Maxon Announces an Agreement to Acquire ZBrush

HappyPolygon

11 minutes ago, Daniel Seebacher said:

As a non-Z-Brush user who has only a limited amount of sculpting experience, what is it that sets Z-Brush's sculpting features apart from any other sculpting brushes in generic DCC apps such as C4D or Blender? Again, without much knowledge in this field, I would think that a wide range of default brushes (grab, pull, flatten etc.), symmetry functionality and masks / stamps should allow you to do most things you have in mind? What is the in-depth functionality that takes Z-Brush beyond these standard capabilites?

Neither Blender of C4D can work effortless with millions of polygons like Zbrush does due to Zbrush pixols. They just cant. In Blender you can sorta avoid some of the crawling by dividing your mesh into manageable parts, that's how you see artists doing some complicated sculptures using Blender. Without offending Blender users- I myself use Blender often -there are sooo many tools in Zbrush, is not even a competition, and It doesnt have to be, one is a generalist 3DCC (C4D / Blender)

and the other is a specialized app.

And this is without taking into account the plethora of tools Zbrush like ArrayMesh, NanoMesh, Zremesher, LiveBooleans, Cloth, Bevel, History stack, ZModeler, Insert Mesh tools, Spotlight, Decimation, Transpose, etc.

5 minutes ago, luchifer said:

Neither Blender of C4D can work effortless with millions of polygons like Zbrush does due to Zbrush pixols. They just cant.

Zbrush is also a true free-form sculpting tool. It can generate and remove geometry, modify the topology dynamically without constraint. 

Cinema 4D's Sculpt cannot modify the topology of the base polygon model. It's just a limited multi-resolution brush deformer. 

To get back to the topic, people who think Zbrush will eventually be integrated in Cinema 4D will be disappointed. Zbrush treats data totally differently than CInema 4D.  Merging them is not just about migrating tools, but re-writing their core, rethinking everything.

At best we can hope for better import/export tools directly from Cinema 4D's interface.

Just now, EricNS said:

Zbrush is also a true free-form sculpting tool. It can generate and remove geometry, modify the topology dynamically without constraint. 

Cinema 4D's Sculpt cannot modify the topology of the base polygon model. It's just a limited multi-resolution brush deformer. 

To get back to the topic, people who think Zbrush will eventually be integrated in Cinema 4D will be disappointed. Zbrush treats data totally differently than CInema 4D.  Merging them is not just about migrating tools, but re-writing their core, rethinking everything.

At best we can hope for better import/export tools directly from Cinema 4D's interface.

Yes, exactly, I dont expect to see Zbrush inside C4D or the other way around, but I do hope to see bridges and patented tools / algorithms to find a way.

And before Blender enthusiasts start linking youtube videos saying people will flock from Zbrush to Blender, this is Microsoft Paint speed painting as its best. Would anyone leave Photoshop for MSPaint?

1 hour ago, Daniel Seebacher said:

As a non-Z-Brush user who has only a limited amount of sculpting experience, what is it that sets Z-Brush's sculpting features apart from any other sculpting brushes in generic DCC apps such as C4D or Blender? Again, without much knowledge in this field, I would think that a wide range of default brushes (grab, pull, flatten etc.), symmetry functionality and masks / stamps should allow you to do most things you have in mind? What is the in-depth functionality that takes Z-Brush beyond these standard capabilites?

Check this out for a little example. Auto Retopo and Photoshop like selection Tools as modeling workflow. This is an example of the crazy tools in Zbrush nobody else has in that quality and fluidity. And it also shows how Zbrush is kind of different from the rest.

5 hours ago, zeden said:

Check this out for a little example. Auto Retopo and Photoshop like selection Tools as modeling workflow. This is an example of the crazy tools in Zbrush nobody else has in that quality and fluidity. And it also shows how Zbrush is kind of different from the rest.

Something was in LWCad

13 hours ago, EricNS said:

Why are you comparing ZBrush against one C4D tool?
If we compare both applications, then the advantage of ZBrush is only that it processes the information about the grid with the central processor and in some simplified form, cutting off the third coordinate from the vertices. And also the presence of specialized brushes. But this is a specialized software for sculpting, when the cinema is specialized in motion graphics.

Decimation Master is almost the same as Polygon Reduction
DynaMesh is an absolute analogue of Volume Builder + Volume Mesher
ZRemesher - Remesh works reasonably well on simple organic and hard surfaces. It needs pre-assignment of polygroups or splines to indicate how to close the loops, otherwise you will end up with a completely wrong edge flow.
Remesh in C4D gives you a choice of how to build a quad or triangular topology, you can also specify the direction for the flow of edges with splines.
C4D also has a method for projecting sculpting from higher levels to lower levels. Brushes, masks and types of symmetry. The listed elements are also in Blender.
A new Substance Modeler application is coming soon, which allows you to sculpt in VR.

Pixologic is no longer an innovative company, and the market is very competitive Maxon just saved ZBrush from Autodesk or Foundry.
Considering that official users have not paid for the application for 10 or more years, they should be proud of themselves that they pushed Pixologic to this step.

I work in ZBrush, but I still hate its navigation and its extremely cluttered and ill-conceived interface. Like any other application, it has a ton of bugs and downright stupid workflows. I hate this deal because Maxon won't devote enough time to the C4D team.
Better if they buy RealFlow or Reaction https://www.jawset.com/pages/reactions-beta/

On 12/14/2021 at 3:49 PM, johanal said:

whiners.  I dare them to jump ship and find something else even remotely competing with Zbrush for that kind of work.  

A lot of Hard Surface techniques for games(beveling shitty geo) etc like this, have alternatives in blender or even Houdini.

Zbrush is used in a lot of use cases outside of traditional sculpting and yes those people will jump ship if necessary. I use it as a utility tool all the time but have found other comparable workflows in Blender. 

• Guest unfeatured this topic
  • 3 weeks later...

Copyright Core 4D © 2023 Powered by Invision Community