Fix one end of a cloth to an object?

Go to solution Solved by Cerbera,

Been looking this up for a while but I'm new to cloth tag so I might be trying to do this in completely the wrong way.

Here's a very simple scene example of what I'm trying to do.  The orange plane has a cloth tag.  The green cube object has a cloth collider.  I want to attach the end of the orange cloth to the top of the green cube, so that when I play the animation, the cloth falls down around the green object and hangs off the top.

image.png.8a4ac7798f88bbe534b69f84cb869d83.png

When I play this, the cloth falls down on the green object.  One problem here is that it actually stretches massively, and I want to prevent it from stretching at all.  The original plane was 100cm wide, 230cm long with 1cm segments, I thought this would be high enough count to prevent stretching.  I've got flexion and rubber at 0%.

image.png.e76d15e0d5384f845e9bf6f1026bd4e4.png

When the animation continues, the cloth stretches further and then starts to fall off the object.

image.png.b22fdc03a2f178e633e8b2e53ee79b05.png

I've recreated this scene a few times in different ways to get it to work.  Pinning the cloth by putting a cloth collider through seems to have some effect but also can seem to form the cloth very oddly.

Is there a way to prevent the cloth from stretching and to get it to hang nicely from the top?

• Solution

Pls upload scene file. There are so many variables here we need that to be able to answer properly.

However, some general rules of thumb:

1. Cloth stretches when it is dropped from a great height with not enough iterations, or too much gravity / not enough drag.

2. Have you pinned all the cloth points, (or better still more than 1 row) over the back of the door like so ?

image.png.20669d8135f75dec6e7fe567fc49a2c7.png

3. Are you using Cloth SDS which is rather pivotal in making it move correctly and have proper thickness ?

4. Is your cloth mesh made of perfect squares like it should be ?

5. What's your gravity doing ? Cos you can make that a lot less than -9.81, and cloth responds by not stretching as much.

CBR

@bezo thanks, yes, I use the help menu's a fair amount.  In my haste I think I skipped most of the dresser section because it just didn't look like what I needed - so my bad!  I'm using the trial version to try and tempt my manager into upgrading so I didn't want to run out of time 😉