Future Performance Upgrades

Hello,

Are there any plans/rumors that cinema 4d will get performance boosts in the future? My studio works on very complex scenes and is moving more and more into complex scenes with animation. Cinema 4d's viewport is quite slow and unresponsive. We as a studio have been looking at Clarisse as a possible solution. 

Do you think Cinema 4d can catch up to Clarisse for working on complex scenes and animations and get real time viewport performance? 

Would love to hear peoples thoughts.

C4D will by all accounts get a significant speed bump when Maxon switches out the old object system backend with the new neutron node core. Whether this will happen soon enough for your needs  is a question that nobody currently has an answer to.

@HrvojeThat's great to know! I am assuming the goal is to migrate all of cinema 4d's tools and features over to this fast viewport mode correct? Appreciate the link you referenced, very cool to see that feature in action! In theory would this feature work with instanced alembic animated characters? I am thinking for massive animated crowd scenes. 

@imashination I am happy to hear that is the end goal at least! 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey @Hrvoje !

I'm working on a scene with multiple animated characters (no crowd stuff or anything that massiv), some environment meshes and props, and I'm having a hard time getting good playback speeds. I've reduced all the meshes, some down to a sweet N64 looking level, set viewport quality to low, turned off materials, etc. No dynamics, massive cloner setups or subdivisions going on. This has improved navigation speeds a lot, but it's still struggling to play back at 24 fps.

I have a decent workstation with dual 12 core xeon golds, 96gb ram and a 3090 gpu, so I'm not sure if this is down to a hardware or software issue. It's hard to time out animations when I have to do viewport exports to watch it smoothly.

My question is if this will be improved with the neutron core as well, or with other updates currently in the working. Or if there's anything I can do on my end to further improve the playback speeds in R25, but I guess that's not really a topic for this thread.

I'm afraid my magic 8 ball has no answers right now. We simply won't know until it happens. Huge speedups are to be expected when working with large numbers of cloned and parametric data (100,000 trees in a forest for example) but the slowest elements of character animation are generally the deformation system and if using mocap data, large numbers of keys on the timeline. 

To Petter specifically: which xeon gold chips do you have? Typically those sorts of cpus are more geared towards lots of lower effort parallel workloads, often they come with low single thread clock speeds which aren't good for workstation use.

Copyright Core 4D © 2023 Powered by Invision Community