Learning scene nodes

martijnP

I'm trying to figure out if learning the scene-node system is worth while at the moment.

I can't find any tutorials or manuals that explain it in a holistic or meaningful way. The only thing I've seen are basically multiple extrude with procedural selections. Or tech previews from R23.

It's just a bit too complicated for me to figure it out myself. I've worked in Houdini, so maybe I'm expecting the wrong things.  

Can someone point me towards learning resources?

I sympathize. Modelling is very much 'my thing' but as scene nodes isn't quite ready for proper deployment in any client jobs I tend to get, where trad modelling is much faster to get what I need, I find myself delaying the full-on in-depth learning of Scene Nodes until such time as they are a) more fully integrated and b) more learning material is available. Of course as SN are relatively new, and still under development it is perhaps understandable that  training mats are a bit thin on the ground initially, though I know there are definitely people working on them for the future.

CBR

• 2 weeks later...

Maxon needs to force themselves to put out scene node training instead of having guests come on showing stuff they've done in previous versions of C4D or having half the stream taken up with Red Giant plugins.     I'm not trying to down what they are doing.. they do more than others like Autodesk.   But I feel if they have spent a HUGE amount of development time coming up with these scene nodes, they should be highlighting it a bit more with focused streams on how scene nodes actually benefits the artist.  I don't mean just making capsules.  I mean doing hardcore node work for something you'd see on a client job.    Right now scene nodes seem like a footnote in c4d help files and marketing materials.

I despise mentioning Blender, but quite a few blender youtubers have dedicated large amounts of content specifically for their geometry nodes in 2.9 and moreso with 3.0.. even while it was in alpha.

• Customer
16 hours ago, srek said:

At this time scene nodes are still a tech demo, not a release feature.

What kind of capabilities are expected from SceneNodes to be considered a release feature ?

I thought the tech demo status was present only in R23 through S24 and R25 uncovered the final system with the introduction of Capsules. Introducing new nodes is considered normal  improvement.

On 12/10/2021 at 7:10 PM, martijnP said:

I'm trying to figure out if learning the scene-node system is worth while at the moment.

I can't find any tutorials or manuals that explain it in a holistic or meaningful way. The only thing I've seen are basically multiple extrude with procedural selections. Or tech previews from R23.

It's just a bit too complicated for me to figure it out myself. I've worked in Houdini, so maybe I'm expecting the wrong things.  

Can someone point me towards learning resources?

Meanwhile why not ask questions, we will be happy to help 🙂

On 12/23/2021 at 11:06 AM, srek said:

At this time scene nodes are still a tech demo, not a release feature. Nevertheless you can find some nice stuff from Maxon trainers on YouTube.

Aha, that makes a lot of sense why there are not many tutorials yet.

On 12/24/2021 at 11:49 AM, Hrvoje said:

Meanwhile why not ask questions, we will be happy to help 🙂

I have no specific questions. I've been just trying things out and wondering why some nodes don't seem to connect at all. And since I don't understand the basics I have no idea how to figure out which nodes work together and which don't.

• 4 months later...

There is a pretty good section on them in the R26 documentation now under "Node Editor".  I FINALLY got lots of questions answered there (though there's plenty more that are still questions).  If you right click in a node's parameter pane and got to the bottom of the context menu to Help it will take you to the documentation for that node if it exists and it does seem to exist for 95% of the nodes.  Sadly, they have carefully anticipated what I'd be particularly interested in and ensured that all such items have no documentation yet! 🙂 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Copyright Core 4D © 2023 Powered by Invision Community