Upgraded from R19 to R22 and my Xpressions broke. Easy way to solve?

BLSmith
Go to solution Solved by bezo,

Hi there. I recently upgraded from R19 to R22, and my expression broke. I am so stressed out because to make it work the first time took over a month of asking online for help and I don't know how to solve it. Is there some sort of Xpresso converter or something that makes it easy? Lol I imagine not. I am so stupid with this stuff I just don't know what to do at this point, I imagine I'll have to start over and spend a month trying to learn this again. 

Hi Bezo. Interesting, but yes if I open the same project in R19 and then in R22, it works in R19 but not in R22. Looking at the Xpresso there are no undefined ports. Going into search looking for this "coffee code" I do not see any results. I apologize for my ignorance on this subject. 

It´s standard xpresso node/operator (Xpresso/Script/Coffee node) and it´s content (few lines of code) you could see in AM. Could have "C.O.F.F.E.E" name in case user didn´t change the name like in this example named  "Lenght String" from presets)

coffee_example.png.49ff48f30a075f7f446b3c7d92b44197.png

Since R20 (if remember correctly) coffee language was completely removed from c4d, so not supported in versions above and need to be replaced with python script nodes (or other nodes if posible)

Yeah it's looking like this is gunna be a little more difficult. I'll load up R19 at work tomorrow, strip down the animation to its core components, load it up both in R19 and R22 and make a 60 second video going through the differences to see if its a super simple fix. I bet it is lol. 

I'd say an uploaded scene would be more beneficial than any video. You could strip it down to just objects with Xpresso tags, if needed for size or legal reasons.

And on Maxon Labs they had a plugin, which was able to scan your scene for C.O.F.F.E.E. usage. But it looks like Maxon Labs is gone (as announced before) and some of its content went into Cineversity. Yet, this is not true for all content and especially I did not see the plugin I'm talking about here. But I may be blind or it may be a matter of time. I don't know, neither if you had access to those plugins in Cineversity.

To our community: Please, lets not make this thread into another "Maxon is evil" thread. It's not needed, the topic has been discussed in all detail in all appropriate and non appropriate context, there's little chance of new insights by repeating over and over again.

I've stripped it down as much as possible. Here is the file (7MB): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wR7K1lIDqjIn0eNZgIszhkISgx_bkect/view?usp=sharing

Sorry for any error messages that pop up, I don't know how to make them go away even after removing the objects using those plugins. It's not that complex, but I have a hard time understanding it as it's been over a year since I've touched Xpresso.

I've made a short 30s video of what we should see (left) vs. what I see (right). The valves should be moving independent of each other but they don't. 

Both of these are the exact same file save. 

• Solution

Hi Brandon,

Just play with your scene and looks like could be something differently recognized inside xpresso. Looks like Range mapper node maybe behaves differently when loaded from older c4d version...

When searching from source of motion and up looks like problem is in rods motion which is driven by camshaft rotation. In xpresso for camshaft are 2 range mappers which behave differently in R19 and R25 (don´t have R22 installed, I was check scene file in R25). While in R19 modulo option doesn´t effect in animation, enabling modulo option for both range mapper nodes solve rods movement and rest linked animations/animated objects. Question is why it´s behave differently in R19 and R22 (R25).

Here is short animation...

xpresso_issue.thumb.gif.42407ba9d93dacfc0ddb48fb7775d871.gif

WOW this did it! Thank you SO MUCH @bezo! You are an absolute life saver!! Thanks!!! 🙂

Small aside: Did you get a "Magic Bullet" error when opening this project? I'd love to remove that from popping up every time as I don't recall using that for this project but I don't know how to get the error message to go away. 

You´re welcome...

About Magic Bullet issue. If scene file was created/edited or resaved in c4d version with Magic Bullet Look(MBL) and you´ll open in version without integrated MBL, you´ll always get this error. For example if you work in R19 which don´t have MBL, you´ll always get this error until you remove MBL from render options and resave scene in R19 again...

delete_effect.png.22b635c22f24a94b1cb60c930f9cb7f8.png

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.