Surreal Maxon fee for transferring old perpetual licences...

hyyde

Hii. I just noticed that maxon is charging transfer fee of £175 for simple licence transfer. Is that a new thing ? Or do they just seriously  taking a piss out of every customer ? 

Paying to get product, paying to keep it every year and now paying to get rid of it... What a brilliant business model.  

https://www.maxon.net/en/legal/license-transfer

Go into 3d industry they said, it will be fun they said...and you will make money, said nobody 😄

C4d Its probably the best tool for the job for that price. but its getting worse with every new `feature`.  Soon they will start charging for daily use or login into maxon account. or contacting tech support... 

Or maybe its just the world that's going mad.

On 9/20/2021 at 12:59 PM, hyyde said:

Hii. I just noticed that maxon is charging transfer fee of £175 for simple licence transfer. Is that a new thing ? Or do they just seriously  taking a piss out of every customer ? 

Paying to get product, paying to keep it every year and now paying to get rid of it... What a brilliant business model. Greedy bastardos.

https://www.maxon.net/en/legal/license-transfer

nothing new there, Insydium does the same

I bought my first version of Cinema years ago from another user.  Maxon did not make me pay for a license transfer and I was still able to upgrade the license with no problem. The reason they do it now? I'm not sure but I think as someone said in the other thread, because now they can?

The reason for the charge will be because it will require someone’s time. It won’t be an automated system. And I guess you probably need to email the details, they will have to verify it is all correct and then manually go in and change the user details.

Edit: just read the link you posted and that is indeed the case. Someone needs to verify it then they physically contact both parties to confirm and only then does the transfer take place. Why would a company do this for free?

40 minutes ago, contrafibbularities said:

Why would a company charge the ridiculous amount of 175 pounds for that?

Because it takes a human resource X amount of hours to do the physical work involved. And it produces zero benefit to the company involved because it is transferring the license for a version of C4D that no longer generates any revenue for that company. So you are taking a resource away from the job they are usually doing just to handle this task. I am just talking business here. What would you charge?

3 hours ago, kbar said:

Because it takes a human resource X amount of hours to do the physical work involved. And it produces zero benefit to the company involved because it is transferring the license for a version of C4D that no longer generates any revenue for that company. So you are taking a resource away from the job they are usually doing just to handle this task. I am just talking business here. What would you charge?

A person in germany earning 6500€ before taxes costs a company in west germany round about 82€/h including all costs for desks, computers, coffee and so on. looks like a lot of work to me when one license swap takes more than 2 hours. Microsoft could dry the swamp of second hand licenses (that they hate) just by inventing such a fee like this. But they might see problems with the right to sell used software in the EU. 

23 minutes ago, Jops said:

A person in germany earning 6500€ before taxes costs a company in west germany round about 82€/h including all costs for desks, computers, coffee and so on. looks like a lot of work to me when one license swap takes more than 2 hours.

That person is also kept from doing something that might actually make the company money. Keep in mind that the buyer of used software licenses does not support the manufacturer in any way, at least not until they decide to upgrade the license, which they might or might not do.

2 minutes ago, srek said:

That person is also kept from doing something that might actually make the company money. Keep in mind that the buyer of used software licenses does not support the manufacturer in any way, at least not until they decide to upgrade the license, which they might or might not do.

I think that it is acceptable to charge a small fee. But fist i find the fee to high, second it is just a another treat for the perpetuals. an third: I unfortunately do not believe that this argument is valid. You could senior mangement make do this job, then you can charge even more. 🙂 And The person that sells the license might as well have supported the company for 20 years. But in return doesn't get supported by the company when he wants to maybe sell one of his licenses.