SideFX announces Houdini 19 (by mistake)

Guest Igor

Seems like today every Houdini user received an email from SideFX about their latest release which as it seems coming in late October. New release will be Houdini 19 and from the email improvements are coming to pretty much everything. 

image.png

For those who don’t know much about Houdini, let me say few words about what is what. Some features listed above are pretty much self explanatory but features like KineFX, Solaris and Karma are not, so let me say few words about those. 

KineFX is latest improvement in rigging and motion capturing department, build from ground up to replace old rigging system. KineFX was first introduced with H18.5.

Solaris is new context also build from ground up and introduced last year as full blown USD Hydra workflow and Karma is completely new for now CPU renderer build to complement Solaris and USD workflows. 

As usual Houdini’s release looks solid as rock and soon enough we should be able to see all those improvements in motions next month. As soon those are available I’ll be sharing them here. 

On the other hand, I am curious to know how many Houdini users we have here? 🙂

• Guest featured this topic

I'm certainly looking forward to checking out v19 : )
I'm very slowly chipping away at learning (some!) Houdini. I started using it because I wanted the terrain features it offered - good erosion simulation etc. It's functionality in fluids / oceans and cloth are also areas I hope to leverage in due course!

I don't think I'll ever fully move to it - I'm too late in my career for that - but it's certainly an awesome tool in the box!

As Kent suggests:  too much to do, too much to learn, and too little time to do it : )

Its probably never been a better time to at least try it out. SideFX doing more an more to simplify thigs and its doing it well. If everyone is keen to learn nodes, then Houdini is only logical choice due to its simplification of nodal system. Dont forget that SideFX doing nodes for 3 decades now. Its going to take a long time for others to catch up, if ever. 

Here is something from me...

tracks_test_v1.gif

test_track_anim.gif

I am eager to see what kind of modeling improvements they did and also viewport. They are still on OGL, so maybe they also have been preparing DX viewport.

This is what a proper release looks like.   Hopefully this even pushes Blender users to a proper node-based workflow, including an app that can legitimately hold large amounts of data without batting an eye.   With Houdini Indie pricing, it's actually cheaper than Blender + the 10+ add-ons required to make it usable.

5 hours ago, Igor said:

Its probably never been a better time to at least try it out. SideFX doing more an more to simplify thigs and its doing it well. If everyone is keen to learn nodes, then Houdini is only logical choice due to its simplification of nodal system. Dont forget that SideFX doing nodes for 3 decades now. Its going to take a long time for others to catch up, if ever. 

tracks_test_v1.gif

test_track_anim.gif

I am eager to see what kind of modeling improvements they did and also viewport. They are still on OGL, so maybe they also have been preparing DX viewport.

This is awesome, I was recently struggling to get something like this working in C4D that was actually usable. Does this have any sort of dynamicss? Like riding over terrain etc?

3 hours ago, johanal said:

This is what a proper release looks like.   Hopefully this even pushes Blender users to a proper node-based workflow, including an app that can legitimately hold large amounts of data without batting an eye.   With Houdini Indie pricing, it's actually cheaper than Blender + the 10+ add-ons required to make it usable.

Yea, agreed. There is still tons I could add without ever going outside of H and buying or buying a plugin. 

9 minutes ago, DaveW said:

This is awesome, I was recently struggling to get something like this working in C4D that was actually usable. Does this have any sort of dynamicss? Like riding over terrain etc?

For now no, but that's my next challenge to try and solve. But it's most definitely possible.  

5 hours ago, Igor said:

tracks_test_v1.gif

test_track_anim.gif

Hello

Can you repeat this stuff only by c4d nodes?