StarTrek: Discovery - VFX Breakdown Sequences

HappyPolygon

• Customer

So apparently the StarTrek - Discovery Season 4 has started and I am very excited about it.

I used to hate StarTrek and love StarWars but my feelings changed after Disney bought LucasFilms (except The Mandalorian). My feeling towards StarTrek changed after the last 3 movies.

StarTrek - Discovery begun in Season 1 somewhat at the same concept as the previous series but had superior CG. As the story progressed the scenario became more and more appealing. I like series that start a bit slow and predictive but show future potential. StarTrek - Discovery is now out of control with a re-imagined futuristic StarFleet closer to other contemporary SciFi futuristic concepts. 

Screenshot_3.jpg.1960d1e803fd46eaaae5295e43be56fa.jpg

I like the Intro sequence Spin-offs tailored for each Season and sometimes for special episodes. The intro mimics wireframe renders and FUI.

Screenshot_4.jpg.fb2956cdd4bf2273bf743b053c8437f6.jpg

For a TV show, the complexity of many scenes is just incredible.

Screenshot_8.jpg.91d0034fa8482954cc633b8e725e8141.jpg

Screenshot_7.jpg.949893e8864a56497eacfb41e9a146cf.jpg

Screenshot_6.jpg.e645ec0865d3999267540335182a8d9b.jpg

At the end of Season 2 there is a huge battle spanning in two episodes. The amount of particles, explosion's and spacecrafts made the quality look parallel to the last battle of The Rise of Skywalker.

Screenshot_9.jpg.8ab46dcc5ce6e756a565f29a65cdc601.jpg

Screenshot_11.jpg.fdcf5679218b81ce3d5edd080b252188.jpg

Below you will find some VFX breakdowns from all seasons

And here's a time-lapse setting the control bridge stage

Unfortunately, for me, neither ST: Discovery, especially Picard are not even close to what we are use to get from these shows. DS9, Voyager, even more recent Enterprise are far more interesting to me. Regarding VFX, well, those older ones cant really compete with newer ones, even though, for their time, they were great. Saying all this, doesn't mean I hated Discovery or Picard. D was ok, I just hated that in every episode at least one person cried, ridoncilous. 😄 

4 minutes ago, Cairyn said:

Only in the US (and maybe Canada?). Everywhere else, Discovery has been pulled from Netflix and cannot be watched any more. Not just Season 4, but all of it.

Yea, I can confirm, I cannot watch it anymore.

1 hour ago, Igor said:

Unfortunately, for me, neither ST: Discovery, especially Picard are not even close to what we are use to get from these shows. DS9, Voyager, even more recent Enterprise are far more interesting to me. Regarding VFX, well, those older ones cant really compete with newer ones, even though, for their time, they were great. Saying all this, doesn't mean I hated Discovery or Picard. D was ok, I just hated that in every episode at least one person cried, ridoncilous. 😄 

Yea, I can confirm, I cannot watch it anymore.

If you have the time, S2 and S3 of Discovery is more faithful towards original Star Trek than experimental ST.

In the meantime, I´ll get my fix of SciFi from Foundation (not close to the source material either, but it was very difficult to adapt anyway)

52 minutes ago, luchifer said:

If you have the time, S2 and S3 of Discovery is more faithful towards original Star Trek than experimental ST.

I watched everything, but I was not impressed. 😉  What I liked was mycelium technology which was inspired by Paul Statements theory, a mushroom guy.

I don't find much in these franchise's past-decade efforts to replace, or even compare with the original Star Trek, the original Star Wars and Star Trek Next Generation.

Deep Space Nine was sometimes interesting; the original Wrath of Khan Star Trek movie was a fun romp. But I prefer the cerebral explorations of the original show and the optimism/pro-human world view. These beloved franchises are now in a state of hard entropy, IMO. A death spiral.

Star Trek has abandoned provocative intellectual material and drifted into predictable shoot-em-up action while bowing to the sanctioned 'gods' and 'scriptures' of our day. 

I have zero interest even in watching a trailer for any of the new Star Wars & Star Trek content, though I will always pay attention to strong mograph treatments. 🙂

So I will commend the mograph treatment above where the Star Trek enterprise is traversing a world that is a mash-up of macro, micro and conceptual. That is very compelling, imo, though far removed from the shows/movies themselves.

These are great, thanks for sharing.  I’m a long time Star Trek fan, even love the original slow motion picture.  I thought the first season of Discovery was a little weird but I still enjoyed it, I thought the second season was great! Can’t wait to dig into the 4th.  It’s very different from the originals, but I  thought they did great.

I just watched the season premiere, the effects were amazing as usual for this show. It was a little apparent that covid protocols were in place... many of actors were distances from each other most of the time and there was a greater dependence on digital sets. None of this took away from the show, it was just something i noticed. I like Discovery and Picard, they have their faults, so did all the other series. Next generation was pretty embarrassing the first 2 seasons at times but while I think Discovery is particularly overwrought with emotional cue cards, they have taken Star trek  into  new directions. I never wanted any new Star trek to be a new Next Generation or Original Series so I am fine seeing what new creators come up with. So far they are entertaining and that's fine. Some of the earlier shows could be pretty one the nose and heavy handed and I do sort of miss that now and then but I'm sure these new shows willet there.  LOL I am not in love with the programmable material stuff, the ships reforming into now shapes doesn't work for me visually but it's all the highest quality stuff to look at! 

Honestly, Discovery was interesting to watch but not as thought-provoking as the original slate of TV shows that Paramount aired on public TV up until they  launched their subscription service.  Interestingly enough, when Netflix aired Discovery outside the US, it started with "A Netflix Presentation" -- which led me to believe they were funding it.  I had to spend 2 months in Malaysia for work and streamed seasons 1 and 2.  I tried the VPN trick to stream Season three back in the US but Netflix plugged that hole.  I can see why Paramount pushed for Netflix to stop showing any season of Discovery as I would imagine it is probably the top show on Paramount Plus for ST fans given that Picard has been largely panned.  

Discovery, while good, is not perfect.  Sorry, I just can't go along with mushrooms being the backbone of a new interstellar mode of travel.  Interesting concept for a single episode, but begins to become laughable as a major plot driver for an entire season.   The best part of Discovery is Michelle Yeoh --- what a great villian!  Plus I have always been a fan.

Relative to EFX --- yes, very good.  But great effects can keep your eyeballs engaged but not your heart.  IMHO: Something was missing from Season 1 and 2.  Not sure what, but obviously had the show really captured my heart I would have signed up to Paramount Plus for Seasons 3 and 4.

Speaking of EFX, not a real fan of this topology:

image.png.ec97aa6d953bb112ba4bc0cf57dc6539.png

Sorry...but I simply do not have enough faith to be an atheist.

On 11/19/2021 at 8:14 PM, HappyPolygon said:

StarTrek - Discovery begun in Season 1 somewhat at the same concept as the previous series but had superior CG. As the story progressed the scenario became more and more appealing. I like series that start a bit slow and predictive but show future potential. StarTrek - Discovery is now out of control with a re-imagined futuristic StarFleet closer to other contemporary SciFi futuristic concepts. 

Na, I have to disagree, Season 1 had nothing of previous Trek, not even at the beginning. And then it got worse... I wouldn't say I hate it, but I hate the fact that the producers turned it into thrash that tries to copy other stuff. The stories don't make much sense, and there are no characers that I can care about. Especially Burnham is hard to accept as the shows lead. And this is not because I don't like strong female roles -Kira is one of Treks best character for me - but this combination of arrogance and the fact that she has to be part of every problem's solution and that she can disobey orders and never faces any consequences (besides being promoted to captain in season 3) is the biggest failure of this series for me. And with all the crying and so on it is just over-acted (as most of the cast imo) Oh yeah, and the scripts... sooo bad. Especially the AI thing in season two and the seven signals... what a mess. Season 3 was slightly better, but also not good. Here the characters got really unlikable in some places (jokes about the remains on the poor Section 31 guy sticking to someone' boots and having to clean up the spore drive chamber of his remains - who thinks this is funny, or even closely in the moral mindset of Star Trek?).

The best of Discovery so far was Cpt. Pike. So I really hope to be able to see Strange New Worlds legaly in Germany, but I doubt it. As for the VFX: it is executed well, but I don't like the shots themselves, to dark, to much going on, too many gimmicks like bots on the ships outer surface, a maze of rollercoasters inside the ship, just stupid.... To be honest, Is till prefer the model shots from TNG and DS9 over new Treks CGI, but of course the CGI is better than that of DS9. But there it was just used to support the story and worked to great effect. In shows like Discovery or Picard it is sometimes overdone. And good VFX doesn't cure the problems of a show or movie.  I would still watch Season 4, because I just love Trek and hope they get their act together... So unfortunately I would be one of the many viewers who swear about every episode afterwards, but still improve the statistics for Kurzman and Co. I am just too curious 😉 But I wont be sad if I wont be able to watch it.

Picard S1 had its own problems (the story, GoT-like sexual tension between romulan siblings, eye removal on screen...), but I  am kind of looking forward to season 2, mainly because of Q.

As for good SF, I am much more excited about rewatching DS9, new seasons of The Orville and The Expanse (too bad it will end after this season), and Foundation. Too bad we now need 213 subscriptions to watch all this stuff. Will give Cowboy Bebop a try these days. I was also intrigued by the trailer for Apple's Invasion. So I guess I will have to try a Apple subscription soon.

Any other tips for good SF?

On 11/19/2021 at 11:15 PM, Igor said:

I watched everything, but I was not impressed. 😉  What I liked was mycelium technology which was inspired by Paul Statements theory, a mushroom guy.

It is an interesting idea, but the execution storywise was again bad. Especially the fact that they discover that it destroys the beings living in mycelium space, decide to not use it any more at the end of the episode, forget about that, and then three episodes later go happy spore jumping again. Ah, so much nonsense and espcially blunt copying of axisting ideas... I have to get out of rant mode. It is what it is. But it is not good 🤪