Real teeth material

Go to solution Solved by Cerbera,

You mean a whole set of teeth - human teeth or animal ?  And do you mean photo -real, or cartoon style ? Lots of questions here ! A pic or screenshot of your model  would be most helpful in showing us what you need. You will probably need to UV unwrap the teeth model(s) first and export a UV mesh layer for use in photoshop etc. Then I would get some reference photos of teeth, and colour pick the key shades, and begin building up the texture in layers giving you gum and teeth shading.

You can look at the examples of UV mapped teeth on sites like turbosquid to show you the sort of texturing your need to create... for example...

image.png.1f984aa6e5858922eca58682f4118781.png

Can't really suggest more than that without knowing a lot more precisely what sort of teeth you mean.

CBR

I've been working on a teeth shader in Arnold recently for a project, and while I haven't tried to replicate it in Cycles, I would say that the key to realistic teeth is nailing it's translucency, through the sss and/or the refraction channels.

The attached image shows a tooth shader being driven completely by sss. (The character is kinda gross, so please try to disregard all the gunk and cracks in the model 🥴)

snapshot 059.jpg

• Solution

You still haven't said what quality of material you are trying to make - photo-real or something more stylised, but the basis to getting this to work on that model is to use a standard cylindrical projection in conjunction with a Vertical gradient containing the main colours you need.

I don't use Cycles so can't advise on the specifics, but that's the mapping type you probably need for this if you are tackling it most simply.

image.png.01dda956661e7c3fa9275e72abff2c7b.png

But if you find that isn't giving you enough flexibility, then you may need to go in and do a full UV unwrap, and proceed as I suggested originally, something that will be time consuming and tedious given the horribly triangulated and random state of the model.

The nicest textured result would ideally require you to retopo this first.

CBR

Copyright Core 4D © 2023 Powered by Invision Community