Maxon Announces an Agreement to Acquire ZBrush

HappyPolygon

3 hours ago, zeden said:

Just an advice if you are developing a product or service: never listen to Social Media. Only the angry ones post there. The happy ones never post. As seen in the twitter thread of pixologic: maybe 70 voice angry opinions and  create a frustrated impression. But also almost 460 like the announcement thread. So what to make of it?

Or you can make the effort and look how the social media response to previous Pixologic posts were like, the common responses, specially when announcing upgrades and new tool implementations on Zbrush. Or how the community of Blender reacts when newer things are announced too. People arent idiots and can clearly see and figure out what is really happening, despite you trying to paint a different picture by people's responses.

3 hours ago, zeden said:

Just an advice if you are developing a product or service: never listen to Social Media. Only the angry ones post there. The happy ones never post. As seen in the twitter thread of pixologic: maybe 70 voice angry opinions and  create a frustrated impression. But also almost 460 like the announcement thread. So what to make of it?

Dunno what to make of it. Maybe Twitter needs the option to dislike posts? 😉

9 hours ago, Icecaveman said:

I'll answer your questions, if you first  indulge me in a simpler, shorter question first.

Have you ever done any true, serious 3d sculpting that was usable...and truly meaningful in any of your projects? You already said you spend 80-90% of your time in editing video, not in 3d. How much of that small fraction have you spent in 3d sculpting? 

Let's get real: Have you even spent 20 minutes sculpting anything?

I'll reciprocate and disclose: I've played around with sculpting maybe 10-20 hours, but it's mostly irrelevant in any serious projects that I've ever done.

Your turn.

Jesus Christ, ICM...  I've never used ZBrush, never had an interest in using it, never sculpted anything, never had an interest in sculpting anything, and never had a need to. Was this ambiguous from my earlier questions?

I also never used InDesign, Illustrator, and probably three or four other programs in the Adobe sub I had, but Premiere and (to a lesser extent) AE received some use. I'll be skipping both for Resolve as it can cut, colour and comp all I need for my needs.

Having heard that Maxon are picking ZBrush up, I'm assuming they'll be letting paying customers of Maxon One have access to it at some point. I'm getting that sub with my next iMac, so will have a look when it comes out. But I'm not in a burning hurry to have a look at it, hence me stating earlier in this thread exactly that. But if it's there as part of the sub I'll likely have a look. I have heard the UI is annoying though, and watched a training video on the app a handful of years ago where the instructor spent the first five minutes warning people that the UI was annoying. Go figure.

If you're going to 'indulge' my questions, great, but maybe change your tone while you're at it. If not, don't bother. Even better - a possible future path to avoid pointless clashes in this thread, and on this forum - I'll avoid commenting on your C4D posts in future on these threads if you avoid commenting on mine. Conversations on these topics are generally fine but I strongly suspect if we were face to face in a pub or bar we'd find common ground on something within about 60 seconds and would go from there. But being grilled in bold type over something I've never claimed to use seems typical of the hostility that probably lies in the future in these conversations if we keep going back and forth.

I'm beginning to question the worth of threads here on Maxon topics where 80% of the posts seem to come from ex-C4D users who have no interest in the app currently, and where people who express an interest are viewed with repeated hostility and suspicion.

4 hours ago, jackTheStorm said:

He has a guitar. And he is musician.

He's like Woz.. hasn't worked for Apple for years but finds time to search out articles and comment on all things Apple.   Not sure if it's sad or still passionate about it.

1 hour ago, BoganTW said:

Jesus Christ, ICM...  I've never used ZBrush, never had an interest in using it, never sculpted anything, never had an interest in sculpting anything, and never had a need to. Was this ambiguous from my earlier questions?

Folks, this should never be an epeen contest of who invested more time at X or who is better at Y.

11 hours ago, luchifer said:

Folks, this should never be an epeen contest of who invested more time at X or who is better at Y.

I never said anything of the sort. You and BoganTW need to mis-represent my comments to fabricate some imagined grievance?

Read it again! I conceded that I rarely did serious sculpting and asked BoganTW what his sculpting usage was. The point is that Maxon will predictably raise prices for features that aren't really valued by most customers...all while c4 includes no usable renderer, no particle system, no fluid sims, etc.

Certainly some DCC artist's seriously leverage sculpting heavily and in amazing ways. But that's maybe 10%. (probably <2%)

It will be of little use to users. C4D and Zbrush simply have too few connection points. Also, Maxon is primarily interested in growing, so it is not practical for them to integrate features from one program into the other. Sure a little bridge here a little bridge there, but no real integration. They haven't even integrated redshift yet. So it's about increasing the portfolio to become a big player. That means owning as many tools as possible and getting money from as many people as possible, even from the people who only use a small part of the tools.

The purchase price for ZBrush wasn't cheap! Maxon had to outbid AutoDesk and others. (One would think)

I've carried a hunch in my head for three years. Maxon's software library will all end up in Adobe's hands at the end of the day. Big fish eat the smaller fishes. And the mammoth fish eat them all.

The world will ultimately be reduced to a handful of (apparent) competitors in all software or hardware realms. Global elites seem to like it that way.

As a non-Z-Brush user who has only a limited amount of sculpting experience, what is it that sets Z-Brush's sculpting features apart from any other sculpting brushes in generic DCC apps such as C4D or Blender? Again, without much knowledge in this field, I would think that a wide range of default brushes (grab, pull, flatten etc.), symmetry functionality and masks / stamps should allow you to do most things you have in mind? What is the in-depth functionality that takes Z-Brush beyond these standard capabilites?

4 hours ago, Jops said:

It will be of little use to users. C4D and Zbrush simply have too few connection points. Also, Maxon is primarily interested in growing, so it is not practical for them to integrate features from one program into the other. Sure a little bridge here a little bridge there, but no real integration. They haven't even integrated redshift yet. So it's about increasing the portfolio to become a big player. That means owning as many tools as possible and getting money from as many people as possible, even from the people who only use a small part of the tools.

I dont think that's quite true. A long time ago I had read Maya patented Hotbox so no one else can do the same ( I suppose non comercial apps like Blender / Krita can do whatever they want? ), and if the same applies, both can benefit from each other due on unimaginable ways. Quad Remesher plugin comes to mind, is it the same algorithm zremesh uses? If so, then C4D can add zremesh algorithm it into their arsenal of tools, Polygroup selection C4D. Zbrush on the other hand, can replicate mograph for a simpler Array Mesh tool, wich kinda sucks for precision modeling.

And of course they can add Redshift Bridge, I mean if Zbrush already has a Keyshot Bridge, a long time ago I did a soldier ( don't mind the shield, I was learning ) in Zbrush and used Keyshot Bridge to render it. Took a long time, and I know Redshift does it faster.

Disclaimer: I really hope for the best case scenario, but If Redshift experience is to be learned from, the adquisition wont be meaningful to us, except we will end up paying to Maxon what we should have been paying to Pixologic in the first place (bye years of free updates), but doing Bridges between Maxon apps helps them selling us Maxon One, so.. if they want to milk us money, they better start doing Redshift Bridge.

12132395_10153730643846554_5692596089442199174_o.jpg

• Guest unfeatured this topic