C4D in the Apple event

BoganTW

Everyone has presumably seen this already but I thought it was worth noting. C4D was featured heavily in the Apple presentation today, getting a couple of shout-outs, having Philip Losch appear on camera, and presenting a couple of cool animations that were evidently made for the show. They mention how C4D and Redshift are three or four times faster on the new MBP's. The presentation was effective enough to convince me to buy the iMac that features the nearly year-old bog-standard M1 chip, because by the time I learn enough to outgrow it, there will probably be an M2 series (at the very least) already on the market, and I'd rather spend the savings on a let your hair down trip to Bangkok and SE Asia or something.

But I'm impressed how Apple and Maxon seem to be good buddies these days and when I picture how a Maxon One sub will look on one of those colourful iMacs in the near future I'm happy. 

Just now, BoganTW said:

It is a lot of money.

The 'woooo! I have a Mac and I like it!' feeling usually comes some months later.

I had Mac at Maxon, but Maxon paid for it 3000 euros and it really didn't worked well at all, which for the price was disappointing. For anything bit more serious it would overheat, I literally had to put big fans around it to cool it off to make it work to some extent. So lets see how these works before jump on the hype train. Ill be watching YT reviews closely. 

43 minutes ago, Igor said:

it really didn't worked well at all, which for the price was disappointing. For anything bit more serious it would overheat, I literally had to put big fans around it to cool it off to make it work to some extent.

Color me surprised. Granted, I didn't consider a Mac in many years, but I remember that one selling point was the hardware design which was said to be so much better than bog standard PC assemblies. Including the cooling. People were practically swooning over their cheese graters back in the day.

Has quality deteriorated so much in the past years?

2 minutes ago, Cairyn said:

Color me surprised. Granted, I didn't consider a Mac in many years, but I remember that one selling point was the hardware design which was said to be so much better than bog standard PC assemblies. Including the cooling. People were practically swooning over their cheese graters back in the day.

To be fair, it was not M1 technology, so lets see how are actual things with those M1's. I am counting on Linus to tell us as it is.

I gotta say, this is the first time I get excited about a machine in many years. If it does what I think it does, being able to handle 3D projects, rendering, etc... fast, it will be a game changer for sure. 
One good think about apple laptops is that they last.. a long time! 
They are extremely expensive, but if you manage to work with 3D, and get 2-3 nice projects, or 10 smaller budget projects, the laptop will pay itself.
And you get to have a nice machine for at least 5 years. My macbook is here with me, working nicely (well, speakers started to have some weird problems) since 2013. 

I will wait and see though.
A friend of mine already does bit of modelling work in a very small macbook pro m1, and he says he is super happy with how fast the machine is, and this new m1 pro being 70% faster from what it was already a good speed. Impresses me. Specially the portability of it.

2 hours ago, Cairyn said:

No, the quality was usually no issue and in general above comparable PC systems. However Apple lost focus on Pro users with serious computing demands for a while. The Trashcan MacPro was just that, not a really professional workstation. Every machine in tha last decades was technically well designed, but did not neccesarily match the demand and the Trashcan was a shortsighted mistake. The new MacPro, and likely future M based MacPros, show that Apple still wants to cater to high end users, albeit with a price tag that makes my eyes water.

39 minutes ago, srek said:

No, the quality was usually no issue and in general above comparable PC systems. However Apple lost focus on Pro users with serious computing demands for a while. The Trashcan MacPro was just that, not a really professional workstation. Every machine in tha last decades was technically well designed, but did not neccesarily match the demand and the Trashcan was a shortsighted mistake. The new MacPro, and likely future M based MacPros, show that Apple still wants to cater to high end users, albeit with a price tag that makes my eyes water.

Not only the pricetag, but also usually almost zero repairability / upgradeability, especially in their laptops.

Not saying other manufacturers are much better but... some are. And cheaper.

Especially if you follow Louis Rossmann a little you'll see that there have been some design issues in the systems for many years now and I've heard from tons of overheating issues with some of their devices. Not in usual workflow but the moment you start rendering something the cooling systems just get overwhelmed.

Visit my Portfolio on Artstation.com & Follow me on Instagram

13 minutes ago, DasFrodo said:

Not only the pricetag, but also usually almost zero repairability / upgradeability, especially in their laptops.

Not saying other manufacturers are much better but... some are. And cheaper.

Especially if you follow Louis Rossmann a little you'll see that there have been some design issues in the systems for many years now and I've heard from tons of overheating issues with some of their devices. Not in usual workflow but the moment you start rendering something the cooling systems just get overwhelmed.

I can definitely confirm this, unfortunately Apple treating their customers very poorly overcharging most simple repairs and those design flaws are there for a reason. Apple also making repairs harder and harder with each iteration, so usually you need to buy new Mac instead of just simply repair it in case something goes wrong.

• Guest featured this topic
  • Guest unfeatured this topic

Copyright Core 4D © 2023 Powered by Invision Community