Folding blades Rig with Xpresso

Rafaelsfx
Go to solution Solved by Cairyn,

Normally I would say, use a joint chain, but that doesn't give me the desired shape. Putting the joint points on an arc with variable radius doesn't give you that parabola shape either. If you create two splines for the stretched and arced versions and morph between them, the joints will move linearly which is not correct either.

Unless someone has a more direct idea, you may be stuck with calculating the curve yourself. (Or half of the arc, as the thing is symmetric.) Each segment would be weighted to represent a piece of the needed angle. The primary angle would be given as user data and model the "spread angle" of the first segment. The other angles would model the weighted chain down to the vertical of the middle segment. That part is easy.

Then you can calculate the actual positions of the segments with simple trigonometric functions. The lower half will be symmetric so you don't need to do it all again.

Before I start doing an actual script for that I will wait for the usual geniuses to find a nicer way though 😇

The original consists of segments though, which are linked at certain joint points. It is easy to hide changes in length for a continuous object, but if static segments are not precisely connected, they will fall apart at these joints.

The difficulty here is that the sum of the lengths of the segments is shorter than the length or an arc or parabola going through the joints. So, mapping the joints to an integral continuous solution will not work.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.