Efficient way of co-rendering light pass and flat-colour SnT pass?

Hi there, 

I no C4d expert, and can't get my head around something:

My project is stylised in a certain way where I need to render a flat-colour Sketch and Toon export using only luminance channels on all materials. This is effectively a line-drawing layer. But then I need to render a volumetric torch-light which points out various bits on the SnT model, with light bouncing off the object to make light and shadow areas, like you would in a colour channel (as opposed to luminance. I've attached an example frame.

Currently I'm rendering the SnT layer, then changing loads of settings, re-texturing everything with ONLY a colour channel, and rendering without SnT, and combining these in After Effects using a blending mode. 

I can't believe this is the most efficient method, and all the fiddling between renders inevitably introduces errors! I'm having to do this on loads of models and getting lots of little changes that end up in lots of (pairs of!) renders - please help!

Thanks in advance!

S

Light on flat colour.jpg

Edited by Cerbera
Moved to correct section. (see edit history)

You should be using the Takes system!

Open it from menu bar: Window > Take Manager

It allows you to use the same scene, but with different tag settings, cameras, textures, render settings, etc.

It can take some getting used to. Meaning you might switch settings on the wrong take by accident a few times before you 'get it'. The issue is having to use the Auto Take function when changing things. When it is ON, whatever changes you make will be saved to the active Take. Problem comes when you forget to turn it OFF after you have set what you want, then activate another Take and keep working, all the while it is saving those changes!

So, try to remember to turn on Auto Take only when you are ready to make the changes. Then turn it OFF immediately. 

Note that you can neither add nor re-order tags (like materials) with Takes (well maybe you can in newer versions..R18/19 here). At least in R18/19, you either drop a material on existing tag with correct Take active and Auto Take ON, or create a duplicate object with different material, then use Takes to show/hide per Take.

Also, Takes does not track PSR changes. That's where the duplicate method comes in again.

Example:

Using Takes to make a Night render.

1582187933_TakesSample2.jpg.aecf42ed25482459ae98547918225f5d.jpg

On 10/15/2021 at 9:17 PM, Vizn said:

Note that you can neither add nor re-order tags (like materials) with Takes (well maybe you can in newer versions..R18/19 here)

Vizn mentioned that you cannot add tags, hence you duplicate the whole object so you have two versions and show and hide the whole object as needed in each take.

Dec