Substance Painter - 'Clear Coat'

We don't have a category for Substance yet, so this will have to do !

Not finding much in the manual or in general googling about the Clear Coat option in the texture settings of Substance Painter 2021.

I can turn that on, and nothing happens in the viewport, but I rather wish it would because I am attempting to paint a shark at the moment, and that could really do with a decent clearcoat so we get the wet look on top of what is actually rather rough skin !

Anyone ( @FLima) know how I can make that work, or is it possible that it won't because of my material type, which I guessed at being asm-metal-rough (because sharkskin also has a metallic component).

image.png.88a41454074c968d51adaf1b7bc42117.png

I suppose I could just turn it off, and do a copy of the model with white in a displacement map and give that a clearcoat via a second material in Octane, but just wanted to see if I was doing anything wrong to not get it in Substance.

Also would like artistic opinions about if you think a clear coat is necessary on a shark that is 'underwater', or, more accurately in a fog medium !

Many thanks

CBR

Hey @Cerbera, to be honest, Im not suuuper familiar with clear coat 😮   
But I think you found already the option turn the viewport option for such texture. 
Have you also created a chanel for this specific option on your material? 

For intance, it took me a long time to figure out on how to visualize subsurface scattering, which was activated by this checkbox on display settings

image.png.efaea5562b897d1daa6a284d6585351c.png

then I created a new channel on my current material : 

let me know if this is more or less what you are searching for

image.png

Ooh - no I haven't done that yet ! I have no idea what I'm doing 🙂 Will try that shortly and get back to you ! Cheers buddy...

Ok, there are multiple clear coat maps we can add - I've added 3 of them (not normal or opacity - not sure I need them), and dropped a fill layer in that addresses them, but can't see an immediate difference so far.

image.png.a8edc0127aa3edf740f88844fa5670c2.png

Probably more idiocy on my side, and I'm not sure if I should need to add height / displacement to this to be able to see it...

But yes, thank you, I think the answer is somewhere in here 🙂

CBR

It appears they added a new Adobe Standard Material (ASM) which supports several new features including clear coat. As @FLima suggests you will need to add a new channel to support the ASM shader. Wow, a lot of cool new stuff in this release to play around with...they also improved the automatic UV unwrapping feature which could have an affect on my workflow.

6 hours ago, Cerbera said:

Ooh - no I haven't done that yet ! I have no idea what I'm doing 🙂 Will try that shortly and get back to you ! Cheers buddy...

Ok, there are multiple clear coat maps we can add - I've added 3 of them (not normal or opacity - not sure I need them), and dropped a fill layer in that addresses them, but can't see an immediate difference so far.

image.png.a8edc0127aa3edf740f88844fa5670c2.png

Probably more idiocy on my side, and I'm not sure if I should need to add height / displacement to this to be able to see it...

But yes, thank you, I think the answer is somewhere in here 🙂

CBR

Let us know how it goes with your new tests 🙂
To be honest, I am still discovering somethings in Substance Painter.
Im on a intensive project, having to use it, but it has always been a bit limited to the basics. Painting, masking, etc..
and subsurface every now and then. But yeah, it is a super powerful software, so I am always curious about it.

5 hours ago, Freemorpheme said:

In terms of your second question, your shark would seemingly only need a clear coat if it is out of the water, in the water it would seem rough. The best effect would be a displaced caustics effect on the top surface, maybe?

That's a very good point ! It is going to be mostly in underwater renders, and although I am going to animate it a full breach might be a bit beyond me 🙂 I do indeed plan to do caustics and god rays, and have a special app that generates the maps for me I can directly apply to Octane lights.

Bearing that in mind I think I may just ignore / disable the clearcoat options in substance for now, and just do the old 'displaced model' trick to add a native octane clearcoat over the top of my substance mat in any scenes where I need it.

Thanks for the input everyone - I will come back and look at this further when my substance skills are a bit more advanced !

CBR

Copyright Core 4D © 2023 Powered by Invision Community