! 

21 hours ago, VECTOR said:

😛😛😛😛

Damn man this is impressive progress 

Thank you, Vector! Much appreciated!