C4D in the Apple event

BoganTW

On 10/19/2021 at 7:50 AM, teknow said:

If you are worried about price just hang out for the Mac mini M1 Max with 32 cores and 64 Gb RAM like I am going to. I jump for joy over my Mac mini M1 16 Gb  RAM with C4D R25.010 and RS 3.057. I have forgotten what a crash Is like. I will switch from still images and back to animations when my render speeds will be off the charts. Currently all of my Adobe Creative Suite is rock solid and most are now M chip native. 

I am NOT going to buy a gorgeous MBP because I have no need for portability. I had no idea I had this much internal strength.

In the meantime I will be reading feedback reports from those lucky souls who have their M1 Max.

(For the record, my current machine was dirt cheap)

The rumor mills suggest that the Mini will have similar (or identical) CPU/GPU options as the new MacBook Pros. Not more/less.

If someone wants a Mac Mini with the M1 Max, the 32 GPU cores, 1TB high-speed storage and 64 GB of RAM...probably going to run $3,000 USD.

That's not horrible, but it won't be upgradeable, and it won't have GPU power of a Nvidia 3080. It will be interesting to see how the CPU compares to a $800 AMD offering.

ordered a 16“ mbp on tuesday, the beefiest one, only thing i didn‘t max out was the ssd. never looked forward so much to a new laptop. 

i agree, quality standards were once higher at apple, but overall i‘m still happy, never had any major issue with any of my macs in 20+ years.  

@srekon the trashcan i disagree a bit. while the general design in terms of modularity / upgradability was a mistake, apart from that it was a good machine. still using mine from 2014 as my main desktop machine, it handles large psd files very well, and isn‘t holding up that bad overall considering it’s almost 8 years old. it’s freakishly silent even under heavy load, and didn‘t give me any trouble ever. it’s a workhorse, just not one you can upgrade properly. 

still, in retrospect i don‘t regret getting it, i‘m just glad i did not get a intel new mac pro last year, now that the arm chips have proven to be the hottest shit.

1 hour ago, everfresh said:

ordered a 16“ mbp on tuesday, the beefiest one, only thing i didn‘t max out was the ssd. never looked forward so much to a new laptop. 

i agree, quality standards were once higher at apple, but overall i‘m still happy, never had any major issue with any of my macs in 20+ years.  

@srekon the trashcan i disagree a bit. while the general design in terms of modularity / upgradability was a mistake, apart from that it was a good machine. still using mine from 2014 as my main desktop machine, it handles large psd files very well, and isn‘t holding up that bad overall considering it’s almost 8 years old. it’s freakishly silent even under heavy load, and didn‘t give me any trouble ever. it’s a workhorse, just not one you can upgrade properly. 

still, in retrospect i don‘t regret getting it, i‘m just glad i did not get a intel new mac pro last year, now that the arm chips have proven to be the hottest shit.

The main problem of the trashcan is it's reliance on non standard components, namely the GPU modules. With a workstation class system you expect to be able to expand the capabilities according to needs, with the trashcan you couldn't. The thermal design of that thing was indeed very good though.

To no one's surprise, C4d folks are again working predictable deceitful marketing tricks.

Maxon marketing meeting: "Hey let's play this game:

The new M1 Apple Macs (might) rock, so on Apple's coat tails maybe we can convince some sucker that C4d is modern and cool.

Silly, deceitful and lame. 50x more Blender users will be beneficiary of the new Macs.

The new Macs will be highly tuned for Blender. Apple is giving big money and volunteering engineers to Blender...not to Maxon.

On 10/21/2021 at 3:39 AM, everfresh said:

I'm sorry for your purchase.    With regards to trashcans, we have dozens of them and most have had cooling issues as well as frequent crashes and glitching.     We've had a few die from thermal issues.  SO much so we needed to install Macs Fan Control and move the trashcans in a place where they would get optimal air flow.    Those were the biggest pieces of shit we've ever used.   We looked at the cheese graters but can't use them because Apple refuses to work with studios and enterprise customers whose systems aren't directly connected to the internet.   This makes it so we cannot patch or update our workstations through offline means.   Their T1 chips require a connection to Apple's servers.   Luckily we've moved on to PC workstations which should get installed within the next month.   

6 minutes ago, johanal said:

I'm sorry for your purchase.    With regards to trashcans, we have dozens of them and most have had cooling issues as well as frequent crashes and glitching.     We've had a few die from thermal issues.  SO much so we needed to install Macs Fan Control and move the trashcans in a place where they would get optimal air flow.    Those were the biggest pieces of shit we've ever used.   We looked at the cheese graters but can't use them because Apple refuses to work with studios and enterprise customers whose systems aren't directly connected to the internet.   This makes it so we cannot patch or update our workstations through offline means.   Their T1 chips require a connection to Apple's servers.   Luckily we've moved on to PC workstations which should get installed within the next month.   

Interesting to read, we have used Trashcans from the beginning for pretty stressfuls stuff likely rendering tests and compiling OS X builds. It might be due to them being in a controlled environment, but there were basically no cooling issues. We also used them as Developer systems in less controlled environments, again without any major issues. It seems then they are more sensitive to the environment than i expected. I'm quite happy to be rid of them anyway.

I was such a huge fan boy, but when the trashcans came out, I knew

1 hour ago, johanal said:

I'm sorry for your purchase.    With regards to trashcans...

100%. I feel incredibly sympathy for anyone who bought those trashcans...or the $12,000 Mac "Pros" that followed.

Anyone defending either of those Mac Pros has flawed judgment. Those machines are out-of-date, with no upgradeability one year after purchase.

If one does choose to go the new M1 Mac, which has more promise, massive Apple investment in the Blender Foundation has been assured. M1 will be tuned for Blender, so that's the good news.

The M1 Mac is a Blender Mac, IMO. Pair the most forward thinking processor with the most modern 3d package. Just my opinion. Apple seems to agree with my view with their recent investments.

say what you want about my "flawed judgement" (whatever that might mean), all i can say for sure it that the trashcan served me well, so i'm not sorry at all for my purchase. it's in its 8th year of being under heavy load more or less 24/7 with 0 issues.

i'm sorry for anyone who had different experiences, but in my reality the machine served me well, i don't see anything flawed with that.

i would be sorry if i bought a new mac pro last year though. 

The new M1 Apple Macs (might) rock, so on Apple's coat tails maybe we can convince some sucker that C4d is modern and cool.

Silly, deceitful and lame. 50x more Blender users will be beneficiary of the new Macs.

I thought the segment was more designed to suggest C4D will run faster than before on the new hardware, than it did on the old. I'm assuming this is true, unless anyone wants to argue that it will run slower.

Blender users will benefit from the new Macs. C4D users that get the new hardware will also benefit. I dunno if Maxon arguing this that this is the case is silly, or deceitful, or lame. Possibly it would have been more silly if Maxon had taken out a big ad telling people to go use Blender instead, which almost seems to be what you're arguing here. It would be logical for the Blender Foundation to make this statement, maybe less so for Maxon to bother doing it.

I do not see how C4D running nicely on the new Macs, and Apple and Maxon celebrating this, is somehow a bad thing. C4D was first 3D app out of the gate to be optimised for M1, and they didn't need a grant from Apple to get there or stay there. To keep things agreeable I'll note ICM is right and if Blender is optimised nicely for these new machines, it will be a really good thing for Blender users. And I think the optimisation is more of a done deal now that Apple is stepping in - I recall months after an earlier Blender announcement circa the M1 launch a thread or two posted at Blender Artists were noting, has that M1 code been installed into the software yet, oh I thought Fred was going to do it, maybe Bill can do it when he gets a chance, or else we can wait a while, it'll get done soon I think, surely they won't leave it for a long while without finishing the task, guys? etc etc. Somehow I don't think the Maxon guys at Friedrichsdorf run things in quite the same manner, which might be why Apple thought Blender could use some extra cash and a pat on the head to help them along with the task, while Maxon was already there a year ago - which might also explain why Maxon and C4D have been invited onboard Apple presentations the past year or so. The suggestions that this is all a slick advertising move implies that Nemetschek put their hands deep into their pockets to grab pride of place in Apple's global keynote, and tbh I wasn't aware that Apple was that strapped for that they were putting sections of their keynote up for sale. But if Apple thinks Blender is the future of 3D this will be borne out if they tout Blender to the same degree in future presentations - something they haven't felt the urge to do up till now.

5 hours ago, BoganTW said:

Somehow I don't think the Maxon guys at Friedrichsdorf run things in quite the same manner, which might be why Apple thought Blender could use some extra cash and a pat on the head to help them along with the task, while Maxon was already there a year ago - which might also explain why Maxon and C4D have been invited onboard Apple presentations the past year or so. The suggestions that this is all a slick advertising move implies that Nemetschek put their hands deep into their pockets to grab pride of place in Apple's global keynote, and tbh I wasn't aware that Apple was that strapped for that they were putting sections of their keynote up for sale. But if Apple thinks Blender is the future of 3D this will be borne out if they tout Blender to the same degree in future presentations - something they haven't felt the urge to do up till now.

Maxon works closely with Apple on  all new technology. Be it new hardware, changes like the 64 Bit move or Metal, new OS versions, you name it. You can see that right back to G4/G5 times. I wasn't around earlier so i have no idea what went on before. Maxon and Cinema 4D have been part of so many Apple presentations over time, i have lost track. Since we are often one of, if not the first, app to support some new tech there is no need to pull any marketing stunts, it's mostly our devs that are featured anyway, Like Philip now, or Cathleen before him.
Apple supporting the transition of Blender from Intel to M1 makes a lot of sense for Apple, they do not want to be left out there just because ressources aren't available and the actual monetary and engineering effort for Apple is minimal. I would not start guessing if this is the start for some larger cooperation or just a stepping stone for things to get moving, at this time it is simply a leg up and i am quite happy to see Apple supporting Open Source Software. The self interest of Apple might be related to Blender often being used in academia for early test implementations of CGI algos, losing that due to the hardware change would be a a bit of a blow to the use of Apple systems in research. All in all a good investment either way.

• Guest unfeatured this topic