Surreal Maxon fee for transferring old perpetual licences...

hyyde

A sale to a new user represents a new user to Mason, which Mason should be happy to have. They didn't used to charge this fee and now they do, and the fact that the software is tied to a server is the main reason they can.

I definitely agree there should be a license transfer fee, as it uses company resources to do so. I paid the same amount in 2018. However I can't see it taking a Maxon employee more than an hour of his/her time. So yeah I agree, that fee is still quite steep for such a process.

3 hours ago, mrittman said:

I definitely agree there should be a license transfer fee, as it uses company resources to do so. I paid the same amount in 2018. However I can't see it taking a Maxon employee more than an hour of his/her time. So yeah, I agree that fee is still quiet steep for such a process.

Exactly. I mean come on, Is it more complicated than say, renting someone a car? 

18 minutes ago, MJV said:

Exactly. I mean come on, Is it more complicated than say, renting someone a car? 

No, but it is a bit like asking a car rental person to only rent you a spare tire of one of the cars. Yes, they can probably do it, but the effort is much higher than for their standard business. You don’t implement a real business process for something that happens once every blue moon. License changes were never frequent, but since subscription came they are nearly non existent.

3 hours ago, srek said:

No, but it is a bit like asking a car rental person to only rent you a spare tire of one of the cars. Yes, they can probably do it, but the effort is much higher than for their standard business. You don’t implement a real business process for something that happens once every blue moon. License changes were never frequent, but since subscription came they are nearly non existent.

Well, I would argue that it's literally nothing like that, but whatever.  In my mind it's just routine customer maintenance and good business to try to take care of new and departing customers without having to make a killing on every single customer interaction. If nothing else it seems clear to me that Maxon's reputation for customer service and customer loyalty has completely tanked in the last few years, at least in the admittedly fishbowl communities we see online, fair or not, and there must be some reason for that. 

I get it that it takes someone's time, but i will never believe that it takes more than 10 min to confirm the details. Especially if there is a clear form, on their website, with all the details they ever need to see. If they have some paper documents to support that, that's another 10 min. £175 for 20 min of work ? Dream job. And also there is no way they will take a programmers time to do such things, i m sure they have operations/sales department who takes care of that. Which is the job they being paid to do anyway. So such a stupid fee is clearly just to 'milk the cow' as much as they can. 

JOPS is right, they could put someone from management to do this and charge 3 times that, simply cause they can. 

On 9/22/2021 at 11:46 AM, srek said:

That person is also kept from doing something that might actually make the company money. Keep in mind that the buyer of used software licenses does not support the manufacturer in any way, at least not until they decide to upgrade the license, which they might or might not do.

Also agree, but they should also consider their customers sometimes, who are creating money for them, and  eventually will leave them, if things like this will keep happening. It wont be all of them, but it might hurt their budgets a bit. Recent decisions put a lot of C4D users against them, I'm seeing a lot of people switching software. A lot of Redshift user doing the same. 

I barely charge this amount/hourly and i have clients like Microsoft and Apple among other stuff.. And i do actual work...

Ridiculous and the analogy with someone's "time" when u spend thousands of euros in a software and they repeatedly charge you is simply bad policy. Of course people will jump to other software like this... 

And what companies dont understand is that good artists advertise ur software. Not good marketing, but good artists... Try to hold to them.

I ll mention here the GSG plus policy that wants to charge me for using HDRI Link 400$ per year... Even though I own all of their stuff before plus, from plugins to tutorials... Everyone is looking to milk whatever they can...

On 9/23/2021 at 12:35 PM, thanulee said:

I barely charge this amount/hourly and i have clients like Microsoft and Apple among other stuff.. And i do actual work...

Ridiculous and the analogy with someone's "time" when u spend thousands of euros in a software and they repeatedly charge you is simply bad policy. Of course people will jump to other software like this... 

And what companies dont understand is that good artists advertise ur software. Not good marketing, but good artists... Try to hold to them.

I ll mention here the GSG plus policy that wants to charge me for using HDRI Link 400$ per year... Even though I own all of their stuff before plus, from plugins to tutorials... Everyone is looking to milk whatever they can...

GSG Plus is a joke.
Whenever I see this being mentioned, I cant help but to roll my eyes.
They always announce it as if it was a big advantage do its users, well.. all these subscription scam companies does the same 
"We are doing this for you! It has a lower entry level! We are always updating and giving support" 

We know how exactly how this works by now... 

Copyright Core 4D © 2023 Powered by Invision Community