Houdini 19 - Reveal

Guest Igor

20 hours ago, 3D-Pangel said:

I would assume you mean that with the Indie license, there is no automatic renewal and you can continue to purchase Indie licenses year after year.  At first read, it almost sounds like you can ONLY get the indie license for 1 year afterward you need to upgrade to either FX or Core.  Ridiculous conclusion I know, but please humor me.    The Indie license details are as follows:

Note that you can use Indie on two computers (one artist -- or one activation at a time).  That is good!

Interesting that you cannot use Indie files in FX but can use FX files in Indie.  That does not make sense in that you would think that the motivation would be for you to upgrade to FX - so why not take your work with you from the Indie version when you upgrade.  That works to the advantage of the Indie user so please confirm as there was nothing I could find on this at the SideFX web-site.   

Also can anyone explain the difference between: 

.hiplc

.hipnc

.hdalc

.hdanc

You buy a new Indie license after the previous one expires, no limit to how many times you can re-up. Of course, if things take off, and you hopefully start rolling in it, you'll need to buy the FX license.

HIP files are Houdini project files. LC is Limited Commercial (Indie). NC is Non-Commercial (Apprentice).

HDA files are Houdini Digital Assets - what Capsules in C4D are aspiring to be. The main difference I guess is that HDAs can also be implemented in other apps via Houdini Engine.

I don't think SideFX is interested in users upgrading from Indie to FX. They understand that those serve very different markets. What they want to avoid is large studios offshoring their work to Indie users and still having access to the output, which is why the limitation exists in that direction.

Folks, we gonna have a small "Discord" party today for the Houdini Premiere which is at 18h. You can join PolyMarvels discord channel bellow in my signature. Once we gather there we could do intro to Houdini for anyone interested. :cowboypistol:

Does R25 still support Houdini Engine.  C4D is no longer listed on the Houdini Engine plugin page.  Was support for Houdini engine removed  as the implementation of nodes and capsules takes shape?

If so, that is short sighted (IMHO) as I think inter-operability between two platforms only increases user acceptance of both platforms. I also don't think R25 is going to be a "go to" application for those  who want the benefits that a procedural workflow gives you.  Learning Houdini while keeping C4D could have been a good strategy had Houdini engine for C4D still existed. Removing it does NOT change my desire to learn Houdini but it does change my desire to keep C4D.

Just another case where Maxon takes something away.

Dave

Sorry...but I simply do not have enough faith to be an atheist.

9 minutes ago, 3D-Pangel said:

Does R25 still support Houdini Engine.  C4D is no longer listed on the Houdini Engine plugin page.  Was support for Houdini engine removed  as the implementation of nodes and capsules takes shape?

If so, that is short sighted (IMHO) as I think inter-operability between two platforms only increases user acceptance of both platforms. I also don't think R25 is going to be a "go to" application for those  who want the benefits that a procedural workflow gives you.  Learning Houdini while keeping C4D could have been a good strategy had Houdini engine for C4D still existed. Removing it does NOT change my desire to learn Houdini but it does change my desire to keep C4D.

Just another case where Maxon takes something away.

Dave

If I am not wrong, HE was removed from R23 already.

Guest stoecklem

"Removing it does NOT change my desire to learn Houdini but it does change my desire to keep C4D"

I just saw that Maxon did indeed take this away on sidefx forum last night in R24.  This is too bad and exactly how I feel, but it seems like Maxon didn't implement and maintain it so they don't see value in it. I disagree and feel like having this and maintaining it would be a good use of resources but I guess not a lot of people used it.  I am reminded of one of Dave's first presentations when he was a talking about a great new era of collaboration and inter-application workflow. 

Houdini engine for Maxon was great, the problem it seems was Houdini updates don't get along with Maxon updates, sometimes is somewhat tricky to keep up with Houdini if you are using engine. In unreal gets trickier because sometime the latest Houdini update wont work.

At least I had a lot of trouble since I run Ross Voyager wich is a customized engine based on Unreal Engine, and depending of the update Houdini Bridge is either a hit or a miss.

Voyager - Virtual Production - Ross Video

As a side note, I wonder who in the forum works professionally and who freelances because I have seen a lot of complains about C4D not having indie and Houdini does, but I wonder if the people asking for indie are really eligible for indie.

2 hours ago, luchifer said:

As a side note, I wonder who in the forum works professionally and who freelances because I have seen a lot of complains about C4D not having indie and Houdini does, but I wonder if the people asking for indie are really eligible for indie.

I think it's mostly about hobbyists. I personally have a Houdini Indie license because Apprentice does not have the export functionality I want.

Visit my Portfolio on Artstation.com & Follow me on Instagram

1 hour ago, jackTheStorm said:

more possible. No sarcasm.

I'm learning c4d sdk to implement several things which missed

Good luck with that. 🙂

Now, we just finished watching H19 revelal...and wowzy, just wowzy. It was amazing 1h 45min presentation full of technical marvels. I recommend everyone to just watch it. :cowboypistol:

Okay....30 seconds into the launch reveal and here is one outstanding conclusion.

It is professionally done.  It is in crisp focus and with clear sound.  It is NOT a zoom call with the camera staring up the CEO's nose at some bizarre angle with muddled sound and frame rates that drop out.  It is shot on a professional stage that is professionally lit and NOT shot in someone's garage, kitchen or hotel room.

Amazing that Side Effects can afford this from the revenue of really only one core product and with Indie licensing to boot.

Glad to see that SideFX takes pride in their software and treats their users with respect by taking the time prepare a clear and enticing launch video.  When I watch a video such as this, one thing is clear:  They are working to "earn" your business.

You just don't get that same vibe from poorly produced and unprofessional launch videos as those we have seen in the recent past.

Dave

....do I need to be more clear about the contrast of this launch video and those we have seen in the past from "other" programs ?  If you haven't made the connection yet....think back to September.

Sorry...but I simply do not have enough faith to be an atheist.

1 hour ago, Igor said:

Good luck with that. 🙂

Now, we just finished watching H19 revelal...and wowzy, just wowzy. It was amazing 1h 45min presentation full of technical marvels. I recommend everyone to just watch it. :cowboypistol:

I wish I could have joined you all but got called to work. 😭

5 hours ago, luchifer said:

Houdini engine for Maxon was great, the problem it seems was Houdini updates don't get along with Maxon updates, sometimes is somewhat tricky to keep up with Houdini if you are using engine. In unreal gets trickier because sometime the latest Houdini update wont work.

At least I had a lot of trouble since I run Ross Voyager wich is a customized engine based on Unreal Engine, and depending of the update Houdini Bridge is either a hit or a miss.

Voyager - Virtual Production - Ross Video

Ir must not have seemed worthwhile to Maxon to keep it up. I can't imagine there was a lot of demand for it and I believe those who opine it was complicated to maintain with Cinema undergoing so many changes so often. Maxon is probably trying to stay as lean as possible to get through the coming years until the transition is finished. That said, it does seem like it wasn't good timing with so many Cinema users now eyeing Houdini as either a supplement to Cinema or at least something to tide them over until Cinema 2.0 is finished.

• Guest changed the title to Houdini 19 - Reveal

Copyright Core 4D © 2023 Powered by Invision Community