Black Friday Deals 2021

keppn

I'm tempted, too. But when looking at tutorials, it seems just like another grave to bury fiddling-time 😄
Also, Explosia is of course far worse performance-wise, but it's so neatly integrated with the rest of x-particles. 
I just hope, Insydium gets their GPU-support up and running sometime... ( I think it was promised to the end of 2020, wasn't it?)

1 hour ago, keppn said:

I'm tempted, too. But when looking at tutorials, it seems just like another grave to bury fiddling-time 😄
Also, Explosia is of course far worse performance-wise, but it's so neatly integrated with the rest of x-particles. 
I just hope, Insydium gets their GPU-support up and running sometime... ( I think it was promised to the end of 2020, wasn't it?)

Agreed.  

And in case Insydium did not need any more motivation, there is Reactions (TFD V2) in beta which is also GPU based (though not sure real time like Embergen).  The big detractor to Embergen is that it is standalone which means importing cameras and objects and exporting VDB channels for rendering in Octane in the host DCC application.  That is a bit cumbersome....kind of like working with Lightwave's modeler program and having to always jump back and forth between it and the layout program.  In short, bi-modal workflows are not always the most efficient.

If Insydium was GPU based and totally integrated with Redshift, then that would be huge for C4D.  Honestly, Maxon should buy Insydium and then unleash the Redshift GPU programming wizards on XP to speed up the development of a GPU version.  Having a native GPU based multi-physics fluid/cloth/grains/smoke/fire/dynamic particle system within C4D capable of scaling to massive particle counts plugs a huge number of holes in C4D's toolset.  It not only strengthens C4D but kills any desire for anyone to consider working with Embergen.  And considering that Embergen requires Octane, removing the need to use Octane for Embergen because everything exists natively in C4D helps also helps Redshift.

Dave

Sorry...but I simply do not have enough faith to be an atheist.

1 hour ago, dfred said:

Just as a side note in case anybody didn't know. EmberGenFX is free for Octane users as well as World Creator. Downloadable from otoy.com. I have Octane, but I haven't tried the freebies out yet.

Ah you made my ears perk up for a moment there but seems you have to be an Enterprise subscriber which is twice the Octane only subscription. :smiley-greet008:

Yeah, from the outside, Insydium fits so obviously, that there must be a deeper reason that they haven't been bought yet. Maybe it's money, maybe it doesn't fit with Maxon's core-rewrite/scene-node strategy, maybe their tech has a hard performance ceiling... who knows...

12 hours ago, MJV said:

Ah you made my ears perk up for a moment there but seems you have to be an Enterprise subscriber which is twice the Octane only subscription. :smiley-greet008:

Hmm. It says EmberGen is available for both Studio and Enterprise users on the announcement page.

Also on the rental page.

Although, for me, perpetual Enterprise is the only way.  Studio is too limiting with no more than 2 GPUs and no network rendering. So I wouldn't know if it's actually available under Studio downloads page. Just assuming.