Frost growing animation

Hi all

Im trying to create a small animation where I have a frosted type of image/material grow around a can as it rotates slowly. I have followed a couple of tuts ive seen online that show how to use the alpha channel with the low clip etc to create a slowly introducing material but this hasnt quite worked for me. Ive also tried to use a vertex map to isolate the area i want it to create the frost effect in but I cant seem to get that to work either. I'm juts wondering if I really actually need something like X particles or should Cinema 4d be able to produce some reasonable effect?

Any help would be really appreciated as im not very good with animation and keyframing in general so need all the advice i can get. Please download the file which is basic but keyframed.

Cheers

Lang

can and frost ani.zip

I'll leave the frost question to the animation guys, but are you sure you want to leave the top of the can like that, modelling-wise - Constructively speaking, that's fairly horrendous as models go, and is creating the expected surface artefacts we get in render if we ignore the Sub-D rules and permit horribly complex poles and triangles / ngons everywhere ? There is no need for either of those in this model.

image.png.85c0b01785ffb452690423790f9ead17.png

CBR

Hi Cerbera. Thanks for that. There should be a subD nurbs in there so should smooth out nicely. Its an old model that I did quite some time ago and have used a few times on other models so its ok, not the best but ok and does the job 👍

Hi Cerbera. Im not seeing much in the way of views on this topic so just wondering if this is in the correct subject forum? Can I also add to the model question that in all honesty it doesn't really matter about the model as that is just a placeholder and it will probably be applied to something altogether different.

Cheers.

I think you need to state what render engine you want this for, because they have different workflows for this and what works for one won't likely work for the other. Also, if you're following a tutorial online, be sure it's specific to your render engine, or again it likely won't work for you.

1 hour ago, Langley said:

Hi Cerbera. Im not seeing much in the way of views on this topic so just wondering if this is in the correct subject forum?

Since the dissolution of our original categories, Animation is the right place for this sort of thing.

6 hours ago, Langley said:

There should be a subD nurbs in there so should smooth out nicely.

There is, and it produces render artefacts for the reasons above ! SDS doesn't fix modelling problems, it exacerbates them ! But no worries if this is a temp model or one that doesn't matter...

You are possibly not getting very many responses on the frost thing because you don't mention either which tutorial you followed, or what it is about what you have now that isn't what you want.

CBR

Simply animating the low clip parameter in the alpha channel should work fine - (but maybe the actual image could be better).

Just drag the vertex map into the 'selection' fiels of the material to limit the effect.

Not sure specifically what is not working for you?

Guest Langley
39 minutes ago, davetwo said:

Simply animating the low clip parameter in the alpha channel should work fine - (but maybe the actual image could be better).

Just drag the vertex map into the 'selection' fiels of the material to limit the effect.

Not sure specifically what is not working for you?

Thanks DAVETWO. Im not sure about using the vertex map in the selection tag for the material as when I do that im seeing nothing. I didn't think you could use vertex maps directly in the selection tab on the materials, tell me if im wrong? Thought it had to be done through the alpha tab within the material with the vertex map effect added that way? Ive seen other tuts online that have shown it being done with the low clip as you say but if I want to restrict it with a vertex tag i dont seem to be able to make that work. Any suggestions?

Im trying to find an example of exactly what im trying to achieve but cant find it specifically but know it can be done. I'll try and explain. Im after getting the frost effect to grow around the object or reveal itself but not all at the same time if that makes any sense? So that it kind of grows as the can or object turns. I was thinking that some sort of animating gradient would be basic but might be ok so that it grows slowly to reveal more and more of the texture. I guess if a material was an actual object it could be done with a falloff field but I dont know enough to know if that can be done with a material?

Copyright Core 4D © 2023 Powered by Invision Community