What is wrong with flat mapping in C4D? (Does not work as expected)

Go to solution Solved by Mike A,

Hi guys,

I was just trying some simple textures on a plane, and thus used Flat projection, but realized the texture looks messed up.

I experimented further and created a simple material with checkboard shader as difuse, and it also comes out wrong...

What am I doing wrong?

Just try it, use a checkboard shader and apply the material to a plane with flat mapping...

image.png.a959bffc5d7fb076d1af9ffabc36d49b.png

• Solution

Short answer: Nothing : )
Probably: You're texture projection is facing the wrong direction.

If you put your C4D version in your profile you'll get more specific help.

But in R21 - the version I use:

Assuming you have 'flat projection' selected in the texture tag:

1. Select the 'Texture' (Texture mode) tool.
2. You may want to click on the texture tag in the OM and from the 'projection display' menu select 'grid' or 'solid' to see the projection more clearly.

3. Use the standard rotate tool to rotate your texture projection so the texture Z axis aligns with the normal of your plane.

4. Return to model mode.

---

If not this, perhaps you've got some odd texture scaling / tiling values?

Okay I see it...

image.png.8836ebafdd6887be704ce9d315722a4d.png

Why is the 'flat' projection set to XY plane by default is beyond me.

4 hours ago, Cerbera said:

This will be user error and a projection plane rotated incorrectly.

I did not rotate anything. I expect the checkerboard to work out of the box... It is also incoherent with all objects in C4D which are created in the Y+ Axis...

6 hours ago, ShynnSup said:

I did not rotate anything. I expect the checkerboard to work out of the box... It is also incoherent with all objects in C4D which are created in the Y+ Axis...

Exactly - that was the error ! 🙂

There is no particular reason that planar projection is not Y+ by default, but also no particular reason it should be, given that the whole point of standard projections is that the projection is independent from the object ! 

Yes there is, it is common convention for Planar/Flat projection to work from Top to Bottom by default.

The same reason why Plane primitive object, or any object for that matter gets created in Y+. There is definitely no reason for the Plane object to be Y+ right? A plane could be anywhere in any orientation.  But the standard is Y+, aka a floor. Flat projection should follow this standard or at least be coherent with the Plane object: I don't care if Plane gets created in Z+, but make it both plane and flat projection in the same orientation! Basic stuff.

38 minutes ago, ShynnSup said:

Yes there is, it is common convention for Planar/Flat projection to work from Top to Bottom by default.

The same reason why Plane primitive object, or any object for that matter gets created in Y+. There is definitely no reason for the Plane object to be Y+ right? A plane could be anywhere in any orientation.  But the standard is Y+, aka a floor. Flat projection should follow this standard or at least be coherent with the Plane object: I don't care if Plane gets created in Z+, but make it both plane and flat projection in the same orientation! Basic stuff.

I agree with this but the reason it isn't like this in Cinema is simply because the software is pretty old and has carried forward a lot of questionable initial decisions. I even remember hearing somewhere that the original creators regretted the initial choice of Cinema's axis system itself, which is also non standard and has created headaches for the developers ever since 

Copyright Core 4D © 2023 Powered by Invision Community