How can I create a curvature-based gradient ?

Go to solution Solved by srek,

• Customer

I was watching a Geometry Nodes Blender tutorial video, totally dull and uninteresting, but there was a moment where he threw in a material and colored Suzanne based on surface curvature (or at least that's how I interpret it). There wasn't any information about how to make the material it was a demonstration of how to apply materials on Geometry Nodes.

I'm wondering how can that be replicated in C4D... It's definitely not an AO shader. Lumas, Spectral and Thin Film are camera position-dependent.

I think RS can do it but I don't have it.

Could a Material Node help with that ?

Screenshot_3.jpg.58711612f8a47b0bc5473395ab208255.jpg

hmm

You can still improve a lot with those settings. IT might not be good enough like blender but it can be better than that. 

Try changing some settings. play with it. Im sending a screenshot with something i did very fast.

cheers

Screenshot_1.jpg

Yeah that's essentially a curvature map, such as the type that gets auto generated from topology when you move a mesh into Substance Painter for example, or you can get volume builder objects to produce more or less directly, which is the principal way of texturing those, given that UV mapping is out, in the main, with such high poly meshes... Inverse AO is the only native way I am aware of to get something very similar to that out of Cinema on standard polygon objects unless you have that plugin I saw on the Core a while back... possibly called something like 'Curvature Map' !

CBR

There was a beautiful shader in the past from ArtOnBit studio named Surface Curvature Shader (with improvements lately renamed to Real Curvature Shader) which has amazing results. It works up to R19 (if remember correctly) and then developer finnished with updates and leave developing c4d plugins.

Currently can be also used curvature map created by Volume Mesher (in some cases)

CS_VM.png.f5db6d95003ab4e8af3fabefc2525959.png

• Solution

Scene Nodes contain a Calculate Curvature node that can do this. Sinc eit is mainly targeted towards scene nodes it creates an own weight that you can't use in the Object Manager.

Please find attached a scene that includes a version of that Asset that uses the first Weigth tag on an object to store the curvature in.

1572933461_Curvature02.png.127f44088d3991c3675ab221c0e2a020.png

Curvature 02.c4d

Copyright Core 4D © 2023 Powered by Invision Community