Projecting splines

Go to solution Solved by Cerbera,

Oh dear I think I should know this by now but believe me ive always got round the problem by using other methods but on this occasion I want to try and see if ive just been doing it wrong all this time.

I need to project a spline of a label onto a bottle but because the label actually wraps around the bottle to some extent but but not the whole way when I use the project spline tool it tends to apply the part of the label thats facing the object directly rather than applying the spline around the shape. Am I doing something wrong with this method? Or is there a much simpler way to achieve this? Ive tried using all sorts of other settings but get no where. 

Thanks for any guidance on this no doubt simple matter for some.

result02.png

project01.png

project splines prob.c4d

Nope - you can't successfully project that using screen space or planarly, because it goes over the edges, and there is nothing behind it to catch the points.

The way to do this most nicely will be with wrap deformer followed by taper deformer, but ideally not involving splines at all, which should be used merely as a reference for building the label properly out of polys, which can deform cylindrically most easily and most controllably !

Or, if you must use splines (which will lead to surface problems you later will need to solve) then why not work with symmetry and spline snapping, and spline pen directly on to the surface of the bottle ?

CBR

• Solution

Here we go - yep that first plan works AND using the spline... but I recommend using those deformers on an extrude you make out of the spline rather than the spline itself. Like so...

785804195_cbrlabelfix.jpg.f9d9abf13e3c7a9b3fda59306d491d78.jpg  558085248_cbrlabelfix2.jpg.74ab7a19f39f15e1896f0fab908c8aaa.jpg

Also changed spline interpolation to uniform, and gave the extrude regular grid caps, and very high density, which is why it can bend nicely...

image.png.c284a8b1fd86889fd47fd0c72f2d5232.png

CBR