Normals artefacts

Go to solution Solved by Cerbera,

Hi! I've encountered a problem with normals on one imported model. It has like "glued polygons" which causes some artefacts. I tried applying normals, reverting them, connecting and welding, but nothing helps. Also i tried to set normals manually but it doesn't look good no matter what I do. Deleting all the tags including phong doesn't do anything as well... Is there a way to fix it or it's just what model is like?

Capture3.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Capture1.PNG

• Solution

Oh dear - that is some hideous topology right there ! 🙂

If we separate out the objects we can see what is going on...

image.png.8425058d611ddbdb2d0534a809649385.png

In the above the top and bottom meshes are fine (not great models, but not technically in an error state). We can sort the tongue by untriangulating it, and its Normals are fine.  Likewise the grey thing above that, presumably teeth - no issues there.

But the mesh in the middle is really like a perfect lesson in how not to model, and needs to go in the bin - it is in an error state, its Normals cannot be resolved because of multiple non-manifold edges, and it is not rescuable without deleting nearly all of its polys. As there is nothing about it worth preserving - I very much suggest you model this part again from scratch.

CBR

1 hour ago, Cerbera said:

Oh dear - that is some hideous topology right there ! 🙂

If we separate out the objects we can see what is going on...

image.png.8425058d611ddbdb2d0534a809649385.png

In the above the top and bottom meshes are fine (not great models, but not technically in an error state). We can sort the tongue by untriangulating it, and its Normals are fine.  Likewise the grey thing above that, presumably teeth - no issues there.

But the mesh in the middle is really like a perfect lesson in how not to model, and needs to go in the bin - it is in an error state, its Normals cannot be resolved because of multiple non-manifold edges, and it is not rescuable without deleting nearly all of its polys. As there is nothing about it worth preserving - I very much suggest you model this part again from scratch.

CBR

I got you, SEGA sucks at modelling, and I agree lol

Okay, will try to remodel it as much as i can, thank you xD