While looking for new laptop...

HappyPolygon

I got a Lenovo Legion 5 17 for 1100 euro  which is their gaming line. 5800H RTX3060(130w TDP and MUX) 16Gb RAM

RTX is essential for Blender and Unreal, you should check the GPU TDP it is very important because many laptops around cripple the power available for GPU. 

Go to notebookcheck.net (check here also the maximum GPU TDP)   and ultrabook.com for reviews.

I would say the sweet spot is 32Gb RAM and a non crippled 3070. Make sure your screen is at least 72% NTSC/100% sRGB.

Edit: forget about any RTX named card other than 3060, 3070, 3080.  

Edit2: i made a mistake , the link is not ultrabook.com but

https://www.ultrabookreview.com

Hi, I recently also dig into laptops for work (but more visualization reserach, not daily CGI work). I would go with an RTX 3070 or 3080. As Pinin said have a good look at the TGP! I would advise against anything below 130w. And with an RTX 3080 you have to look for the 16GB version, not 8GB. That said, get a 165W RTX 3080 with 16GB if possible. I have an XMG Neo 15 with such a GPU - it is pretty good 😉 In other parts of the world this would be Eluktronics or similar....

An RTX 3070 with a higher TGP might be faster then an 3080 with lower TGP, but the larger VRAM might be important depending on your work...

Regarding the pro cards that are often in pro Laptops: If you want to go for something like this, than make sure it is an NVIDIA RTX A4000 - RTX A6000. The naming scheme is pretty bad and the last generation cards are named very similar (RTX 4000.... without the 'A'). Best ignore cards with names like 'NVIDIA T1200'. That said, I do not think it makes sense to go with any of these cards, they are much more are expensive then the gaming variants, and quite often, they use a very low TGP and the vendors hide that pretty well, at least HP with its zBook series. With the desktop you would still have the advantage of much more VRAM with the pro-cards, but that is not the case for the laptop. At least I do not think there is an AX000 mobile card with more than 16GB, but there is the previous gen RTX 6000 with 24GB.

That said, the drivers are said to be better for the pro cards compared to gaming cards. But: you get the same driver features in the studio variants, which are often in "content creator" laptops.

In addition to my XMG we just ordered an Gigabyte Aero 15, should arrive soon. I am curious how it perfroms, but the TGP is only mediocre here (we choose it because of its mini-DisplayPort, it seems there are no high-powered-GPU laptops with mini-DisplayPort).

Oh, and then there is the RTX 3080 Ti for Laptops on the horizon: https://www.notebookcheck.com/Leak-Die-Nvidia-GeForce-RTX-3080-Ti-Laptop-GPU-mit-7-424-CUDA-Kernen-zeigt-sich-mit-dem-Core-i7-12700H.577928.0.html (sorry only hav ethis german link)

List of RTX 3080 laptops: https://www.notebookcheck.net/Comprehensive-list-of-all-laptops-featuring-the-NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX-3080-Laptop-GPU-along-with-corresponding-TGPs.517977.0.html

Let us know what you chose. Good luck with price & delivery 😉

• Customer
2 hours ago, christianS said:

I have an XMG Neo 15 with such a GPU

Most good laptops i've encountered out there with the suggested RTX 3060, 3070, 3080 have 15,4"/15,6" display. My current 2015 480€ GeForce GT 720M Lenovo Thinkpad has a 17.3" display. I get the impression that once a 15.6" laptop drops into my hands will seem very small. But any search for a laptop with a 17" display returns a very spicy 1200+ price for me even with RTX 2060.

Does the 15.6" feel adequate for C4D ? It makes me wonder why so many gaming laptops have 15.6" displays but if that is the reason why prices sky rocket so fast it makes sense. 

What really bothers me is that vendors don't provide anymore good laptops with HDD. Those 256/512 SSDs seem to me mediocre compared to the 1T HDDs we used to have. Yes, the speed is notably faster but hey, there was always some waiting time in computers and with the same money you can afford an HDD with double the capacity. I guess gamers don't care about where their 3 x80GB games will fit and are more concerned about loading times.

So I came to realize that what really makes a good laptop unaffordable for me is not the GPU itself but the SSD+17" disp +VAT.
I guess I'll have to wait for Black Friday discounts ...

I wonder if GPU prices are related to all the fuss about not producing enough microchips...

• Customer
On 11/6/2021 at 11:41 AM, Pinin said:

Edit: forget about any RTX named card other than 3060, 3070, 3080.  

Why ? Are they not good value for money or does the RTX not perform as expected ?

On 11/6/2021 at 9:37 AM, Icecaveman said:

If you plan to render with Redshift or Octane in c4d or w/Blender...you really want a Nvidia card w/RTX.

I thought RTX was just for better gaming experience. NVIDIA featured RTX only for their real-time reflections and nothing else. RS and Octane as far as I know are raytracing renderers...

33 minutes ago, HappyPolygon said:

Why ? Are they not good value for money or does the RTX not perform as expected ?

I guess Icecavaman relates to the pro GPUs (used to be named Quadro). And I agree that thes don't make too much sense on a laptop.

33 minutes ago, HappyPolygon said:

I thought RTX was just for better gaming experience. NVIDIA featured RTX only for their real-time reflections and nothing else. RS and Octane as far as I know are raytracing renderers...

RT cores are for raytracing, and this can be used outside of games as well, at least if you go with a renderer that is not CPU-only. Many of the current DCC rendering engines (Cycles...) use Optix for rendering, which utilizes the RT cores in RTX GPUs. 

1 hour ago, HappyPolygon said:

What do you think the RT in RTX stands for?

RTX varies a lot scene to scene depending how much glass, metal, fog etc is used, but it probably averages out to a good 30% speed boost in octane. Some scenes it will get you 10%, others it will half render times.

Don't forget that for GPU render engines, the clock speed of the CPU and the number of PCIe lanes between the CPU, GPU and the drives are all equally important (eg. you want a fast and wide highway to move data to and from the GPU).  I am not that familiar with what is possible with graphics laptops as power consumption and heat dissipation work against fast processing power for the GPU and CPU -- so I would imagine that there are some careful tradeoffs that need to be made.

Dave

Sorry...but I simply do not have enough faith to be an atheist.

• Customer
2 hours ago, imashination said:

What do you think the RT in RTX stands for?

To be honest, I just gave up with all those initials in Nvidia's models years ago. I thought it was a model series not a feature.

I thought RTX standed for Real Time eXperience...

It is a model series, but for once the model number actually stands for something significant. There used to be GT, GTX and other meaningless models names, but now the RTX cards have Ray Tracing sections on the chip.

Re: pcie lanes, dont worry about it too much. With gen 3, x16 and x8 have a couple percent difference in speed, it only really drops off once you reach x4 speeds.

With pcie gen 4, you move everything up a notch. So 16 or 8 lanes of gen 4 makes virtually no difference. Going from 8 to 4 lanes gives a couple of percent drop, then down to 2 or 1 lane you start to notice a real difference. 

Copyright Core 4D © 2023 Powered by Invision Community