Layers - how to remove all

Hi Guys

Should have learnt this already but never really had the need, Ive received a file to work on and its all set up with layers, how can I get rid of all that and just have a big stack of objects in my manager as usual with no layers.

proper doing my head in that I cant just see or grab an object.

cheers

Deck

Screenshot 2021-12-02 at 12.10.18.png

Bit less zippy than you'd hope for, unless I have been missing something all these years...

1. In the layer manager there... right click one of the little colour swatches and do 'select by layer', which should select everything on that layer...

2. In the OM, right click one of the selected objects and find 'remove from layer'. Objects go back into purgatory (default layer)

3. Rinse and repeat for other layers

4. Layers manager, Edit, Delete unused layers.

Or at least that's how it works in R25. Don't 'think' R18 is different in that regard...

CBR

Hi CBR

these things always pop up when yer in a rush, I dont get anything in my OM when I select by layer, think there is something else going on there, I have just worked out I can select all and paste into a new document so I may go that way for now, but will have to sit and learn it properly I guess.

Thanks for the tips tho.

Deck

Layers itself are just kind of "bookmarks" for sorting objects and other things, but in result they have no influence on scene. I think just simple deleting all layers just "unmark" everything without any effect on whole scene.

It´s just "helper"...

Now I understand the question even less.

So the actual problem is not with the layers but that the objects don't appear in the OM? And/or in the viewport? Or what?

If objects are not in the OM (when imported from some other program, mostly), this may be a matter of the OHIDE flag.

In the object manager (top right) select 'Layers' from the view menu. It looks like the previous person to use this project told the object manager to only display objects based on their layer assignment.

Now you can just select all the layers in the layer manager and hit delete

Or worst case scenario, select everything and copy paste it to a fresh project without any weird settings.

...but if the layer mode in the OM is switched on, then the layers (from the OP's first post) should be shown, including all their assigned objects? If the objects are not assigned to a layer, they are not shown, but the empty layer still appears in the OM, so the mode would be readily recognizeable? The only way for the OM to show nothing would be if the layer mode is switched on but there are no layers at all.

Thanks everyone, for trying to help an old fart sort out what is no doubt a simple issue, and I feel I should have learned it by now, as it has happened before.

Just to clarify, I do see all the objects in the viewport and can select them individually if required, but still nothing in the OM, bar two skies when there should be possibly hundreds of objects.

Ive put in a couple of grabs below with menus pulled out, one as I open the file and the next one after deleting all the layers.

Pasting into a new file does work and that's the way Im proceeding at the moment.

Im actually taking someone else's file that's been done for a visual and preparing it for printing / milling, so need to have a good squint at everything and then chop it to bits. Normally only work with files Ive prepared myself and I can already see its not ideal. Cant post or show the contents as its an upcoming promo but thanks again for your indulgence.

Deck

grabs below before and after deleting layers, viewport is always fine.

Screenshot 2021-12-02 at 19.13.20.png

Screenshot 2021-12-02 at 19.12.40.png

Apart from the filter that is set to "Sky", which (as Bezo already said) will filter out all objects except those containing "Sky" in the name, you also seem to have the CV plugin installed that creates the Default Layer and adds new objects to that default layer. If you want to get rid of layers altogether, you may need to deinstall that.

Although... since it's the filter that is the problem and not the layers, maybe you should leave the poor things alone. You may need them later.

Copyright Core 4D © 2023 Powered by Invision Community