Nodes Comparison

Icecaveman

1 hour ago, HappyPolygon said:

Screenshot_3.jpg.31c1299a7dcae523c892d773434003b6.jpg

This is exactly the reason why we needed nodes in C4D in the first place. 
Modeling this in C4D, totally doable, very easy. Making the "Wafer" effect is even easier with the current state of nodes in C4D. But making this whole setup with real-time drawing the boundaries of the structure and have the rest of the area grow foliage ... I have a strong feeling that this is not possible (yet).
These kind of demonstrations make me wonder though... Why make such an elaborate node structure for one model ? Doesn't the client know the area of the construct yet ? Don't get me wrong, generative/evolutionary Architecture is a thing but C4D, Blender and Houdini are not CAD apps.
A variety of similarly looking structures could be a time saver for game assets but I think that a tool like that is more suited to be natively used in the game engine itself.

I don't know the motivation of the Blender artist to build such a spectacular example of programmable design.

Do know: it's frikkin' amazing. This guy can take this one example and get a job at any studio in the world...or win countless freelance projects. 

As for your thought that such a thing makes more sense in a game engine? A bridge from Geo Nodes to Unreal is in development by a third party. (Don't know much about it yet).

Here, from the same artist:

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When working with nodes, goal is actually to create procedural system that will enable an artist to generate large, random structures easy and fast. So for example tehnical artist would create a building generator, or road generator, while typical artist woukd take that system to populate the world. Creating procedural system makes no sense with everything. No one needs procedural system for donuts. Also sometimes these procedural system can enable you to make much more randomness and test out far more options and looks then typical modeling for example. Thats mostly the case with more organic shapes. Proceduralism can enable an artist to experiment more to get cool unexpected results and so on...

• Customer
47 minutes ago, Igor said:

I am really not interested in what cinema 4d can do with  MoGraph or Fields. This thread is about nodes and only nodes.

I totally understand that.
It wasn't my intention to ruin the thread or change the topic.
I just wanted to prevent any bias from new C4D users towards other applications with a node system. 
If you need that deleted PM me (or delete it yourself), no problem, it'll be like it never happened. I don't bother writing.

2 hours ago, Igor said:

When working with nodes, goal is actually to create procedural system that will enable an artist to generate large, random structures easy and fast. So for example tehnical artist would create a building generator, or road generator, while typical artist woukd take that system to populate the world. Creating procedural system makes no sense with everything. No one needs procedural system for donuts. Also sometimes these procedural system can enable you to make much more randomness and test out far more options and looks then typical modeling for example. Thats mostly the case with more organic shapes. Proceduralism can enable an artist to experiment more to get cool unexpected results and so on...

I agree with this generally, but also believe that procedural work flow sometimes includes broader range of things. Some simple things.

With some software the workflow is nodal no matter what you are doing. Nuke, for instance. Or Substance Designer. Parts of Houdini, from what I see as an outsider?

4 hours ago, Icecaveman said:

Do you know if the Indie license is forever locked to one computer, or can you de-activate and install on a different computer? (I'll be building a new system soon).

I have 2 licenses with my Indie subscription that allows me the option to run it on 2 computers. You can transfer them a limited number of times (10?).

I suspect we will see some interesting products that simplify and leverage Geometry Nodes for niche purposes. This of course is already true w/Houdini and will be with future c4d.

Here is an early example of one such product. It's simple but pretty cool. And it only took the dev a few weeks to build.

I'm a bit confused about what this topic is actually about. If we're comparing what each app is capable of outputting, then that is not necessarily dependent on whether it uses nodes or not. In fact, nodes are not even a requirement for an app to be procedural.

Nodes just carry data, and serve some specific purpose. For me, the main advantage of using nodes is scene-readability. I used to create procedural stuff in Cinema 4D, and when I'd open the same scene two weeks later, it'd take me ages to decipher what it was that I had actually done. C4D, prior to Scene Nodes, offered no visualisation of how your data was flowing. 

In Houdini, regardless of how complex a structure I have made, all I need to do is go through the nodes, top-to-bottom, and in 5 minutes I know exactly what it was that I did.

There are other things to be said about node-based workflows, and if we're going to compare nodes between apps, I think we need to compare the implementation of these nodes and how easy the workflow is. XPresso was hands down the worst node UX for me. It was shockingly bad in how it required you to interact with it. Houdini, on the other hand, has by far the best workflow for nodes I've ever used. The UX for it is sublime, just packed to the gills with endless little helpful usability features that make things easier for the user.

I haven't tried Blender, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't much closer to Houdini than Xpresso in usability. I've read some not-so-good things about C4D's SN workflow though, so that isn't inspiring too much confidence right now.

The thread started out strictly as an exploration of Blender's new Geometry Nodes.

Igor had the idea to broaden the thread so we could look at similar procedural (non-destructive) work flows with other software.  I like that he expanded it.