R25 UI lagging

Hi guys,

I hope I found the right section to post this. However, I've the follwoing problem: 

As soon as a scene gets a little heavier I notice an awful bad lag when navigating the viewport, clicking buttons or switching viewports. So its not the scene itself which is slow responding, its the UI. Pressing stop and play again takes around 1 second. And it's driving me nuts. 

The best thing: it's not coherent. Every now and then it works like expected.

Rough setup:

1080ti as a display card

Threadripper 3960x

128 GB RAM

Most recent Win 10 and nvidia driver

I remember that the docked F Curve window caused massive performance problems but its the same with the standard layout.

Is there same magic option I missed to tick? Otherwise I've to contact the support... 😞

I would contact support about that anyway - it would be interesting to hear what they have to say about that.

I have to say I have noticed the same sort of thing, but only since I updated to nvidia 472.12 (studio) - before that (462.72, studio) it was better.

I have been monitoring this myself, and I think Maxon are aware of stability problems with that driver, but I haven't specifically reported it myself yet because for me it is rather more sporadic and nebulous and hard to identify. I am considering rolling back the video driver to see if that helps, but as it is a massive PITA that involves a complete removal of existing driver I think I will put up with it a bit longer and see if the next driver update from nvidia (which are fairly regular in appearance) helps !

CBR

1 hour ago, Hrvoje said:

Can you upload the scene? Or this happens in all scenes..?

Yes, it seems not the be scene related. The weird thing is, the same scene now just works fine... without changing anything. Additionally the scene is under NDA, sorry.

1 hour ago, Cerbera said:

I would contact support about that anyway - it would be interesting to hear what they have to say about that.

I have to say I have noticed the same sort of thing, but only since I updated to nvidia 472.12 (studio) - before that (462.72, studio) it was better.

I have been monitoring this myself, and I think Maxon are aware of stability problems with that driver, but I haven't specifically reported it myself yet because for me it is rather more sporadic and nebulous and hard to identify.

Exactly, thats why I wanted to ask here first. The thing is, I can't provide much information to the support because it's consistent or re-produceable.

My first guess was the driver as well

1 hour ago, Cerbera said:

t is a massive PITA that involves a complete removal of existing driver

Hm, nowadays it's actually quiete simple using DDU... I may give it a try if it happens again.

On 10/12/2021 at 2:53 PM, Hrvoje said:

Can you upload the scene? Or this happens in all scenes..?

It seems I found the culprit... it was the same as years ago (now I remember). 😄

It is an animated value of an octane material. Mute it and it works just fine, at least right now. I can't say for sure I already had this material when I first noticed the lag though...

Ive had this issue throughout the years with octane and multiple c4d versions. At some point octane decides that it absolutely must rerender all materials after every mouse click. Full reboot and it magically vanishes. Its just something I learned to live with. Once it starts happening in a project it is more likely to continue happening, I just get that project over with ASAP and move onto a new project where it doesnt happen.

Could be related to any baking nodes, baked c4d shaders or very high res textures >8k

Copyright Core 4D © 2023 Powered by Invision Community