My first Interior Render using Redshift

BIgor

Hi :D, ok so I did this render, found this pre-build scene of a kitchen for free online and I did all the texturing using Redshift materials and lighting with a Dome light and 2 Portal lights on the 2 windows that are in the scene also add 3 Fill light to add some color to the light from the window. Used a Plane with and Image in the BG of the window...and also a Redshift Environment.  So what do you think of it? How can I improve it? Render time 22min. 03 sec.

P.S. The table has a frosted glass slab on the top of it, part of the design... 

3.png

Ok, a few bits jump out straight away:

• The handles on the fridge are facetted, you can see lines along them. This object is either missing a phong tag or it has some odd settings.
  • The fridge also has a very odd texture to it, like it is made from the same cheap beaten metal of air conditioning air vents, same for the ring on the ceiling.
  • The lighting in the room is bright burning sunshine glaring through the window, but the view out of the window is a dark cloudy day in a city? Everything outside should be burnt out white and impossible to see.
45 minutes ago, imashination said:

Ok, a few bits jump out straight away:

• The handles on the fridge are facetted, you can see lines along them. This object is either missing a phong tag or it has some odd settings.
  • The fridge also has a very odd texture to it, like it is made from the same cheap beaten metal of air conditioning air vents, same for the ring on the ceiling.
  • The lighting in the room is bright burning sunshine glaring through the window, but the view out of the window is a dark cloudy day in a city? Everything outside should be burnt out white and impossible to see

@imashination

Ok, THX. The window was blown out, almost totally white, that is why I placed the photo in the bg, had no idea that it was good like that... 

Fridge SD was turned of, forgot to turn it on.

Fridge material is called Gun metal scratches...

I would like to add and suggest you spend some time on compositing and see what you could add to the scene or for example what is the point of having just few plates on the table and randomly set chairs? Ask yourself what is that you wanna sell here, what kind of mood you would like to set and so on...

You could maybe read this and learn something about compositing. 

What is composition in design? | Blue Sky - Online Graphic Design School (blueskygraphics.co.uk)

20 minutes ago, Igor said:

I would like to add and suggest you spend some time on compositing and see what you could add to the scene or for example what is the point of having just few plates on the table and randomly set chairs? Ask yourself what is that you wanna sell here, what kind of mood you would like to set and so on...

You could maybe read this and learn something about compositing. 

What is composition in design? | Blue Sky - Online Graphic Design School (blueskygraphics.co.uk)

Well for now I just want to get some EPIC lighting going in the scene, there was also a try with some people models in the scene but for now an empty one like this is good enough 🙂 need to make it as best as I can... 🙂

You’ve got some good comments already. Overall it’s a nice interior shot. I would say that the image outside the window looks off, both in brightness and the actual view. The brightest parts in the image are also a bit too bright -unless that’s the look you’re after. A small detail: The back of the chair closest to the camera looks really flat. I would suggest that you rotate it somewhat, to make the lighting more lifelike. 

Yeah, rockin' - blown out window fixes most things that were wrong initially, and it's looking pretty convincing now...

Aesthetically though, I know it's very much a thing these days to have this hyper-bright daylight in a scene but with so many reflective surfaces in this room I do wonder if all the blow outs we get everywhere are a bit much / too intense / not very attractive. Perhaps the whole scene might benfit from a night shot, with interior lights doing most of the illumination ?

Or perhaps the daylight could be more warm and subtle rather than so cold and clinical ?

CBR

your lighting is still too "hot", you get  lot of blown out areas, where there's no color information in there any more. in real life, if you have such a big window and such bright surfaces, the bounce lights would even things out a bit more, you would not have those very dark areas you currently have. right now the lighting looks more like a room that has a window half the size of this one. i get that the blinds cover about half of it, but blinds like that are not fully opaque, so you might wanna give those some more translucency as well. 

2 hours ago, everfresh said:

your lighting is still too "hot", you get  lot of blown out areas, where there's no color information in there any more. in real life, if you have such a big window and such bright surfaces, the bounce lights would even things out a bit more, you would not have those very dark areas you currently have. right now the lighting looks more like a room that has a window half the size of this one. i get that the blinds cover about half of it, but blinds like that are not fully opaque, so you might wanna give those some more translucency as well. 

Ok, I will see what I can do in my next try, thx for the advice...

Lots of good advice in here already.  I also try to think about what is happening in the house behind the camera?  What does this kitchen butt up against - a living room with lots of windows?  A small hallway?  While your big window is the motivational driver for the lighting (and I really agree with Everfresh here on the intensity and overall darkness/contrast) - there would be light coming at it from the camera side too.  That might be another window we can't see, overhead lighting or lamps, or even just bounce off a near by wall.  So think about that a bit to balance it out.  Don't be afraid to look at other renders or photos to try and emulate lighting - see attached.

Keep going!  This is how we learn.

Kitchen_renders.jpg

evanalexander.com     Abusing chromatic aberration heavily since 2011....