Houdini 19 - Reveal

Guest Igor

5 minutes ago, MJV said:

I went to Side FX site today to try to figure out what Houdini Indi license costs and entails today but that part of the site is down. Can someone who has it explain it a bit? I just finally cleared a bunch of stuff off my plate that was dragging me down and can finally devote some time to learning something new.

What exactly you wanna know? What are your interest with 3D? As I consider myself mostly a hobbyist I really don't see any restrictions. And if I am not wrong you can work and earn with the Indie license as long as you dont earn more than 100000$ per year, but you cannot work within a team with it, but I am not 100% sure about that.

2 minutes ago, MJV said:

I'm interested. Would be cool to live chat about this sometime. This site doesn't have such a feature does it?

We can definitely arrange it next week. Maybe once H19 is out we can gather together and I live stream while checking out new stuff and we talk about it as I go. 🙂

9 minutes ago, MJV said:

I went to Side FX site today to try to figure out what Houdini Indi license costs and entails today but that part of the site is down. Can someone who has it explain it a bit? I just finally cleared a bunch of stuff off my plate that was dragging me down and can finally devote some time to learning something new.

It appears to work for me on the U.S. site, I can at least add to cart. Has there been any talk about Indie pricing changes when they release Houdini 19? It's an AMAZING deal regardless, but I'm debating snatching up the $400 for 2-years deal this weekend before the offer could theoretically change as soon as... Monday, right?

5 minutes ago, connartist said:

It appears to work for me on the U.S. site, I can at least add to cart. Has there been any talk about Indie pricing changes when they release Houdini 19? It's an AMAZING deal regardless, but I'm debating snatching up the $400 for 2-years deal this weekend before the offer could theoretically change as soon as... Monday, right?

I doubt it will change, its like this for a long time now.

19 minutes ago, Igor said:

What exactly you wanna know? What are your interest with 3D? As I consider myself mostly a hobbyist I really don't see any restrictions. And if I am not wrong you can work and earn with the Indie license as long as you dont earn more than 100000$ per year, but you cannot work within a team with it, but I am not 100% sure about that.

We can definitely arrange it next week. Maybe once H19 is out we can gather together and I live stream while checking out new stuff and we talk about it as I go. 🙂

That would be great. Thanks! I wanted to see the exact terms, costs, and what happens when subscription is cancelled. I can't imagine you get to keep using it after cancelling as someone mentioned before. Never heard of a subscription like that. Also wanted to know if things produced with indie version can work in collaboration with those having full pro version, whatever thats called, if pro version can open indie created scenes and vice versa, etc. 

5 hours ago, 3D-Pangel said:

Yes....I know it is a subscription but something about paying $270/year rather than $720 a year (a $450 difference) for a fully featured best-in-breed industry standard just makes it...OK.  Funny how that works.

This is so absolutely true!  I’m actually thinking about trying, if the union doesn’t strike on Monday, hehe.

3 hours ago, Igor said:

Guys, I am serious here. If you are interested for real just let me know. 

I am seriously interested and I could not think of a better teacher.

-Dave

Sorry...but I simply do not have enough faith to be an atheist.

14 minutes ago, 3D-Pangel said:

I am seriously interested and I could not think of a better teacher.

-Dave

Well, thanks but I am still not Hrvoje, dont forget that. I am still far from that. He recorded 100 of hours. But Ill do my best to become as good as he is.

1 hour ago, connartist said:

I am actually going to start with the free version and see how it goes.  It does not feel as intimidating as I originally feared.  It actually feels like a fully matured, more powerful and better implemented version of R25 capsules.  I love how you can model in real time (just like any other 3D application) and the node tree is created as you work giving you a 100% non-destructive workflow. 

Procedural modeling aside, the interface is cleaner than Blender's which is also a welcome surprise.  So while I have been learning Blender, there is a part of me that says: "Why go through that transition when - with a little more effort to grasp the procedural nature of things - I could be learning an amazing program that leads the industry?".  The risk is the same (both free with Apprentice) and even should I become more comfortable, the cash outlay of $270/year is really minimal compared to the alternatives (hey -- X-Particles alone costs just as much).

I don't know...I never saw myself leaning into Houdini...ever.  But until Igor started posting his tutorials, I never really knew Houdini.  I just dismissed it as a high-end powerful package for seasoned professionals only.  For me to use it would be (to coin James Cameron) punching above my weight class. 

Lots to consider here.

I blame you Igor.🙂  No.  Just kidding.  Thank you for taking that first step for me!!!

Dave

Sorry...but I simply do not have enough faith to be an atheist.

2 hours ago, eikonoklastes said:

Indie files are not usable on the pro (FX) version. You can open files from FX in Indie, but not vice-versa.  You can't even copy nodes from Indie into FX. The FX session will downgrade to Indie if you attempt to do so.

Thanks. So, that's the same limitation as the free version. I wonder why then buy the indie version. 🤷‍♂️

5 minutes ago, MJV said:

Thanks. So, that's the same limitation as the free version. I wonder why then buy the indie version. 🤷‍♂️

In free version you cant render out images properly and you cant use 3rd party renders. And if I am not wrong, you cant really export any scene files. 

• Guest changed the title to Houdini 19 - Reveal

Copyright Core 4D © 2023 Powered by Invision Community