C4D in the Apple event

BoganTW

3 hours ago, Icecaveman said:

Perhaps you know this already, but After Effects, unfortunately, is notoriously slow on all hardware. Only about 2% of the code that counts is GPU accelerated, and they've failed for over a decade in getting AE to leverage multiple CPU cores. So you might have a 16 core, 32 thread CPU and 80% of that power will just sitting idle when you do an AE render. That's been the situation.

AE2021 is supposedly bringing multi-threaded CPU rendering back. (they had it for awhile years back)

Its specifically the timeline performance. If you have it any bigger than say 1/4 of the screen real estate it lags heavily (moving playhead, marquee selecting keyframes etc). I've seen other people complaining about the high ppi performance on their Windows machines, too. I get no such problem running high ppi with the timeline as big as I want on my iMac.  It's very weird. 

2 hours ago, Chris Phillips said:

Its specifically the timeline performance. If you have it any bigger than say 1/4 of the screen real estate it lags heavily (moving playhead, marquee selecting keyframes etc). I've seen other people complaining about the high ppi performance on their Windows machines, too. I get no such problem running high ppi with the timeline as big as I want on my iMac.  It's very weird. 

I suggest posting your experience at https://creativecow.net 

Their AE subforum isn't what it was historically, but is still pretty strong, a good mix of old pros and smart young wizards. Good mix of Mac and PC users.

My hunch is that your machine may be down-throttling due to thermal issues, which have become the curse of modern laptops, Mac and PC. With higher pixel density, and multi-displays you have far higher demand on the GPU, which inherently throws that heat onto the CPU, storage and other components.

Me? I would *never ever ever* choose a laptop for professional 3d, AE work, simulations, etc. And I'd extend the consideration to tight enclosures like the iMac. I buy large cases with big air flow, future upgradeability and repair, easy cooling.

Professional thinking = Massive Speed, little fuss, easy repair and the ability to keep your tools at a premium level. This is the thinking at NASA, good car mechanic shops, TESLA and with all engineers or savvy tech-minded people. Don't be seduced by marketing or lust or short-term thinking. Choose the pro path, always.

• Guest unfeatured this topic
18 hours ago, Chris Phillips said:

I haven't seen that problem on my two Windows machines (multiple 4k displays), but absolutely don't doubt/question your issue. Hope you can track down the cause and resolve. Cheers.

On 11/5/2021 at 5:32 PM, Icecaveman said:

I suggest posting your experience at https://creativecow.net 

Their AE subforum isn't what it was historically, but is still pretty strong, a good mix of old pros and smart young wizards. Good mix of Mac and PC users.

My hunch is that your machine may be down-throttling due to thermal issues, which have become the curse of modern laptops, Mac and PC. With higher pixel density, and multi-displays you have far higher demand on the GPU, which inherently throws that heat onto the CPU, storage and other components.

Me? I would *never ever ever* choose a laptop for professional 3d, AE work, simulations, etc. And I'd extend the consideration to tight enclosures like the iMac. I buy large cases with big air flow, future upgradeability and repair, easy cooling.

Professional thinking = Massive Speed, little fuss, easy repair and the ability to keep your tools at a premium level. This is the thinking at NASA, good car mechanic shops, TESLA and with all engineers or savvy tech-minded people. Don't be seduced by marketing or lust or short-term thinking. Choose the pro path, always.

Yeh at the time I bought the laptop as I was going to be using it between a shared work office and home office, but in hindsight I regret my choice. The iMac runs AE extremely well and its from 2017. I think Adobe programs are generally ptimised better for macOS (not all of them though)

I still spend the majority of scene building time using the 2017 iMac on my desk. Its just a more pleasant and hassle free working environment. 

The scene gets copied over onto my Threadripper workstation when it's time to start the serious test renders.

Interestingly - for my purposes CPU rendering is still king with Corona. I toyed with switching to GPU renderinging with Octane, but found thet the alledged speed benefit just wasn't there (using a 2070 super - I'm making hi-res stills mainly). And the integration with cinema and workflow wasn't as good either.

• 2 weeks later...

got my maxed out new MBP today, first impression: f*ck me, that thing is fast. i get more than double the vp performance in c4d compared to my maxed out 2016 mbp. 3-4 characters at realtime? no problem. my wettest dreams became true. 🙂 after the first tests redshift runs faster than on my setup from 2 years back with a 1080ti in an egpu. logic seems to be super snappy as well, the only thing still kinda crawling is AE, i mean it is a bit faster, but not significantly. but let's be real, has anyone expected anything different?

1 hour ago, everfresh said:

got my maxed out new MBP today, first impression: f*ck me, that thing is fast. i get more than double the vp performance in c4d compared to my maxed out 2016 mbp. 3-4 characters at realtime? no problem. my wettest dreams became true. 🙂 after the first tests redshift runs faster than on my setup from 2 years back with a 1080ti in an egpu. logic seems to be super snappy as well, the only thing still kinda crawling is AE, i mean it is a bit faster, but not significantly. but let's be real, has anyone expected anything different?

I mean, AE JUST reintroduced multiframe rendering after like what, 10 years since they removed it?

I don't think AE is good at benchmarking anything but single core performance 😄

Visit my Portfolio on Artstation.com & Follow me on Instagram

There was a School of Motion video with AE tech folk (plus Ryan Summers) posted a month or something ago, just talking about the AE updating/core rewrite/tech improvements or whatever AE is doing. But I haven't brought myself to watch it, would rather just wait and see if they actually deliver rather than hearing promises of what's coming. Cue C4D joke!

Copyright Core 4D © 2023 Powered by Invision Community